how to recover faster from repeated colds

Littlefootsy

My son is 22 , now at unie finally having got well enough since type 1 diagnosis. He has also suffered with anxiety - in the run up to diagnosis. Pre type1 he was always strong , fit and well - almost no time off school entire childhood. now he seems to get regular colds and gets very run down by them - glucose levels seem to go all over the show and his sleeping pattern deteriorates- he can't sleep properly.

I can't tell if it's the physical illness or the anxiety ( from unie pressure and the worry of diabetes) or all of these that is making him feel urghh . Plus it seems to take him much longer to bounce back and recover - not sleeping will make that worse.

He's just been told he's very insulin sensitive but has to wait a while to get a pump to help him manage better.

As Mum I've advised him to focus on the things he can control - all the usual re drinking fluids/ eating/ testing glucose and ketone levels more frequently and managing insulin doses while the infection and his body go to work to get better - and generally TLC for a few days while he gets stronger i.e. same as the rest of us plus the insulin thrown in and the extra vigilance. Hoping this is enough.

Seems to me though it's not enough - can't be nice feeling so awful and wondering about how things will go in the night? Should I suggest maybe he puts an alarm on to test himself in the night ( he usually does sleep through) and deal with glucose etc as necessary? Or anything else he may not have thought of?

I'm just worried at his so frequent colds - is more than the rest of us. And he gets really down and stays there longer.... just at a time in his life when that's the last thing he wants .

Any ideas what to suggest to him?

many thanks

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has he had his vitamin D levels checked? I used to get recurrent colds and most of them ended up as chest infections. My GP told me my vit D levels were fine, but I paid for a test by post from an NHS hospital in Birmingham. Mine came out as an insufficiency, and was close to the limit for an actual deficiency. I have been much healthier since supplementing with a vit D spray (with K2)