Changing to FIASP, where to go?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Been getting fed up with post meal spikes even after pre-blousing for 30-40 minutes before a meal (rising upto 14/15 mmol/L for 2-3 hours after eating and then dropping over the next 2)

I want to try FIASP, but can this be changed by seeing a GP or does it have to be a diabetic consultant as part of my review? Reason I ask is because I only have a review every 6 months, and they are reluctant to get me in any quicker and don't offer any support otherwise.

I want to change it as quick as possible, because it is really starting to affect me on a daily basis thinking about how high the levels are running after eating. I also want to get a half unit pen if possible (novopen echo?)

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

I think different GPs/CCGs handle diabetes medication differently. In my area, the GP follows the exact instructions the hospital diabetes team gives them. They have little idea about NovoRapid, Lantus, Fiasp, etc.

I have noticed post meal spikes and got fed up with pre-bolusing before I have decided what I am going to eat so want to try Fiasp. (I say "try" because Fiasp does not suit everyone and it may not be much faster.)
I am lucky to have a fantastic DN and have her email address.
I sent her a message, she informed my GP and Fiasp is now on my prescription even though my next annual review is probably 6 months away.

Kolin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just emailed my DSN and asked to change and they sent a letter to my GP to update my prescription.

Reactions: Muneeb

Kolin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a Novopen Echo. Not sure if they're available on prescription. I bought mine from ebay.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a Novopen Echo and Fiasp due. Whoop! Saw consultant who wants to try me on it for 6 months. Have to wait over an hour in the morning before I can eat. There were strict criteria for him to be able to get the GPs to prescribe it for me. That was a week ago. Rang Drs yesterday, they have still not received the letter from consultant. Am now on hols for 10 days, so won’t be trying it any time soon. If it doesn’t work, I’m stuffed as I do not fit pump criteria. The criteria in Leeds is very strict for everything. Do not even get me started on the Libre.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There were strict criteria for him to be able to get the GPs to prescribe it for me.

I'd be interested to know the criteria and why they're there - if anybody is having difficulty getting fiasp prescribed over novorapid in the UK, can they ask if it's the cost, and ask for much the two cost the NHS? I saw a NICE document saying they cost the same.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be interested to know the criteria and why they're there - if anybody is having difficulty getting fiasp prescribed over novorapid in the UK, can they ask if it's the cost, and ask for much the two cost the NHS? I saw a NICE document saying they cost the same.
Yeah I had no problems changing and in fact the consultant told me that Novorapid and Fiasp cost the same so the doctors shouldn't have a problem with cost, it took about a week for the consultant to send the relevant doc to the doctors - but I did have to badger them about it.
Edit: I'm not the first at my surgery to have it though so maybe thats why it was simple once they'd got the letter.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a Novopen Echo. Not sure if they're available on prescription. I bought mine from ebay.

My diabetes clinic just gave me mine. I don't know if they buy them or if Nordisk give them them on the assumption that they'll make up the cost on the insulin over the years.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you under a consultant at hospital then the consultant should make the changes not the GP.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you under a consultant at hospital then the consultant should make the changes not the GP.

The consultant makes the decisions yes. However, they still have to prove you fit the criteria for certain things as it is the individual GPs that pick up the bills.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

From what I could gather it was to do with how long my present insulin was taking to have an affect. It certainly appears that there has to be specific reasons as to why it is prescribed. As for price, no idea.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The consultant makes the decisions yes. However, they still have to prove you fit the criteria for certain things as it is the individual GPs that pick up the bills.

It’s the same price... I had to ask for FIASP for over a year as my CCG weren’t allowing it. This week, I asked consultant again and he said it’s allowed now and as it’s the same cost then ok...

D

Deleted Account

I’ve just remembered I asked for two things: Libre and Fiasp.
The criteria for Libre are very tough in my area.
I wonder if the Fiasp was provided so readily as a conciliation prize.

Or maybe because, with Libre self funding, I could prove how long my NovoSluggish takes to work.

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just remembered I asked for two things: Libre and Fiasp.
The criteria for Libre are very tough in my area.
I wonder if the Fiasp was provided so readily as a conciliation prize.

Or maybe because, with Libre self funding, I could prove how long my NovoSluggish takes to work.

Yes, I was able to prove what was happening with my self funded Libre results. Had indeed waited 1 hour 20 minutes that very morning, before eating my meagre 10 carb berries and yoghurt brekkie! Luckily am retired.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using fiasp for well over a year, had no problem getting it prescribed, my DSN just wrote to my GP. I do however, have an inordinate amount of trouble getting it from the pharmacy, it usually takes around three visits, I have to remind them that they have to make a special order and apparently they also have to fax a copy of the prescription (?). They just don't seem to be able to do this, once they order it properly it's usually in the next day, but it's a real PITA. ?Does anyone else have these problems? I suspect its just the pharmacy I use, have been waiting an eon for one to open in my village - but people (other pharmacies) keep objecting.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked my GP. 2 mins later I had the prescription. Shame about the pharmacy tho, similar to above. Always took a few visits early on but all seems sorted now.

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetic nurse recommended it to me about 3 months ago. I trialled it for a month and then she wrote to the doctor to add it to my repeat prescription. It is slightly better than novorapid and I would say kicks in about 5-10 mins earlier. It means I have less of a problem injecting post meal if I am quite low to start with. I have had a few post meal hypos as a result of this. Just takes a while to get used to.