Changing injection sites

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again!

Sorry, I haven't been able to answer before...
4 mm needles should be OK - standard size. Try places where you have some loose skin, press your thumb and forefinger together, so you get a little bulge of skin between your fingers. Inject into the bulge of skin.
All the insulins, have different substances mixed into the solution, that you inject. Could be, that you are a little hypersensitive to one/some of its components. For example Zink is a substance, that is added to some of the solutions...
If the burning doesn't stop, you maybe should try to get another type of insulin, but with the same properties that you need - there are different sorts of insulins, and you could also combine two different, to get desired effects.
Hope your problem will be solved, and if some question comes to mind, then just ask...

It got better after a while no pain but I noticed on my right thigh it leaves red spots day after even if there wasn't at the the time. Any way to avoid those? I do pinch but seems thigh skin isn't as loose as tummu

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there!

I have to admit, I'm slowly running out of good ideas - it really starts to look a bit like some kind of hypersensitive reaction. Especially when you mention red spots. Could it be, that you are allergic to yeast, for example. Some of the Insulins, are made by yeast cultures, from which the Insulin is extracted. Also bacterial cultures consisting of, as far as i remember, E. Coli-bacteria are used to make modern Insulins. Could one of these components cause you problems?
Remember though, I can only give you a few good suggestions - if you suspect an allergic reaction or something even close to it, I suggest you you should try to talk to some medical staff...
Hope you will soon get your problems solved, but if you feel some need to ask questions, I'll try to answer as good as I can...

Edited to say: P.S I didn't remember to stress the fact, that all the Insulins are highly refined, so an allergic reaction is not impossible, but not at all common...

Last edited:

KC67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject insulin into my stomach and thighs on a rotation basis. I also have to inject beta interferon which causes quite a skin reaction so I also have to use the back of the tops of my arm. It took me a while to master this until I realised that if I rest one arm on the back of the chair I am sitting on, I can reach it with the other! Injecting myself in the backside continues to be a challenge as I can’t see what I’m doing lol! Doesn’t stop me having a go though.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I inject into right thigh mornings and left thigh evenings