Alcohol and Diabetes

Squib23

Hi everyone

New here!
My fiancé (getting married in June) has been type 1 since his teens. He’s now 41 and had much better control than he ever has! However he still likes to go out and drink and a few times had ended up in hospital when I’ve not been there. This hasn’t happened for a whilst until recently he went on my brothers stag do to Vegas where I found out a few months later he had a hypo and ended up in an ambulance on a drip. Purely from excessive drinking. Not only am I embarrassed and upset that he hid this from me but I am so scared. How many times does this have to happen until he realises it’s bad for him. When it kills him? Will he realise then. He due to go on his stag do soon and I am terrified. He doesn’t drink at home or go to the pub excessively but it’s the big nights out that scare me. What can I do to get through to him before we marry? Is there any help or advice I can get him? I’ve obviously tried talking to him but he tells me ‘not to worry’ and ‘I’ll be fine’ so we just don’t talk about it. Sleepless nights and endless worry is stressing me out. Please help!

X

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
How long have you known him?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Squib23 '
Welcome to the forum..

Speaking as a happily married T1 guy myself.. LOL, i remember the night before our wedding & my mate getting text messages from his wife making sure i didn't get too wrecked.. ;) But my focus was on the big day..
However, i've never had the situation your fella had in Vegas..

Does your fiancé's friends/family attending the stag night understand the potential risks involving his meds/condition & mixing with excessive alcohol?
Being drunk can "mask" hypoglycemia. But it is still possible to have a great safe night out..

Last edited:

Squib23

Hi both.

We have been together 7 years so we’ve been through it all. I must stress he handles his diabetes fantastically until he’s away for the weekend or tips over the edge on the drink on a night out. I am purely just worried about him going to Ibiza with 35 other men who all know he’s diabetic but there is only so much responsibility you can put on friends and family who don’t live with it everyday. The trouble is a friend will say to him ‘are you ok do you think you should test’ and hes just like yeah yeah I’m fine. What more can they do?
I am just a massive stress head and convinced that the worst is going to happen in every situation. I just need to make him see how scared it makes me. But will that stop him having that extra drink?

Thanks! X

Khushi Nagpal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You and him could both meet a diabetes practitioner - explaining to him how dangerous alcohol can be to the system when you're a Type 1 diabetic. You could repeatedly call him and request him to place alarms on his phone - then physically record the sugar levels. Even if he agrees to message you his sugar levels from time to time, that would most likely to lower your stress.

Once again, just try talking to him - if you feel that in a conversation you are unable to fully convey your arguments/points to convince him, try other methods. You could write it down on a piece of paper and give it to him or you can get emotional and literally tear up in front of him - any measure to properly get you fear across.

Good Luck