LCHF or WFPB Diet for T1Ds

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been following a LCHF diet since my diagnosis over 4 years ago. I have recently read articles on the benefits of a whole foods plant based diet for T1Ds - and wondered if any of the forum members who are T1D have any experience from following both types of diets? I have never been a big meat eater (had actually quit eating meat in the year preceding my T1D diagnosis) but when I look at all the foods that are typical fro a WFPB diet, I cringe at the potential carb intake. However, the articles seem to suggest that the benefits are associated with insulin sensitivity which is important for all diabetics, not just for T2Ds.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a type one - but I have been LCHF since my early twenties and I am sixty seven now - apart from the times when my doctors have insisted that they know better. That has never gone well.
I am not a big meat eater - but I do low carb high fat by eating all the low carb veges I can get hold of. I am often surprised by the lack of plants in other people's trolleys. I have so many choices that at one time I had two shopping lists in order to fit in all the variations.
If whole foods mean whole grains - I can't see that working well.

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that a "wholefoods plant based diet" often has fewer high GI carbs then the Standard USA/UK diet as people are forced to cook their own food.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had been looking at the YouTube videos of a type 1 in the states who advocates WFPB for type 1s (Cyrus Khambarta) and is type one himself. He does get seemingly fantastic insulin sensitivitypossibly because he is athletic and well conditioned (using less than 20 units a day total I think) but does have to eat loads and loads of carbs just to get enough food (1000g on heavy training days or about a month's worth for a die hard low carber). The thing that put me off this vegan thing was the narrative around fat (dairy and animal) 'gets into the cells' and doesn't allow insulin in. This idea is promoted by lots of vegan doctors (Barnard, McDonald) but does not seem to have any scientific credence behind it just many anecdotes. No mention of the ethical side of things which is a little sly given I assume that this is a strong reason for eating this way and not even a valid reason IMO.
You don't need lots of meat IMO but you need some in order to get decent amounts of B12, K, A and calcium. Yes there is protein in plants but we are evolved to be omnivores not vegetarians or carnivores. If anyone out here as evidence of the WFPB 's efficacy for type 1s I'd be keen to hear it...

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember that a "wholefoods plant based diet" often has fewer high GI carbs then the Standard USA/UK diet as people are forced to cook their own food.

So likely would be foods with higher fiber? That's a good point, thank you.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
There's a good vegan keto group on fb. I eat ordinary keto but my (non diabetic) daughter is vegan so I look for things we both can eat

Reactions: suk