Type 1 Hypo rebound ? High bg all day.

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last night I was hypo 3.3 bg but as usual all day today my bg has been 20+, ketones 0.2 and despite many corrections on my medtronic 640 pump no decrease in bg levels. Is this the same for everyone and any tips on how to stop the high bg the next day. Cheers any help, comments ( funny ones especially) welcome

Reactions: himtoo and kmc1998

kmc1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last night I was hypo 3.3 bg but as usual all day today my bg has been 20+, ketones 0.2 and despite many corrections on my medtronic 640 pump no decrease in bg levels. Is this the same for everyone and any tips on how to stop the high bg the next day. Cheers any help, comments ( funny ones especially) welcome
This usually happens to me when I have low blood sugars. I am on the insight insulin pump and I usually put in a correction and retest 2 hours later. If they are still high or have not changed I then put in another correction, if still no improvement I have to inject the insulin using a syringe and check the tubing for any air bubbles and also change my infusion site. I then retest to see if it has come down, the first correction usually works, the extreme circumstance only happened once when my infusion was blocked... frustrating XD

Reactions: himtoo

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I TRY not to over correct a hypo. It takes forever to come back down and stay down. Not always easy though

Reactions: Bud1979

leahkian

I was always one for taking on lots of carbs when i had a hypo which is never a good thing. What did you have to eat when your BS was 3.3. The way i look at it is during the day you are overloading with insulin which is dropping your BS on a night, your night time insulin must be wrong so it is back to the drawing board first of all stop giving yourself too much insulin during the day. Try and give a bit less during the day so you won't have a hypo on a night, now for the funny bit put your alarm on for 2 am and do your BS for 4 nights to see what is happening or do 2 at 2 am and 2 at 4 am but you need to keep a close eye on everything and right it down, the funny bit was for me thinking of you getting up at 2 am to do your blood but i have done it. Then you should get in contact with the DNS and tell them what is going on and the results that you have. It could be your carb ratio is wrong but the DNS will prefer if you were a bit on the high side at night rather than a hypo, i know on the medtronic you can have 24 different setting for background insulin but around 4 am is when the blood starts to rise so you may need a tweak here and there. We all start to worry when our BS are high but if you keep correcting to much then a hypo happens and you start the next day high so you have to break the chain.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my "good diabetic" says -- only take 10 gram carb as a hypo treatment because we are on such tight parameters that we shouldn't need a huge intake.......................but..................my "bad diabetic" sometimes wins and I scoff the table top ( ok maybe not literally -- but does 2 twirl chocolate bars ( 20 carb each ) and a packet of crisps ( 13 carb ) count as naughty ??:D

Reactions: Bud1979 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
This is why it's so important to have emergency carbohydrate that you don't enjoy, and that you can easily carb count. You're hypo and your whole body is screaming "feed me now"! If you just raid your pantry for biscuits, chocolates, jelly babies or whatever, it's just too easy to keep munching till you've had way over the required 10g (or whatever). By the time you're thinking rationally it's too late (But that bar of chocolate was so yummy!). Personally I find glucotabs a perfect compromise. At 4g each you can get away with counting out 3 (unlike handfuls of jelly babies), yet they are easy to eat (not so crunchy that they're little bullets that you're trying to choke down). And I ... just... don't ... like .... them... that ....much.... So there's far less temptation to guzzle down a whole packet.
And one for the whole T1 team. Don't you all JUST HATE HYPOS.
There. Vent over.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And don't forget that there's a good chance that your liver will dump glucose when your blood sugar goes too low, so you've got an extra "helper" aside from the hypo emergency carbohydrate...
(Hopefully someone will correct me if I've got the "liver dump" concept wrong.)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
my "good diabetic" says -- only take 10 gram carb as a hypo treatment because we are on such tight parameters that we shouldn't need a huge intake.......................but..................my "bad diabetic" sometimes wins and I scoff the table top ( ok maybe not literally -- but does 2 twirl chocolate bars ( 20 carb each ) and a packet of crisps ( 13 carb ) count as naughty ??:D
Haha. I guess I might have a little demon in me too occasionally
However sugar make me sick. Literally. So some veggies, avo , a itt
E dark choco with some nuts stop the drop and raise me slowly. Fast ups feel as bad as drops. Then we ride the coaster. I take small units so the fear of hypos is small. But the liver loves to contribute once food comes in. Especially in the morning. Wish vodka sounded good then lol. Ummm. Nope .

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi. sorry to revive the thread, i see the last reply is dated 41w ago, but i'm exp the same thing today. my postprandial blood test last night gave me 116mg/dl, and i think i probably went hypo at midnight because by morning it was 281mg/dl. i'm trying to correct it today but i think i'm also getting some (insulin) resistance. my sugar has gone down to 164mg/dl this lunch, had regular bolus dose and half a sandwich, but 2h post and it's at 235mg/dl. frustrating.
how do you guys manage it? i mean, do you still eat regular meals during the correction? how long does the resistance last for you?