Metformin and upset tum

angie99

Hi all, i need some advice, i am taking 2 metformin tablets daily and i have noticed 2 things.
1 if i eat anything for a treat i get the runs, is this normal the tablet clears out your system of any bad foods?
2 i get the runs after taking it in the morning?

thanx for reading angie99 :)

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi Angie
unfortunately the first two weeks on metformin usually give most peope the runs . If the side affects don't stop contact your Gp to see if they will alter your metformin to slow release metformin. You most probably will settle down and don't worry :D
JF.

hallii

Hi Angie, you know you might be right about the carbs and Metformin.

I notice that I do get a little loose if I overdo the carbs. Maybe it's a punishment thing :D

If I am more careful and eat a low carb diet I find that a get the opposite effect i.e. slight constipation.

I find a diet low in carbs with good amount of fibre keeps me about right.

BUT we all vary, so you will have to find out what suits you.

I can tell you that if you hang on in there with the Metformin the runs will eventually go away, if they don't ask the Doc for the extended release Metformin and they are more gentle on your system.

H

angie99

iv been on this dose for a couple of months, i dread going to the loo to be honest. put it this way we using alot of loo cleaner.

anniep

How are you taking your meformin?

For the first year or so I was on 4 x500 every day two at night two in the morning and I found I had to actually take it during a meal, even 5 mins before would cause a problem, and even right after didn't seem to work.

I have since been reduced to 1 at night and one in the morning and don't have quite the same problems with the reduced dose.

If you really cannot tolerate it then you should go and ask for the slow release version, they may not give it toyou unlessyou ask as it is dearer.

kfh

Hello there,

I had exactly the same problem and was advised to take my metformin during my meals, not before and not after but during. I found that if I ate half a meal and had my metformin and then finished my meal, I had no problems at all. Fantastic solution. I hope this works for you. Best Wishes to all.