Metformin and diet changes

Locana

Hi,

So I’ve been on metformin now for a few weeks and have cut carbs significantly. Lost a stone!

Anyway, I’ve just been on the medication part of the forum and a few posts have suggested that you cannot take metformin if you have less than a thousand calories a day.

The thing is I’ve not felt that hungry with this way of eating and mostly/sometimes fall under the 1000 calls.

Is this an issue? What will happen?

Thanks
Lo

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I've been here a good few years on the forum and have never come across this, I am on metformin lost a LOT of weight and regularly don't make 1000 calories - can you point me to the info - just to put your mind at rest I have never had any adverse things happen :)

Locana

I read a few posts under the Diabetes Medication and drugs section, then the Metformin bit. Some say they have read the leaflet that comes with the medication, and it says if you are doing a vlcd under 1000, then don’t use. I don’t read those leaflets as I suffer from anxiety and will think I’ve got everything! To be honest, I’ve been feeling pretty good, checked my blood pressure Friday and it’s 120/80 which it hasn’t been for four years. Really loving the WOE. Don’t want to eat if I’m not hungry....! Plus I’m hoping to do some fasting in the future.. Will I be ok!?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read a few posts under the Diabetes Medication and drugs section, then the Metformin bit. Some say they have read the leaflet that comes with the medication, and it says if you are doing a vlcd under 1000, then don’t use. I don’t read those leaflets as I suffer from anxiety and will think I’ve got everything! To be honest, I’ve been feeling pretty good, checked my blood pressure Friday and it’s 120/80 which it hasn’t been for four years. Really loving the WOE. Don’t want to eat if I’m not hungry....! Plus I’m hoping to do some fasting in the future.. Will I be ok!?
I'm afraid you'll just have to guess - or read the information leaflet, or perhaps get someone to read the information in your packs.

Locana

Thanks for That! The leaflet doesn’t say as far as I know. I thought maybe I wouldn’t guess yet, but ask here first. :-\

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Metformin and didn't read that in my info leaflet.
You could always ask your pharmacist.

Reactions: Locana

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I would ignore those comments about Metformin. It doesn't matter what you eat to be able to take it. Also, forget calories as they have little relevance for us; good for marketing but little else. Focus on keeping the carbs down and having enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. You can adjust the carbs depending on your weight and blood sugar.

Locana

Personally I would ignore those comments about Metformin. It doesn't matter what you eat to be able to take it. Also, forget calories as they have little relevance for us; good for marketing but little else. Focus on keeping the carbs down and having enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. You can adjust the carbs depending on your weight and blood sugar.
Thanks so much for your help! I’ll keep doing what I’m doing..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the leaflet doesn't mention it, you could always ask the person who prescribed it, though of course they might not know.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

So I’ve been on metformin now for a few weeks and have cut carbs significantly. Lost a stone!

Anyway, I’ve just been on the medication part of the forum and a few posts have suggested that you cannot take metformin if you have less than a thousand calories a day.

The thing is I’ve not felt that hungry with this way of eating and mostly/sometimes fall under the 1000 calls.

Is this an issue? What will happen?

Thanks
Lo
There has been some caution expressed I believe about continuing metformin if using a very low calorie diet (vlcd) such as Newcastle (800 calories/day) or other meal replacement shake diets like Cambridge or the Blood Sugar Diet, These diets should advise stopping all diabetic meds while using the shakes. These diets are ofen referred to as vlcd diets, but they are not low carb diets per se.

A low carb diet on the other hand is not normally associated with such restrictions, but we are advised to be prepared to reduce doses of medications as the blood sugar levels drop due to the low carb input, If you are doing a restricting diet you should be monitoring your blood sugar levels with a meter to track the effect of meals on your sugar levels to avoid going too low, but if Metfomin is the only med you are on then that is usually not going to be a problem

Reactions: Guzzler

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 in mid October 2018 with a weight of 185 kg. I started on metformin 500mg twice a day and a diet with no carbs. I'm now down to 160 kg and a HbA1C on 38. Started out at 50.

Locana

I was diagnosed with type 2 in mid October 2018 with a weight of 185 kg. I started on metformin 500mg twice a day and a diet with no carbs. I'm now down to 160 kg and a HbA1C on 38. Started out at 50.
That is brilliant! Well done. I’m gonna keep going with the low carb and have had no issues with the metformin (apart from the loo TMI) so here’s hoping to lower BS and the great weight loss. Thanks!

Reactions: KezG

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
That is brilliant! Well done. I’m gonna keep going with the low carb and have had no issues with the metformin (apart from the loo TMI) so here’s hoping to lower BS and the great weight loss. Thanks!
I've taken 1000mg Metformin twice daily for last 2 years, I only had issues I when first started taking them, upset digestion for a few months until I got used to them. I haven't read anything about low calorie intake and Metformin use. I was told to take them during or immediately after eating as there is a possibility of stomach upset just as there would be if you use painkillers like Ibuprofen.

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When I was diagnosed all my doctor said was, that I should loose 1 kg pr month by eating smaller portions, walk for an hour every day, and a prescription for metformin. See you in 2 months! I then decided to take matters into my own arms and start the low carb diet.

Reactions: Shas3