Cheerful stuff!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again I presume that has to be uncontrolled diabetes rather than "diabetes". I see they also have a side piece on the processed meat "linked" to breast cancer by Harvard.. another vegan inspired fear piece no doubt..

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I assume they are talking about relative risk here. This is a comparison rather than an absolute value. I.e. It shows the strength of the relationship between a risk factor (diabetes) and a particular type of cancer by comparing the number of cancers in a group of people who have a particular trait with the number of cancers in a group of people who don't have that trait.

For instance, comparing the relative liver cancer risk for people who have diabetes with the relative liver cancer risk in a similar group of people who don't have diabetes. The relative risk is given as a percentage e.g, the risk of liver cancer for diaetics is 100 percent higher than it is for people who don't have diabetes. A relative risk of 100 percent means your risk is twice as high as that of someone without that risk factor. A 200 percent relative risk means that you are three times as likely to develop that condition.

Risk seems greater when put in these terms. A 100 percent increase in risk may seem enormous, but if the risk began as 1 in 100 people, a 100 percent increase in risk means that 2 out of 100 will be affected.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do think that a diabetic is at a higher risk of getting other things BUT most of the people on this site are well aware of what they can do to lower the risk, ie by eating healthily for them, not smoking, exercising more, being more concerned about blood pressure etc. This, in my view makes them less or at least equally likely as any 'normal' person out there to get cancer et al. In other words we know our risk and take steps to minimise it.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could have warned us it was a link to the Daily Hate Mail... :stop::yuck:

I know I know. But it does refer to SCIENTISTS conducting research as opposed to some dim bimbo from the Antipodes.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously though, cancer runs in my family. I'm pretty much doomed anyway. *shrug*

Me too Jo. But despite this and T2 and PAD I went for a wonderful 3 mile walk on the hills this lunchtime. Tomorrow I start some woodwork (gates fences etc.) for a client and Friday we hope to put a bid in on a new house. Enjoy now and look forward I suppose is what I'm trying to say.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seriously though, cancer runs in my family. I'm pretty much doomed anyway. *shrug*
I read that 50% of women will develop cancer in their lifetime. But these days by no means everyone who develops cancer is doomed. A running friend of mine, over 80, was diagnosed very late (due to criminal negligence on the part of his GP). No chance of a cure, and frankly I had sadly written him off, but no! Despite his age the care he was given was brilliant if initially pretty unpleasant and he is now living WITH cancer, biking, rambling, going on umpteen trips abroad each year (which he plans round his top-up chemo schedule). It's a platitude, but I wish I had half his energy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too Jo. But despite this and T2 and PAD I went for a wonderful 3 mile walk on the hills this lunchtime. Tomorrow I start some woodwork (gates fences etc.) for a client and Friday we hope to put a bid in on a new house. Enjoy now and look forward I suppose is what I'm trying to say.
Exactly...! Hence the shrug at being doomed. ;) I try to make the best of it. Attempt to do something nice/fun/special at least once a week, help out where I can... And cuddle with cats. When/if it comes, I'll face it head on, like everything else so far. What else can you do, right? Good luck with the bid!

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly...! Hence the shrug at being doomed. ;) I try to make the best of it. Attempt to do something nice/fun/special at least once a week, help out where I can... And cuddle with cats. When/if it comes, I'll face it head on, like everything else so far. What else can you do, right? Good luck with the bid!

Thanks. It will mean another 4 - 5 months renovating work if it works out but I enjoy that.
Overall I still think we can minimize the risk of catching something by looking after ourselves.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Here......

My father, insulin dependent type II is 91. He had chemo/radio therapy for prostate cancer 20 years ago and that is checked on a regular basis. His BG control is poor, he eats chocolate and biscuits telling people that he only has them in the house in case of hypos, crafty old ....er. Thankfully, unlike 3 of his siblings who died from bowel cancer, he's doing well. Doesn't prove anything except it doesn't have to go the way they suggest especially if we all do the right things.

I wonder when the Daily Mail will mention all the other cheerful presentations at that conference, the ones to do with cardiovascular disease.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father, insulin dependent type II is 91. He had chemo/radio therapy for prostate cancer 20 years ago and that is checked on a regular basis. His BG control is poor, he eats chocolate and biscuits telling people that he only has them in the house in case of hypos, crafty old ....er. Thankfully, unlike 3 of his siblings who died from bowel cancer, he's doing well. Doesn't prove anything except it doesn't have to go the way they suggest especially if we all do the right things.

I wonder when the Daily Mail will mention all the other cheerful presentations at that conference, the ones to do with cardiovascular disease.
I wish I could be more like your father. However I notice you have not followed his example.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I notice you have not followed his example.

He hates needles, in fact starts going faint when you mention anything to do with taking blood or injections. I still haven't figured why he will not at least try to reduce his carb intake (Meusli, toast, honey for breakfast because it's healthy!) and possibly avoid insulin injections all together. Recently, while in hospital for seven weeks the nurses made sure he didn't eat any chocolate or biscuits and they had to reduce his insulin twice, who knows what a low carb diet would do. I've also suggested he use a FreeStyle Libre so he doesn't have to test with several finger pricks a day. He won't hear of it.
So, basically he is giving me a perfect example of how not to grow old, trouble is you can't argue with the "I've made it to 91 so I must be doing something right". He's just plain lucky, despite the amputated toe (his fault for not seeing doctor) and the U.T.I. (because he didn't go to the doctor soon enough, I mean at all), both of which required nearly seven weeks in hospital.

Tannith

BANNED
I do think that a diabetic is at a higher risk of getting other things BUT most of the people on this site are well aware of what they can do to lower the risk, ie by eating healthily for them, not smoking, exercising more, being more concerned about blood pressure etc. This, in my view makes them less or at least equally likely as any 'normal' person out there to get cancer et al. In other words we know our risk and take steps to minimise it.
All these cancers with the exception of lung (and just possibly the exception of skin) are to do with fat and not with diabetes itself at all.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
All these cancers with the exception of lung (and just possibly the exception of skin) are to do with fat and not with diabetes itself at all.

The fat that you are or the fat that you eat? Now lemme guess...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He hates needles, in fact starts going faint when you mention anything to do with taking blood or injections. I still haven't figured why he will not at least try to reduce his carb intake (Meusli, toast, honey for breakfast because it's healthy!) and possibly avoid insulin injections all together. Recently, while in hospital for seven weeks the nurses made sure he didn't eat any chocolate or biscuits and they had to reduce his insulin twice, who knows what a low carb diet would do. I've also suggested he use a FreeStyle Libre so he doesn't have to test with several finger pricks a day. He won't hear of it.
So, basically he is giving me a perfect example of how not to grow old, trouble is you can't argue with the "I've made it to 91 so I must be doing something right". He's just plain lucky, despite the amputated toe (his fault for not seeing doctor) and the U.T.I. (because he didn't go to the doctor soon enough, I mean at all), both of which required nearly seven weeks in hospital.

I have to be honest, if I got to the grand old age of 91 I too would be eating my biscuits and muesli. Of course nobody wants to lose a foot at any stage but at 91 I would be prepared to take the risk. I love the sound of your Dad, he does what he wants!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So thin people never get cancer? or if you mean dietary fat vegans never get cancer?

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Do what you can - don't worry about the rest"