Do you try to walk daily no matter the weather?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I haven't got a dog, I tried adopting one not so long ago but someone else was luckier. I work upstairs though so I do them a lot everyday. Not much but better than nothing.
Also I prefer cycling to walking and I've got a fixed one and a push bike and try to get on one or the other each day.
I've become a southern softie and don't do cold anymore not matter how invigorating:hilarious:

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I walk everyday to school (work) and home, it is 20 minutes each way, always armed with my raincoat and umbrella - just in case. It wakes me up in the morning and helps me to unwind after a busy day (I usually have music on too) :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said earlier, my dogs nags us to death for her walks. If it is torrential rain we open the door to show her, so she runs to the back door in case it isn't raining at the back. :)
Aren't they funny yes mine does much the same Once she has established it is raining she does not want to go out because she does not like getting wet

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No. I'm not put off by the weather. Only gales and ice stop me, due to mobility problems.
Even if I wasn't hampered I still wouldn't let the weather stop me.
I'm a sight for sore eyes when ice is involved. Especially when the council used to grit my thoroughfare towards the gritted roads. Which is often where I end up walking on or on snowy grass (with assistance). So very rarely attempted when very wintery.
I take heart that it only lasts weeks and never months.
My only regret about moving 'up north'. Southern winters lasted days.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I walked to the shop and back, again today but is wasn't so chilly today.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Walking is excellent for reducing cholesterol too. :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
An hour's walk a day keeps the doctor away.
Mind you, here in Australia the doctor might be needed if the outside temperature gets above 35 degrees C.
Wintertime no problem. The trick is to vary the route for variety, and build a purpose into the activity if that helps e.g. walking to shops, do shopping and then home, or to and fro the library. Park the car an equal distance from some places which one needs to visit, do the round of visitations (no ghost apparel required), and save on petrol and parking fees.
I add ankle and arm weights (0.5 kg each) to add weight-lifting to the aerobic routine.
But not if swimming, kayaking or driving !!!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really look forward to my walk on an evening along the promenade , last night couldn't walk as the weather was so bad blowing a gale and hammering with rain . I really missed it .

I do try to walk even if it is raining .

How about you ?
Nope. Weather doesn't matter much, but anxiety does. I only go out when there's someone with me whom I can trust to get me out of panic-attack situations. And those very few people have jobs. ;) (Being out by myself will have me sweating buckets with sheer terror). But, I try to make up for it in the weekends. Go to the zoo, daytrips to old cities, museums and such... Loads of walking involved. With camera gear. :)

Reactions: Roulis

Martinjd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just got back from our morning constitutional completely soaked and now I’m in trouble because I let Stanley run in with his muddy paws on the floor that had just dried out after my wife had mopped it.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I have to walk my dogs at least twice the day although the younger (11yr) old one is getting very slow. We get soaked sometimes and we hate it but it's still very refreshing.
I did go on walks a few days after spinal surgeries, hand surgeries or with severe claudication. I couldn't imagine not to walk.

Reactions: Martinjd

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have not walked to the shop today as it is hissing it down outside, even though it is not particularly chilly out or so I have been told.