Erm

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never payed for my meters either or any kind of strips or insulin or anything
I think the confusion comes from you not having your diabetes type on your signature. If you can change it in your profile you will get more appropriate responses.

Many members with type 2 in the UK have to self fund meter and strips unless on certain medications that can cause hypos.

D

Deleted member 308541

I won freestyle libre meter + 2 sensors on this wonderful DCUK site
Half your luck mate, I entered my name and address for a free meter, and also the other free gifts keyring, bracelets etc three years ago and I am still waiting.

Reactions: Cumberland
M

Member496333

Applied for a free Next One on their website. No idea if I’m likely to receive one or not. Fingers crossed :woot:

Don’t even need one really, but it looks cool and will save me the horrendous inconvenience of manually entering my glucose data into my smartphone :shifty:

Domi0205

Applied for a free Next One on their website. No idea if I’m likely to receive one or not. Fingers crossed :woot:

Don’t even need one really, but it looks cool and will save me the horrendous inconvenience of manually entering my glucose data into my smartphone :shifty:
True

Reactions: Cumberland

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Half your luck mate, I entered my name and address for a free meter, and also the other free gifts keyring, bracelets etc three years ago and I am still waiting.

I never got the freebies either

Reactions: Domi0205

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In case anyone doesn't know (and cares) the business model of selling cheap, or giving away, an item that generates a continuous supply of parts was started by Gillette when he invented the safety razor.
Apart from meters and strips, another good example of this razor and blades model is printers. You can buy a new inkjet printer for the same price a single ink cartridge.

M

Member496333

Yes indeed. Personally though I already use Contour Next strips, so I don’t feel like I’ll be getting cheated with a free meter :D

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I have won one too! I have used the Bayer Contour for many years, now i'm really very happy with the Contour Next. I think i will get the strips from the GP although i have just changed my prescription to the Libre test strips. I find testing with the Libre reader not comfortable and will just use it as a back up.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed. Which is why we use different inks and fill the old cartridges ourselves. It does encourage angry pop ups from Epsom, but they can be ignored. It still works perfectly.
I just bought an Epson, my HP wouldn't work with non HP cartridges.

D

Deleted member 308541

You can refill Epsom cartridges yourself. No need to buy new ones.
When I had a Epsom printer, you needed a chip resetting tool on the cartridge or it would not work after refilling it.

I have been using laser printers for a fair while as I get more bang for my buck.

Domi0205

I never got the freebies either
Next time I'll win something like that I'll give it away and probably ask only to shipping costs if there would be any because I already have 3 glocose meters which I have one and my bf and my mom has one each just in case of anything happening to me

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
If you are type one and your GP says no, ask your hospital team as this has been sucessfull for some member in the past. Get to know your meter well and explain how it will help you.
A GP would have to be a real so and so, or ignorant or both to refuse a T1D the paperwork or whatever to obtain a glucose metter and strips. If it is true that a GP did such a thing, report the reprobate to the GMC !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Next time I'll win something like that I'll give it away and probably ask only to shipping costs if there would be any because I already have 3 glocose meters which I have one and my bf and my mom has one each just in case of anything happening to me
Sounds fair enough. There is nothing worse than the one and only glucose meter going on the blink, especially say on a public holiday !! In Australia, chemists are giving this brand of meter away as a promotion, with 10 free strips!!