After Surgery

chloeamy16

Hi, I am a 43yr old Male with Type 2 Diabetes, and have just ( six days ago) had a Total Knee Replacement Operation.
Whilst I was in the Hospital my Blood Sugar Level was checked twice a day before I was given my Metformin Medication.
Before I went in for the Operation I was told by my Diabetic Nurse that there was no need to monitor my Blood Sugar Levels.
I am a little confused to say the least.
Another Question regarding the Hospital is that because I have a Blood Clotting problem, I received two Blood Tranfusions whilst in there, I now have to Inject ENOXAPARIN 60mg, once a day for four weeks. This is to try to prevent any Blood Clots forming in my affected Leg. Would this drug have an effecect on the Blood Sugar Level.
If any one could help with these, I would appreciate it. As you can imagine I am unable to attend my Diabetic Clinic for at least six weeks due to being stuck on crutches to get about.

Kind Regards. :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Cannot see anything about Blood sugar levels but there is a caution for Diabetics:

Hyperkalaemia

Inhibition of aldosterone secretion by unfractionated or low molecular weight heparin can result in hyperkalaemia; patients with diabetes mellitus, chronic renal failure, acidosis, raised plasma potassium or those taking potassium-sparing drugs seem to be more susceptible. The risk appears to increase with duration of therapy, and plasma-potassium concentration should be measured in patients at risk of hyperkalaemia before starting the heparin and monitored regularly thereafter, particularly if treatment is to be continued for longer than 7 days

(Source: BNF61)

This means it can raise your Potassium levels. Best to discuss this with your own Doctor, especially if you are on any other medications. Try and get a telephone Consultation if your Doctor does them, save you hobbling to Health Centre !

Zanshin

I`d say (and just opinion) the advice not to monitor blood sugar levels pre op was bad. I went for a double hernia a couple of years ago, the surgeon requested I halve insulin dosages with my breakfast that day, and let my blood sugar rise over the day to guard against a hypo during the op. I felt terrible before the op, my blood sugar was 17 or 18, then that night they kept me awake all night by waking me every hour to test my blood sugar. Next I was put on an insulin drip, AND told to take my night time insulin - which then caused levels to drop like a stone, prompting a hypo at 4am! This happened at a private hospital (Hospital name removed), not sure the diabtets care would be as bad on the NHS :roll: