Ingredients, Not Recipes

conmaur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are plenty of recipes, for diabetics, around. As a reasonable cook. I would prefer guidance on suitable ingredients( no compromises) so i can create my own dishes. Recipes often contain ingredients i don`t like or are too expensive.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This evening we are having broccoli and cauliflower gratin which has spicy sausage in it. No expensive or outlandish ingredients and at 12g carbs it is a great dish. Recipe on Dietdoctor. You could adapt recipes to your own taste without going to any extra bother.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
There are plenty of recipes, for diabetics, around. As a reasonable cook. I would prefer guidance on suitable ingredients( no compromises) so i can create my own dishes. Recipes often contain ingredients i don`t like or are too expensive.

Suitable ingredients are:
Proteins, eg. meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese.
Fats, eg olive oil, butter, cream, full fat plain yoghurt (Greek), coconut oil, lard and other animal fats.
Above ground vegetables, eg anything leafy, then tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, cauliflower, squashes, sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms, avocado, asparagus.
Flavourings and sauces, eg herbs, garlic, chillies, spices, salt, pepper, Real mayonaise, vinegar, dry wines and non-sugary spirits.
Nuts and seeds, (but do check carb content)

And if you prefer pictures (plus excellent info) scroll down this page to section 2. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb There should be enough there for any creative and capable cook. Happy times, get cooking!
Sally

Ermintrude775

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I can see other groups having a fit at full fat yogurt (why can't I find this in the uk?) butter and coconut oil

Reactions: Serena51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I can see other groups having a fit at full fat yogurt (why can't I find this in the uk?) butter and coconut oil
Probably because it is not labelled like that. It is just called natural Greek (style) yogurt or something similar with no reference to fat or reduced. Check the label, it should be under 5g carbs per 100g.