Did everyone have “classic” symptoms before diagnosis ?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No classic symptoms for me. I’d had 9 months of regularly (7-8 times a week) throwing up after meals yet constant weight gain. Had serveral tests,cameras etc for stomach issues/gall stones/ etc all clear. Eventually a blood test showed diabetes. Doctors not sure why I was so sick - they’ve said it must have been my bodies way of just not coping with what I was eating. Since diagnosis and starting LCHF I haven’t been sick once and the weight has dropped off. So somewhat of a strange way round for diagnosis for me

Reactions: Prem51

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not had any typical symptoms. I had GD when pregnancy eight years ago, so have a test annually. All was fine until I had an op three years ago following which I lost a lot of weight as I couldn't eat - my HBA1C then increased annually.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Classic symptoms, weight loss, was happy about that, massive thirst etc but ignored it as too complicated as moving countries at time (weren't people with diabetes told to lose weight, eat healthily and exercise? I did that)
For the next two years aware of thirst at times, recurrent thrush and oddly an inability to tolerate much alcohol.
Then whoosh, more weight loss down to under 7st, loss of energy and finally difficulty in breathing when I tried a bike ride...ketoacidosis and a diagnosis of T1 ( probably Lada)

Last edited:

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
My Mum was diagnosed in the early 1970s and I recall her constant thirst and then the need to wee. At that time those were classic symptoms of Diabetes.

I had no obvious signs so my diagnosis came out of the blue.

How was it for other people ?.

I was diagnosed in 2004 I was going on holiday to Alton Towers and I was drinking bottles of Diet Coke constantly thirsty and was eating sweets by the packet and constantly hungry but diagnosis came when I got boils on my leg and it would not heal after several treatments and that’s when My doctor said your Diabetic after s fasting blood test.