Lower-carb Quick, Easy, Breakfast Options

xorsyst

Hi,

I'm vegan type 1, and for years my breakfast has been cereal (about 70g of whatever cereal I like) with soya milk. It's quick, easy, and keeps me full for a few hours.

However, I'm trying to slowly reduce my carb intake, and am looking for suggestions for alternatives. They don't need to be seriously low carb or anything, just somewhat less. But they do need to be simple and quick and ideally wet and cold.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not vegetarian myself, but what about Golden Milk?
It is delicious, the nut milks are nutitious and low carb, and the turmeric is anti inflammatory.
https://www.living-vegan.com/vegan-golden-milk-hot-or-iced/
Personally, I would swap the maple syrup for erythritol, but it depends what carb intake you want.

Also, berries and soya yoghurt it delicious and very easy. With or without a bit of muesli for crunch.
https://sharonpalmer.com/easy-berry-soy-yogurt-parfait-vegan-gluten-free/
If you buy a bag of frozen berries, or even freeze them yourself, you can put some in a small bowl the night before, and they defrost by morning. Less waste than trying to eat fresh fruit up before they go squashy.

Reactions: Enclave

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Milled flax seed or a milled seed blend can be mixed with cold or hot water to form a sort of porridge. Many ground flax seeds are low carb, some that are blends of nut and seeds are much higher in carbs so do check the labels.
I add yogurt to mine (I am a veggie - not vegan) , I add nut butters or cinnamon for extra taste.

Other options are avocado with nuts and berries,

Or if you want something quick but hot - scrambled tofu, or leftovers from evening meal is one of quickest breakfasts :)

There are low carb "bread" recipes using almond or coconut flours - not all use eggs (can substitute flax seed as an egg binder in some recipes and coconut oil instead of butter).

low carb Crackers with avocado? Diet doctor website has some vegan recipes https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@xorsyst how about chia pudding? You can make up a big batch, keep it in the frig, and scoop out your breakfast daily. Basic recipe is something like:
some chia seed
enough liquid (of choice) to make it pudding-y to your liking.
flavoring of your choice. I like cinnamon.
Mix ingredients (don't rinse the chia like I did the first time! It immediately becomes jello-y and stuck in a blob) thoroughly
Let set for 5-10 minutes. I never measure, so I often have to add more liquid.
Keeps in frig for days with no loss of quality.
Chia has a low net carb count, and a lovely nutty flavor. You do have to not mind the slippery jello effect, though. :hilarious:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some great replies here - anything with milled linseed or chia seeds. If you Google, there are some coconut porridge recipes out there too. A friend of mine is vegan and she has scrambled tofu instead of scrambled eggs.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
My vote goes to the scrambled tofu. Delicious, but not exactly cold and wet!

I'd add a few berries to the chia pudding and go for that, I think. (Making a batch tomorrow, and will just add fruit on serving).