Ryvita

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without advising and only commenting, I can’t remember who it was but a recent T2 poster dumped the meds, dropped the carbs and got great results. Without the BG lowering meds the risk of hypos has gone.
Taking meds, to lower BG, that you’ve raised by eating carbs, that you have to eat, because your taking meds, sounds like a vicious circle to me.
this is true, but it has to be done slowly, as dumping all the meds right away can cause hypos.

Geoffno6

this is true, but it has to be done slowly, as dumping all the meds right away can cause hypos.

Just a question, if you’ve never had a hypo in your life, can dropping meds that lower your BS cause a hypo? I would have thought the opposite was true. If dropping the meds causes your BS to drop I’ll get off em right now. I dropped Metformin for several weeks and it caused a raise of 1 point in my BS.

M

Member496333

Dropping hypoglycaemics wont cause hypoglycaemia, surely Shirley? Dropping carbohydrate whilst still taking them might :D

Last edited by a moderator:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a question, if you’ve never had a hypo in your life, can dropping meds that lower your BS cause a hypo? I would have thought the opposite was true. If dropping the meds causes your BS to drop I’ll get off em right now. I dropped Metformin for several weeks and it caused a raise of 1 point in my BS.
there are a certain class of diabetic meds, like Jardiance, which can cause hypos if the carbs are lowered without adjusting the meds. I dont think metformin does that.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it sounds like perhaps the nurse hasnt gone through the implications of gliclazadine with you. Perhaps you need to make an appointment with the GP or whoever is in charge of your care and get the to explain about avoiding hypos, when to test, when to eat carbs and how many, how to know if your blood sugars have gone too low. Especially if you drive.

It is very important that you know this stuff. And what your HbA1c is. How long have you been on gliclazadine?
I second this emotion. I would point out that there is an urban myth that extended use of gliclazide hastens pancreas burnout. This stems from the early sulfonylurea drugs that had a bad reputation for this. However Glic is a new generation sulfonyl drug, and there is absolutlely no evidence showing this as a problem.

I was on 4 tabs a day and still being referred for insulin, but then I discovered LC diets thanks to this site here, and as a result I have bought my bgl down to 'normal' levels and cut my drugs use considerably. Yes I did get some hypos doing it, but they were mild and easily dealt with since it was clear my pancreas and liver both still had some life in them and so I was in no real danger of it getting out of hand, But I treated the hypo;s with [ respect+carbs] to make sure. So not frightened but wary and very aware that it can happen. I recommend the Hypo awareness course offered by this site since I had my firsr hypo on the day I completed the course, and was on my way to Boots to buy some dextrose tabs. Serendipity.

But do make sure you test. NICE does allow a GP to prescribe T2D test support but may need some evidence up front that you are in the ballpark for hypo's or have experienced at least one. I bought my own meter and self funded for a while, collected the readings, and could show that where my bgls were previously running in the 20-30 mmol/l range when he last saw me, my diet was now dropping me into the 4-8 range regularly, so I was indeed a candidate for self test. This proof enabled him to prescribe a meter and test strips, and that was 3 years ago. I have used my readings to alter my diet, my meds timings and doses, and reduced my BP and cholesterol meds as well. My GP is very happy that I have regained control and is now very supportive.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to the OP. I had friends that worked the nightshift at the Ryvita factory in Dorset, and they used to have competitions to see who could blat the most flies, wasps and spiders into the mixing vats. And that was not all that went in either. Consequently, I have avoided crispbreads since

Reactions: Geoffno6

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on a ketogenic diet. Works for me.

First of all, the body does not need any carbs at all.
What it needs is moderate protein, fibre and fat, called macros.
Also plenty of vegetables.

The body instead of burning sugar (carbs), it burns fat for fuel.
Also good for weight loss.

I make my own keto bread in the mug.
10 gr butter, melted
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
300 gr Almond Flour

Mix well with a fork, microwave for 90 seconds.

Tip it out on a rack for cooling.
What on earth size mugs do you have in your house? I've just measured out 300g almond flour and it fills at least two of mine! I would be very interested to make yours, as I have been struggling to find an edible recipe for some time: the best so far is Dr Mosley's Green Bread, bit disconcertingly green, but will toast, and great with cream cheese and a tiny bit of marmalade.