Diy Libre monitoring

Have been registered on the Abbots website for a while now as looking to start with the Libre... as yet there are no new subscribers so need to diy it myself.. l can download the app.. l can buy the sensors from asda but where can l get an applicator from or is it not possible.
I'm t2 and just want to check trends with my eating and also night time readings so l can make a plan of action based on how my body reacts to situations then tailor my diet and exercise accordingly.. any ideas

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Each sensor comes with its own applicator to attach it to your arm, so as long as you have an NFC enabled phone you should be fine (I also get mine from Asda)

ChrisJ_SLH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of bacon.
'Me too'... As long as your phone if compatible just buy the sensor from Asda or wherever and away you go, everything you need is on the box.

I'm drawing to the end of my first sensor now (2 days left) and have found it great so far.

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Agree with the above comments.
Started using the Libre recently. & basically, I don't deal with Abbot direct.
You maybe eligible for VAT exemption at the store pharmacy? You only need to fill out the brief form once. ;)

D

Deleted Account

I am another diy Librer.
There are a few phone apps to use.
LibreLink is the official app.
Glimp and xDrip allow you to calibrate and some people find them better.
They are all available for free from app stores.

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Samsung s8+ anyone use their libre with this model.. is it ok

Looking through the list of compatibles on the Glimp app. The S8+ range seems OK. Except for one model number "SM-G955F," "which may break sensor.?"

Hope this helps decision wise..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm t2 and just want to check trends with my eating and also night time readings so l can make a plan of action based on how my body reacts to situations then tailor my diet and exercise accordingly..
That’s what I was wanting to do.

For those buying at Asda is that online or in store?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Each sensor comes with its own applicator to attach it to your arm, so as long as you have an NFC enabled phone you should be fine (I also get mine from Asda)
Hi @Rokaab , do you buy in store at Asda or online?

Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
**** mine is the 955F

If it's any consolation to you? Lol, My A3 model number isn't on the "OK" list either... Though A3s in general are on the compatable list elsewhere, I get warnings thrown up with my phone using Glimp &'the official Abbot app it still works..
Just thought I'd throw in a "cautionary."

That’s what I was wanting to do.

For those buying at Asda is that online or in store?

Just walk upto the pharmacy section in store & enquire.... If they have it in stock? You can purchase. If they don't? They should happily order in...

Reactions: Listlad

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Rokaab , do you buy in store at Asda or online?
Have to buy in store, can't order it online afaik.
I tend to go to Asda every week for some groceries anyways so it's no big deal for me - its only a mile or so away from me.
For the first time ever just over a week ago they didn't have any in stock, but they had them in 3 days later.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's any consolation to you? Lol, My A3 model number isn't on the "OK" list either... Though A3s in general are on the compatable list elsewhere, I get warnings thrown up with my phone using Glimp &'the official Abbot app it still works..
Just thought I'd throw in a "cautionary."

Just walk upto the pharmacy section in store & enquire.... If they have it in stock? You can purchase. If they don't? They should happily order in...
Okay. Got it. I was googling Asda and not Asda Pharmacy. So I just phoned them and they have them in stock. The guy said I wouldn’t qualify for the VAT waiver as a Prediabetic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay. Got it. I was googling Asda and not Asda Pharmacy. So I just phoned them and they have them in stock. The guy said I wouldn’t qualify for the VAT waiver as a Prediabetic.

Unfortunately, they are correct on the VAT exemption regarding your status. Also I would not expect the pharmacist in attendance to be a "fountain of of knowledge" on Libre use? ;)

But there are plenty of visual "tutorials" on YouTube regarding taking your first "plunge" with this device...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am another diy Librer.
There are a few phone apps to use.
LibreLink is the official app.
Glimp and xDrip allow you to calibrate and some people find them better.
They are all available for free from app stores.
Are you another post code lottery Libre denied Type 1, if you don't mind me asking.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, they are correct on the VAT exemption regarding your status. Also I would not expect the pharmacist in attendance to be a "fountain of of knowledge" on Libre use? ;)

But there are plenty of visual "tutorials" on YouTube regarding taking your first "plunge" with this device...
I have seen the Abbott video. The device looks impressive.

Any idea why they last only 2 weeks? What is the limiting factor with them?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seen the Abbott video. The device looks impressive.

Any idea why they last only 2 weeks? What is the limiting factor with them?

I've no idea why they last for 14 days, its possibly due to the devices limited capacity to aquire the info gathered along with the body's autoimmune response to a "foreign body" invading it's space..? (The needle.) at a rough guess. (Think of a thorn or splinter as the body attempts to reject it?)
There could also be an element of "built in obsolescence" with the device. The cynic in me would suggest Abbot require repeated & frequent custom. ;)

As a choice l have also been reading about the dexcon g6.. they have a starter pack for £159.00 which has x3 sensors and applicators which will monitor for a whole month.. anyone looked into these