Allowed late night snacks...

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Well here goes can anyone recommend any guilt free late night snacks. I don't go to bet till very late sometimes 2 or 3 in the morning and get up about 10ish. So about midnight I get really hungry. I know it is considered bad to eat after 10pm. But when your last meal was around 6ish. It is no wonder I am hungry. No use telling me to go to bed earlier, because if I do I am wide awake in the middle of the night watching rubbish TV.

Peanut1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well here goes can anyone recommend any guilt free late night snacks. I don't go to bet till very late sometimes 2 or 3 in the morning and get up about 10ish. So about midnight I get really hungry. I know it is considered bad to eat after 10pm. But when your last meal was around 6ish. It is no wonder I am hungry. No use telling me to go to bed earlier, because if I do I am wide awake in the middle of the night watching rubbish

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bumping up any ideas???

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm hungry quite late at night I usually have an egg, some cheese or some sliced meat. Not very exciting but keeps me going. If I just want to munch on something nice but am not particularly hungry I'll have a square of 70% chocolate :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooooooooooo reminds me of my childhood and midnight feasts! :)

Are you talking about a full scale snack, or just a few nibbles? I can't see why you shouldn't have a snack, and this would help with any liver dump you may have when you get up.

On the other hand, could you have your evening meal an hour later? We never eat before 7, often later, so even when I have a late night I'm not hungry.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
wine?
going to try cider vinegar and cheese. Cant remember why but I have it in my head it will help.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the same - I need a midnight feast ( :eek: !) otherwise I'm awake all night feeling hungry. But usually with a good book instead of the TV.

What I eat depends on how hungry I am, but I work on the basis that I can eat the same sort of food as I would eat at any other (low carb) meal, and tend to go for three small and one main meal to accommodate this. But for smaller snacks I'll have nuts, cheese, a bit of chicken or cold meat, microwave muffins.... I also make coconut "snowballs" with desiccated and a bit of coconut flour, cream, and coconut oil, and they help to tide me over.

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L
I'm the same - I need a midnight feast ( :eek: !) otherwise I'm awake all night feeling hungry. But usually with a good book instead of the TV.

What I eat depends on how hungry I am, but I work on the basis that I can eat the same sort of food as I would eat at any other (low carb) meal, and tend to go for three small and one main meal to accommodate this. But for smaller snacks I'll have nuts, cheese, a bit of chicken or cold meat, microwave muffins.... I also make coconut "snowballs" with desiccated and a bit of coconut flour, cream, and coconut oil, and they help to tide me over.

Robbity
Like the sound of those snowballs. Do you have a recipe?

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for your ideas it used to be a couple of packets of crisps and a Kit Kat or 2. I love cheese but it seems to turn to acid at night. Cold meat sounds OK. I don't pig out. But I am fancying snowballs now. lol,

Reactions: 2 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ooooooooooooo reminds me of my childhood and midnight feasts! :)

Are you talking about a full scale snack, or just a few nibbles? I can't see why you shouldn't have a snack, and this would help with any liver dump you may have when you get up.

On the other hand, could you have your evening meal an hour later? We never eat before 7, often later, so even when I have a late night I'm not hungry.

Thank you for this Bluetit you made me curious, I had seen the phase( Liver dump) a couple of times and didn't have a clue. So I went to my research lab (Youtube) lol, And educated myself, I now have a much better understanding of foods that will help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L

Like the sound of those snowballs. Do you have a recipe?

Not exactly!! But the snowballs are a variation of this Almost Bounty Bars recipe
but without the coconut milk and masses of sweetener. A lot of things I make are rather "unscientific" and I first made these from memory - half a pack of desiccated coconut (about 75g), a tiny bit of stevia, a couple of tablespoonfuls of thick cream, and couple of large dollops of coconut oil which I soften - but don't melt completely - in the microwave, then mix everything up and add more oi/cream or coconut if necessary until it binds together nicely for rolling into the little balls. As it's generally been a bit greasy anyway to roll them easily, I've found that adding a little coconut flour to the mix really helps a lot, but it changes the texture a bit. This usually makes approx 10-12 little balls which I then put on a small plate to firm up in the fridge - which you definitely need to do first if you want chocolate covered ones! And they do need to be stored in the fridge too as they can get a bit soft if left at room temperature. Sometimes I add a little vanilla essence but that slightly spoils the white snowball effect...

Robbity

Tyrus123

Well here goes can anyone recommend any guilt free late night snacks. I don't go to bet till very late sometimes 2 or 3 in the morning and get up about 10ish. So about midnight I get really hungry. I know it is considered bad to eat after 10pm. But when your last meal was around 6ish. It is no wonder I am hungry. No use telling me to go to bed earlier, because if I do I am wide awake in the middle of the night watching rubbish TV.

I don't know why but it's kinda unusual, but my eating pattern will always gonna have a late night snacks. It's an alarm clock on my tummy that wakes me up every midnight. though I only take milk and tea and watch movies. sometimes playing games on my mobile phone. lately I'm feeling kinda different so I scheduled a check-up and just discover that It's really that eating pattern who's bringing some different feeling. Just also wanna share this interesting article that talks about eating late at night bitly.com/OvernightSnack stay healthy people :) God bless!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar free jelly, frozen berries and cream, or a jelly with yogurt whipped into it. If I have none in the fridge I make up a jelly and pour in the frozen fruit, it sets in moments - use two sachets of jelly and half a pint of hot water.

Reactions: Rylando88

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I eat a lot of ice pops or “jubbly’s” or snack on jelly or ice cream cones (no ice cream just cones) I also like powdered peanut butter as it’s low carb/fat and high protein x