Feel sleepy after meals on metformin

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I eat a meal with carbs, like I had a brown bread sandwich today with a few crisps and a small cookie after, I will fall asleep. I take metformin after lunch, but still I fall asleep. Does metformin not really work for insulin resistance if you eat high carb? I thought it would help me not to feel sleepy. I don't feel like that after my evening meal, if that is high carbs. Any tips?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If I eat a meal with carbs, like I had a brown bread sandwich today with a few crisps and a small cookie after, I will fall asleep. I take metformin after lunch, but still I fall asleep. Does metformin not really work for insulin resistance if you eat high carb? I thought it would help me not to feel sleepy. I don't feel like that after my evening meal, if that is high carbs. Any tips?

I don't know the science why metformin is used for RH, unless you have T2 and RH symptoms. The reason why metformin is used is to protect the organs and help with glucose levels but hardly discernible, it is the first drug prescribed if someone has a potential probability of diabetes.
My endocrinologist and GP, took me off metformin straight away.

I can't understand why you would want to eat a high carb laden meal if you intend to get as healthy as I assume you want to be.

If you have been sticking to a lower carb intake then suddenly eating carbs will effect you a bit more because you will have become more aware of your lower blood glucose levels. Maybe that's why you are feeling drowsy after a carb laden meal.
With RH, I will advise to stick with as few carbs as possible.

I'm hoping that you have had a bit of success since you started posting.

Best wishes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people are less resistant to insulin in the evenings which might account for the difference in the effects of high carb meals.
I would advise staying away from foods which are high carb and choosing ones which don't have so much impact, particularly earlier in the day. That will, hopefully make you feel less sleepy.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I hope you can describe what is happening to you @B17_Fan.
I also hope you have been having limited success with low carb.
Has the glucometer been helpful to finding your intolerance to certain food?