Can't put basal above 1.2U/hr

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So im on the medtronic 640G which I love but I have quite high basal rates, my dinner time one being 1.2U/hr which is the maximum the pump will allow. I'm currently sick and my levels have been going quite high and so I wanted to use the temporary bolus to add on an extra 15% to my doses but because I already have 1.2U I can't add any on so Im having to just add extra carbs to my meals to give myself a bit extra which I know isn't a great thing to do but I don't know any other options! Any advice or something I can do to change the maximum?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @knipster, Can you contact your DSN or Medtronic pump rep? For example asking them whether for dinner is not the bolus dose the more important? There may be settings within the pump program which can be adjusted but again someone familiar with your situation, settings etc is the best one to ask.
You may also need to see your doctor regarding your sickness to see whether there is some treatment which may shorten or cure such illness.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @knipster, have you checked your max basal setting? One of my basals is 2.25u so it's your pump that has been set to a maximum of 1.2u.
If you go into the menu, select Insulin Settings, scroll down to Max Basal/Bolus, you can change it there :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is how to change your max basal rate:

To set your Max Basal Rate:
1. Go to the Max Basal/Bolus screen. Menu > Insulin Settings > Max Basal/Bolus
2. Select Max Basal to set the maximum number of basal insulin units that can be delivered each hour. Because the Max Basal Rate setting determines your basal insulin limits, a warning message appears any time you enter the screen to change the value. To continue setting the value, select Continue.
3. In the Max Basal Rate screen, select Max Basal to set the maximum units per hour.
4. Select Save.

Reactions: knipster

chrissargent

So im on the medtronic 640G which I love but I have quite high basal rates, my dinner time one being 1.2U/hr which is the maximum the pump will allow. I'm currently sick and my levels have been going quite high and so I wanted to use the temporary bolus to add on an extra 15% to my doses

thats confusing. Why are you looking to increase your basal but then talk about a temp bolus rate. I wasnt aware that there is a temp bolus rate, only a temp basal rate. Is that what you meant? I would have thought you be looking to increase your carb ratio for dinner rather than a basal rate?