Type 1'stars R Us

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please.....after 48 years I am just getting into counting carbs....don't add more to my poor old taxed brain.... You'll be telling me protein counts next :arghh::arghh::arghh::hilarious::hilarious:

G'day all. Well starting my final few days of injecting. Am getting pump jitters at the moment...both nervous and excited at the same time??
ive got pump clinic again at the end of the month porl69 how do you find putting the cannula in thats what putting me off also can you feel it when lying down i like to lie on my stomach and then does the pump its self get in the way xx

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow - those implements were treatment? They look like torture treatment.
Youth today don't know they're born - they complain when their needles get changed to something cheaper which is the same length but doesn't go in smoothly. I bet those beasts didn't glide into your body.

I am back to a cold Blighty. No sign of white stuff at the moment but it is forecast and compared to Barcelona, it is cold.
I think my long days and late nights have caught up with me. Hopefully, I shall sleep well in my own bed and have energy for some proper exercise (apart from a bit of walking, I have done nothing since my Monday run around the Olympic Village).
Hi Helen,

Do you have any tips for flying with insulin. I used to fly all over the world for work at a moments notice but this diabetes diagnosis has me quaking in my boots about a family holiday to Spain. Will be fine of course just need to get the first one out of the way but any advice for keeping insulin cool etc? Thanks

Reactions: kitedoc
K

Knikki

Hi Helen,

Do you have any tips for flying with insulin. I used to fly all over the world for work at a moments notice but this diabetes diagnosis has me quaking in my boots about a family holiday to Spain. Will be fine of course just need to get the first one out of the way but any advice for keeping insulin cool etc? Thanks

I have been a fair old few countries in my time and personally never tread my insulin etc with any sort of kid gloves.

Saying that,
If there is a fridge in the room then all the stuff goes in there.
You can get Frio (I think they are called) which are packs filled with cool gel that you cool in the fridge, don't know how long they last as never used them.
Going through Airports, keep EVERYTHING on you either in the pockets or hand luggage and I place all pens, insulin etc in a see through plastic bag and through the x-ray scanner they go.
Also split gear between you and wife, best be on the safe side.
Double pack everything, again just to be on the safe side.
Keep some snacks with you just in case you feel a hypo coming on.

Other than that pack your budgie smugglers and have fun.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shellback after landing, and collecting your bags (if any) if you are carrying insulin you have to go out via the red exit, and declare you're carry a lethal drug...............:hilarious:

What knikki says.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
? standing a long time with tight knee high boots on ?? Safe journey and hope the sitting helps dispel the fluid !!
They’re not quite knee high but they are very heavy! And then we did a charity walk yesterday morning on top... I can almost feel my kneecaps now, so it’s going down. My yoga instructor suggested I lay down with my feet on the wall for a bit to help them drain!

Back to my Hereford commute on Wednesday, got a mental health and substance misuse awareness for first responders course tomorrow...

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ive got pump clinic again at the end of the month porl69 how do you find putting the cannula in thats what putting me off also can you feel it when lying down i like to lie on my stomach and then does the pump its self get in the way xx
I always use an insertion device. Just like with syringes and pens, if the needle goes in quickly, it's much less painful. And if I've got it in a good place (which usually it is), I can lie on it no problem. Abs or buttocks, both work fine for me.
Frio (I think they are called)
They are indeed. I use a Frio pouch for spare insulin on a long trip. The lining is stuffed with little beads. You put it in cold water for half an hour or so to activate, then put your insulin straight from the fridge into it, and it's okay in there for several hours. https://friouk.com/

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I used a Frio pack this summer when I was out and about during the really hot weather, I figured my leather handbag might cook it. It’s an inner pouch with gel crystals in that you soak, and then put in a waterproof outer. It keeps it cool using evaporation.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hours? I have used mine for days and probably a week. You can see the gel start to "deflate" and top them up again.
When camping in the Atlas Mountains, there were not too many fridges around.
Good to know. I've never been on the road for more than a day or so.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

That was my worry...the dreaded cannula!! A finger prick hurts more :) I, honestly, couldn't feel it going in. I told the DSN that I had a broken one as I didn't feel it lol. I sleep on my stomach as well and didn't notice the pump or cunnula. I have bought a pump belt for bed, just in case. It was only a cheap thing AND it was a Spiderman one :hilarious::hilarious::):):rolleyes:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was my worry...the dreaded cannula!! A finger prick hurts more :) I, honestly, couldn't feel it going in. I told the DSN that I had a broken one as I didn't feel it lol. I sleep on my stomach as well and didn't notice the pump or cunnula. I have bought a pump belt for bed, just in case. It was only a cheap thing AND it was a Spiderman one :hilarious::hilarious::):):rolleyes:
Thanks porl69 x

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What pump did you get i know your not using insulin in it yet but what do ypu think of the pump itself and ease of use x

Reactions: Cumberland

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I'm in Scientific Experimenting Mode, and as I arrived home not particularly hungry this evening, I had what I usually have for breakfast, with the amount of insulin I'd usually take with it. Which has been most interesting and informative.

In the mornings, from a nice in-range number, I can eat that meal, walk 7000 steps to work, do a full active morning, usually adding another 5000 steps to the total, and be a nice in-range number at lunchtime.

This evening, I was a nice in-range number before I ate, taught two piano lessons, answered several e-mails, did a load of laundry, got it out off the machine, felt odd, tested, and am currently coaxing my numbers back up before attempting to hang the laundry up! All having added about 500 steps to the days total!

Good job I didn't want to go for another walk this evening, really.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My travel letter says that removal of my insulin pump from my person 'may prove lethal'.
Putting the pump through a baggage scanner voids the warranty. (good to know just in case you decide to carry a spare pump) !!
It is a pain because they then ask me to remove belt and shoes and step through the body scanner. I gather the body scanner is
less strong, and the pump does not set off an alarm anyway !!
Enjoy your trip !!

Reactions: Cumberland

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Disasters are genreally stopping. The snow has all gone too - two excellent walks up Penyghent and one up Whernside while it was around. Lots of using the mini spikes on our boots - they are magic.

Two weeks later, the sensor I applied without using the applicator has finally finished. It was one of the better ones I've had, though I think that merely says applying it manually works, rather than is better. Though that might have also been from using xdrip exclusively.

A week after sending the reader for a swim, I still haven't got the replacement, so I retrieved it from the bag of rice, the condensation on the inside of the screen having gone, and after a bit of poking with a different charger it worked too. Interestingly the battery was completely flat, which won't happen in a week of normal use - the water must have shorted a bit. It seems fully functional apart from the beeper being incredibly quiet (can just hear it if I hold it to my ear in a quiet room - ie it's knackered).

New reader was supposed to arrive yesterday (Monday), so I'll find out later if it's just late or has got lost.

And both my insulins are in identical blue Echo pens (my spare was blue). One now has red tape on it.