Visit to My GP

Honeyend

I am a HCP. Boo hiss. If they haven't had LC endorsed by the powers that control their teaching, it has to be 'evidenced based', its best after the, 'I am controlling the amount of carbohydrate I eat', and you do not the right answer, its best to do C. Less stressful.
Its frustrating, but honestly its not worth the breath. In a two years time when its filtered through they will be selling LC hard like a used a car, and conveniently forgetting the HF.
I know we all know this but I thought this article, described the madness very well.
https://robbwolf.com/2017/01/05/why...g0P-fUuGmDja1vWbRO2qUeI-NJ4wtqfRbuH--qW3xq-WU

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a HCP. Boo hiss. If they haven't had LC endorsed by the powers that control their teaching, it has to be 'evidenced based', its best after the, 'I am controlling the amount of carbohydrate I eat', and you do not the right answer, its best to do C. Less stressful.
Its frustrating, but honestly its not worth the breath. In a two years time when its filtered through they will be selling LC hard like a used a car, and conveniently forgetting the HF.
I know we all know this but I thought this article, described the madness very well.
https://robbwolf.com/2017/01/05/why...g0P-fUuGmDja1vWbRO2qUeI-NJ4wtqfRbuH--qW3xq-WU
:D. Thanks @Honeyend

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Honeyend, maybe you could help fast forward the couple of years by promoting te RCPG's elearning module:

upload_2019-2-26_2-22-7.png

http://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/view.php?id=291

And the Low Carb Programme, which is now in the NHS App Library, so is NHS endorsed:

https://www.nhs.uk/apps-library/low-carb-program/

upload_2019-2-26_2-22-7.png

It's all out there, right now, just waiting for the adoption process.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-26_2-19-50.png
    upload_2019-2-26_2-19-50.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 272

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So....in view of my HbA1c result what am I going to say to my GP next week?

I am looking forward to having that “how did you do it?” conversation. :D

Reactions: gemma_T1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So....in view of my HbA1c result what am I going to say to my GP next week?

I am looking forward to having that “how did you do it?” conversation. :D

What they should really be talking about is what you did betweenDec 2014, Feb 2015 and Aug 2015 when your HbA1c went from T2 to "pre-diabetic" to non diabetic which it looks like you have been ever since? In the NHS eyes you have been "In remission" since Aug 2015.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What they should really be talking about is what you did betweenDec 2014, Feb 2015 and Aug 2015 when your HbA1c went from T2 to "pre-diabetic" to non diabetic which it looks like you have been ever since? In the NHS eyes you have been "In remission" since Aug 2015.
Next to my 2014 reading of 49 it says normal. That record does not exist in the U.K. NHS records. How? The 49 and some of the other readings in 2015 etc do not appear in the U.K. record but do in the Manx NHS record. So the U.K. NHS seem to be unaware of the earliest readings, something I will mention when I see them next week.

What I did after 2014 was to reduce sweet products and sugar. It was only this month that I radically reduced carbs. I had been told till then to take brown rice, brown bread etc etc etc

@bulkbiker Have you been to the I of Man ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next to my 2014 reading of 49 it says normal. That record does not exist in the U.K. NHS records. How? The 49 and some of the other readings in 2015 etc do not appear in the U.K. record but do in the Manx NHS record. So the U.K. NHS seem to be unaware of the earliest readings, something I will mention when I see them next week.

What I did after 2014 was to reduce sweet products and sugar. It was only this month that I radically reduced carbs. I had been told till then to take brown rice, brown bread etc etc etc

@bulkbiker Have you been to the I of Man ?
No, never... ?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, never... ?
Okay. A lot of motorcycling enthusiasts go there. I thought you might be a motorbike enthusiast.

But what I was going to say is the easy way for me to describe the I of Man is it is the same but different. They have their own NHS that is modelled on the U.K. NHS. My records came across to the U.K. in 2017 but it seems not everything has been uploaded / transferred across. I have a paper copy of the I of Man records, however.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay. A lot of motorcycling enthusiasts go there. I thought you might be a motorbike enthusiast.

But what I was going to say is the easy way for me to describe the I of Man is it is the same but different. They have their own NHS that is modelled on the U.K. NHS. My records came across to the U.K. in 2017 but it seems not everything has been uploaded / transferred across. I have a paper copy of the I of Man records, however.
No I've never been to the TT but I do have a strong biking background (have always had at least 1 since the age of 18 apart from 2 years living in Singapore).
Bit odd that they haven't sent your records over though.. good idea to check why with the GP especially as I'm guessing they should all be computerised, although knowing the NHS they will all be on different incompatible systems...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I've never been to the TT but I do have a strong biking background (have always had at least 1 since the age of 18 apart from 2 years living in Singapore).
Bit odd that they haven't sent your records over though.. good idea to check why with the GP especially as I'm guessing they should all be computerised, although knowing the NHS they will all be on different incompatible systems...
They did send the records over but for some reason they are incompletely transferred over. There are the first 3 of my HBA1c that do not appear in my UK records, whilst other stuff does. Maybe a Friday afternoon job for the admin staff?

Oh well IOM TT is a bit of a Mecca for bikers.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Next week I will have an HbA1c Test. Followed by a 20 minute visit to the nurse covering both diabetes issues and blood pressure issues. Culminating in a visit to my GP. Here he is likely to either proclaim me T2 diabetic or Prediabetic or even sub Prediabetic. Either way I am sure diet will crop up even if it is briefly mentioned.

If he talks of a balanced diet including brown rice, brown bread etc should I :

A) Politely tell him where to go
B) Immediately counter with LCHF strategies and their worth
C) Nod and smile.
C

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP visit is on Friday.

Reading David Unwins paper my GP shares the same surname as one of David Unwin’s associates. It will be interesting to see if they are related. I have printed off a copy of David Unwin’s paper ready to go, but handing that to my GP could be inflammatory and counter productive. I notice that my GP, (was unaware of this before) is also high profile but for differing reasons, so our next appointment could prove all the more interesting.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might also like to mention to your GP that this is available for him/her to provide for patients.

This would be useful, too, @Listlad . Give to GP and nurse, let them know how easy it is for them to provide it for their patients.
https://www.nhs.uk/apps-library/low-carb-program/
I have considered this approach but also wondered that surely the entire practice must already be aware of this stuff? Or could it be that they are not at all - hard to believe that the GPs at my practice are unaware of David Unwins work and success?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have considered this approach but also wondered that surely the entire practice must already be aware of this stuff? Or could it be that they are not at all - hard to believe that the GPs at my practice are unaware of David Unwins work and success?
Many GPS find themselves so busy they hardly know which was is up, never mind what some GP, elsewhere, is doing, apparently swimming against the tide of longstanding medical beliefs.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many GPS find themselves so busy they hardly know which was is up, never mind what some GP, elsewhere, is doing, apparently swimming against the tide of longstanding medical beliefs.
Understood but surely saving the practice financial outlay is something all practices might be alert to?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good luck with getting your records updated. I moved to Yorkshire from Liverpool over 35 years ago and apparently I was quarried from stone when I arrived here as there is no record of me (medically speaking) before the move.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Understood but surely saving the practice financial outlay is something all practices might be alert to?

When I pitched to my GP ( who was very interested, but admittedly not a partner), on the basis on cash saved, oust health outcomes, the Senior Partner declared it not for them.

As I have the skills, I had even offered to set up the results and cost tracking paperwork/software required, without charge.

Can't win 'em all.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I pitched to my GP ( who was very interested, but admittedly not a partner), on the basis on cash saved, oust health outcomes, the Senior Partner declared it not for them.

As I have the skills, I had even offered to set up the results and cost tracking paperwork/software required, without charge.

Can't win 'em all.
Who do these people answer to?

How does David Unwin get the latitude to succeed in this way but not other practices?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd guess because he is the senior gp in his practice and can set the parameters.