How do high sugar spikes make you feel?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w , the ladder thing? I get it. ;) I used to have a round.. :D I wouldn't say I get grumpy though. Just a little "let's get this cordial, social interaction over with..."

:D You won't know how much I smiled reading that, like another T1D did this too :) and as I've said in the T1 stars are us thread before "we are not alone"

Cordial social interaction :p those on a cold dark winters night knocking doors collecting, rain dripping on your head while they spend 5 minutes looking for the money and another 5 minutes slagging their neighbours.... The joys :)

Reactions: Jaylee

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, and greetings from Finland!

Sitting here with a real low and trying to describe a high, well upside down is the world :D

Feeling tired
Feel like walking in mud
Have no strength
Brainwork down at zero power

Correcting immediately when I notice a high

P.S. my low is not that low anymore - takes me always some time to find the right words
to say, as this is not my mother tongue:)

Reactions: briony1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:D You won't know how much I smiled reading that, like another T1D did this too :) and as I've said in the T1 stars are us thread before "we are not alone"

Cordial social interaction :p those on a cold dark winters night knocking doors collecting, rain dripping on your head while they spend 5 minutes looking for the money and another 5 minutes slagging their neighbours.... The joys :)

Matey, :)

I got a scanned pic of me posing with my "hot hatch." It has a ladder rack for no other reason.
The van I subsiquently (&'sensibly bought was endowed with a rack too..) I had a round in and around the Bath area at the time & gave it all up for Rock & roll. (I wound up in R&R, but I wanted a career in theatre.. Don't laugh...)
"Cooooweeee! Mr window cleaner. Do you clear guttering???" Lol, I do now..
There is a part of me that wishes I hadn't jacked it in.. ;) It was a good living! :cool:

Timostags

Tired
Frustrated
Zoned out, I struggle to keep my attention.
Headaches
If it continues or if I have a series of highs I get depression

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Cooooweeee! Mr window cleaner. Do you clear guttering???" Lol, I do now..

Again I lolled at that but aye :) we get that oop north too :)

Did you ever curse careless dog owners after standing in and walking dog or cat c**p right up your ladder rungs?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again I lolled at that but aye :) we get that oop north too :)

Did you ever curse careless dog owners after standing in and walking dog or cat c**p right up your ladder rungs?

The thick clay mud from "builders cleans." & the tears & scratches from Berberis? Grown near the ground windows to deter intruders. :banghead:

Feel free t tag me up on T1SRU or PM. I would hate to breach a thread derail.. ;):cool:

Reactions: kev-w

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
It depends on how long I'm high. I seem to be able to get away with a "basal" around 13mmol/l without any real issues (now on a pump that doesn't happen) and for certain if I maintained that there would be long term consequences. I can spike up to 17mmol/l without any issues as long its for a very short time. Basically over 15mmol/l for an extended period (30min) and I feel horrible. Sleepy with a nasty headache and just feeling unwell. Like Mel said worse than a Hypo and I really suffer after one of those horrible things.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing I'm often guilty of is 'undertreating' a hypo so as not to spike up afterwards, more so now with a Libre than before I'd have to add.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The higher I get the worse I feel (doesn't happen so often anymore thank god) but I usually feel tired, grumpy & I get horrible headaches!!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Our window cleaner puts a card through. We pay him straight to his account. Often within the hour of him finishing.

Re high levels, like my limbs are full of water. Bizarre!

Reactions: kev-w

nina14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know I am high if I have the following personal symptoms

Sticky, or dry mouth syndrome
Weak muscles
Tired feeling
Thirsty and needing to pee a lot

I take a correction as soon as I can usually, been about a week since I went above 10 luckily haven't since, had a few hypos this week and can get a blistering headache when I get a hypo which is a symptom ive developed which I did not used to have, once my sugar goes back up, headache gone

I also find that when my blood sugar drops I get a migraine like headache which goes when my blood sugar goes back up.

Reactions: Dixon1995

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also find that when my blood sugar drops I get a migraine like headache which goes when my blood sugar goes back up.

Its not like a normal headache either it is extrutiating I find, what about yourself?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can get a headache afterwards, hypo hangovers I call them. :(

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once heard the feeling described as "like thinking through treacle". Odd but I know what they meant!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I find that when I'm high (and high doesn't have to be all that high, like 11) I get really short and anything annoys me. Especially the Hangry chocolate labrador first thing in the morning demanding breakfast by jumping four feet off the ground and barking incessantly. Oh wait, that's not being high. He just annoys me when he does that anyway....

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I have no signs or symptoms at all, wether in 30's, 20's or lower. No-one else has brought to my attention any coincidence either.

Have only had one hypo since starting insulin, didn't feel too much then - a bit of a thick head, and feeling like a Belisha beacon was all. Must be generally insensitive!

Reactions: Geoffno6

anthill

Worse than a hypo, tbh, just in a different way. Sluggish, sleepy, unable think clearly, like my blood is thick and treacly.
Yes, me too.
I just want to sleeeeep!!!! *Sigh* You could do a correction with a Low Carb snack. ;) Just a thought. :)

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate Hyper sleep symptoms because it never goes off !

When my sugar goes to 12mmol/L I urinate loads!