My way to stop all medications

Briana36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I decided enough was enough with T2 and medication. I was on Metformin 500mg also
Omeprazole 20mg and Losartan 50mg.
Height 6 ft, weight 15 St.
Recently had 3cm stone removed from my bladder, they cleared away a bit of my Prostate while they were at it.
Operation was fantastic, no pain, no side effects just four days in hospital whilst the flushed out my bladder of shattered stone.
From peeing or the urge to per every five minutes to 3-4 times a day and not a dribble but like a horse.
Taking this as an opportunity to get myself in order as blood test showed bad glucose levels and non alcoholic fatty liver decease and my GP suggesting I double my Metformin I done the following.
Cut out all bread
Cut out all cheese
Cut out all milk, butter and yoghurt
Believe me this painful being my favourite foods.

So for breakfast it's

Whole grain original rolled oats 50-70 grammes
Mix with 1 tsp. Cinnamon powder.
This MUST be real Ceylon no other.
1 tsp Ground Ginger.
2 cups of water.
Microwave for 3 mins

No milk, no milk or any sweetener

250ml with Worcester sauce or cup of green tea.

For lunch and dinner no change but cut down on any carbs especially sandwiches, cakes or biscuits.

Cut down on any fried foods and reduce portion size. Did I feel hungry no I felt starved but a few days if this and the discomfort receded.

Three months later and another full blood test. The GP was gobsmacked I was over the moon everything was within the normal ranges so ALL medication stopped.

Now this worked for me it may not work for you.

The bit that will work for you all is deciding on a target and sticking to it.

For another daily drink put 1 tablespoon of natural Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water, apparently good for cleansing your liver.

I've stuck by this diet and now weigh
13st 13 lbs.

Next review with GP 12 months.

Please check any changes with your GP prior to any severe changes.

Good luck

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Briana, before going overboard, why not look at the Home Page - Type 2 Diabetes and then at diets.
See which diets work., that is improve weight, improve BSLs AND which people can stay on.
For example: See what happens to people months after the end of the Newcastle diet.
We still all need our vitamins, minerals etc. otherwise we are worse off maybe!!!

Briana36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I decided enough was enough with T2 and medication. I was on Metformin 500mg also
Omeprazole 20mg and Losartan 50mg.
Height 6 ft, weight 15 St.
Recently had 3cm stone removed from my bladder, they cleared away a bit of my Prostate while they were at it.
Operation was fantastic, no pain, no side effects just four days in hospital whilst the flushed out my bladder of shattered stone.
From peeing or the urge to per every five minutes to 3-4 times a day and not a dribble but like a horse.
Taking this as an opportunity to get myself in order as blood test showed bad glucose levels and non alcoholic fatty liver decease and my GP suggesting I double my Metformin I done the following.
Cut out all bread
Cut out all cheese
Cut out all milk, butter and yoghurt
Believe me this painful being my favourite foods.

So for breakfast it's

Whole grain original rolled oats 50-70 grammes
Mix with 1 tsp. Cinnamon powder.
This MUST be real Ceylon no other.
1 tsp Ground Ginger.
2 cups of water.
Microwave for 3 mins

No milk, no milk or any sweetener

250ml with Worcester sauce or cup of green tea.

For lunch and dinner no change but cut down on any carbs especially sandwiches, cakes or biscuits.

Cut down on any fried foods and reduce portion size. Did I feel hungry no I felt starved but a few days if this and the discomfort receded.

Three months later and another full blood test. The GP was gobsmacked I was over the moon everything was within the normal ranges so ALL medication stopped.

Now this worked for me it may not work for you.

The bit that will work for you all is deciding on a target and sticking to it.

For another daily drink put 1 tablespoon of natural Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water, apparently good for cleansing your liver.

I've stuck by this diet and now weigh
13st 13 lbs.

Next review with GP 12 months.

Please check any changes with your GP prior to any severe changes.

Good luck
Sorry don't know how too edit my original post so a couple of corrections.

(No milk, no milk or any sweetener)

Should read: No milk, no sugar or any sweetener

(250ml with Worcester sauce or cup of green tea.)

Should read:
250ml low salt, low sugar Tomato Juice with Worcester Sauce or cup of green tea.

You can include Chips, pies or any high carb foods on the no no list. Having said that the odd portion with a long gap between won't harm.

Remember it was my lifestyle, and possibly yours that got us in this situation and only we can get us out.

Remember there is NO medications that will cure an ailment and IF there are you're talking of Hundreds or Thousands of pounds.

If pharmaceutical companies cured the problem they would all be bankrupt, they want to relieve the problem and keep you coming back.

Only you can do it, it takes willpower and determination but you'll be mighty proud of yourself when you've accomplished it.

Ignore the sarcastic knockers who say ' you won't keep it up '. You can do it, six month's, twelve month's so what that's nothing in a lifetime.

Reactions: Trevandval

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Basically, you put yourself on a calorie restricted diet that seems to me to be low fat and lower in carbs (the whole grains and oats are high in carbs). What do you plan to do when you reach your target weight if you havn't already?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Just pointing out that without care some diets have been known to leave people vitamin &/or mineral deficient in the longer term.
Just as an exercise, not professional advice or opinion: where does your calcium and Vitamin C and D come from with your diet?
And did your GP, besides being gobsmacked, actually enquire and ask such questions??

Briana36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Basically, you put yourself on a calorie restricted diet that seems to me to be low fat and lower in carbs (the whole grains and oats are high in carbs). What do you plan to do when you reach your target weight if you havn't already?
Thank you for your interest.

Although I've cut out a lot of what I used to eat it seems to be more of a reduced diet than restricted. Let's say I was somewhat over indulgent in the Carbs, Fat and Sugar department hence I blame myself entirely for the condition I put myself in.
I downloaded an useful app called Nutracheck that I religiously record every morsel that enters my mouth.
Diets are, I find, difficult and horrible things to follow therefore I don't call it such.
My wife and I are both 83, my wife has always been well disciplined in her eating and so never had the Diabetes problem although in her youth she ended up anorexic, but that's another story.
Personally before retiring at 73 I would snack on anything Chips, Burgers, Sandwiches, you no the sort of thing, never seemed to have any side effects but it caught up with me.
Although I can control my breakfast with the Oats being slow release carbs, I'm going to stop my Tomato Juice when I've run out, the salt and sugar content I could do without.
For all other meals making separate meals would not be practical so I generally eat what my wife likes.
Most of these are convenience foods, Fish, frozen vegetables, meat dishes and Indian Curries, nearly all of these contain fats of some sort.
My daily intakes over four week periods are currently:
Fat. 70g *
Sat fat. 21g *
Carbs 176g
Sugar. 34g
Protein. 53g
Salt. 6.5g*

I need to lower the ones marked * I think the Curries don't help but hell my object was to get rid of my medication and get good blood test results which I seem to have accomplished.
My goal weight is 13st, that could be year or more away if ever.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your interest.

Although I've cut out a lot of what I used to eat it seems to be more of a reduced diet than restricted. Let's say I was somewhat over indulgent in the Carbs, Fat and Sugar department hence I blame myself entirely for the condition I put myself in.
I downloaded an useful app called Nutracheck that I religiously record every morsel that enters my mouth.
Diets are, I find, difficult and horrible things to follow therefore I don't call it such.
My wife and I are both 83, my wife has always been well disciplined in her eating and so never had the Diabetes problem although in her youth she ended up anorexic, but that's another story.
Personally before retiring at 73 I would snack on anything Chips, Burgers, Sandwiches, you no the sort of thing, never seemed to have any side effects but it caught up with me.
Although I can control my breakfast with the Oats being slow release carbs, I'm going to stop my Tomato Juice when I've run out, the salt and sugar content I could do without.
For all other meals making separate meals would not be practical so I generally eat what my wife likes.
Most of these are convenience foods, Fish, frozen vegetables, meat dishes and Indian Curries, nearly all of these contain fats of some sort.
My daily intakes over four week periods are currently:
Fat. 70g *
Sat fat. 21g *
Carbs 176g
Sugar. 34g
Protein. 53g
Salt. 6.5g*

I need to lower the ones marked * I think the Curries don't help but hell my object was to get rid of my medication and get good blood test results which I seem to have accomplished.
My goal weight is 13st, that could be year or more away if ever.

Briana, you're 83, whatever you are doing is working for you, well done and long may it continue. x

Briana36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just pointing out that without care some diets have been known to leave people vitamin &/or mineral deficient in the longer term.
Just as an exercise, not professional advice or opinion: where does your calcium and Vitamin C and D come from with your diet?
And did your GP, besides being gobsmacked, actually enquire and ask such questions??
Thank you, I know my Vitamin D is OK that was included in my blood test.
I'll check up on the Calcium and Vitamin C, very important, I'll be back.

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Briana, Good to know about your Vitamin D level .
My question is more about how do you maintain an adequate intake of such things and others on your current diet?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I know my Vitamin D is OK that was included in my blood test.
I'll check up on the Calcium and Vitamin C, very important, I'll be back.

Unless you are supplementing, decent, natural Vitamin D levels are ususual in UK, unless the person works outdoors, or spends significant periods in the sun. For me, if my Doc says something is OK, I always ask for the numbers so that I can assess "OK" for myself.

That said, well done getting off your meds.

Reactions: Flora123

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
For me, if my Doc says something is OK, I always ask for the numbers so that I can assess "OK" for myself.

@Briana36 - this above, always get a copy of the results. Doctors are well known for saying everything is "OK" when they are really not. Not saying that your results aren't, just pointing out that this is at times common.

Briana36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Briana, Good to know about your Vitamin D level .
My question is more about how do you maintain an adequate intake of such things and others on your current diet?
We try to have a varied range of meals which we repeat over a couple of weeks or so. They will always include one or more of the following, the vegetables are from frozen, fresh vegetables loose any benefits quickly.

Broccoli
Okra ( Bhindi )
Chillies
Cauliflower
Brussel sprouts ( I love them my wife hates them )
Sardines
Eggs ( poached or omelette )

I believe these are all good sources of a variety of vitamins.

Briana36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Briana36 - this above, always get a copy of the results. Doctors are well known for saying everything is "OK" when they are really not. Not saying that your results aren't, just pointing out that this is at times common.
I agree entirely, I always get a copy of any blood test etc There are so many sites available to check and interpret the numbers.
YouTube also have video's explaining each type of test's and the effects.