Erratic blood sugar levels!

gingercat

Hi,

Although as some of you who have read my recent thread in the T2 will know, I am having difficulty in accepting I am diabetic :?: :?: However, I do check my BS several times in the day (I am getting bored of this though). I do find my readings are very erratic and I wonder if anyone could suggest why? I don't tend to vary my meals preferring to keep them to things I trust and enjoy. For example, my breakfast will often consist of rice krispies, lunch is usually a carbohydrate meal (I do enjoy carbohydrates) and my tea might be some slices of cheese and crackers. Nothing extravangant! Still rather than being within a similar range, they do vary by roughly 10 mmol.

My fasting morning readings are always about 15-16 - maybe similar there, but then my post lunch/stea readings can by anyway from 19 - 29mmol.

Hope someone can suggest a reason? :roll:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi gingercat :) I think your diet could do with a bit of tweaking to help stabilise your BG levels. You need to get those carbs down unfortunately! The Forum Monitors have written a document of basic information for new members and I think this could be helpful to you, especially with regards to your diet. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

After reading this please ask all the questions you want. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi gingercat

I'm afraid you are eating too much carbohydrate. Read the guidance via the link Daisy sent you.

You should be aiming for the NICE guideline blood glucose levels for Type 2s, which are between 4.0 and 7.0 mmol/l before meals/fasting, and less than 8.5 mmol/l 2 hours after eating.

If you test immediately you get up, then before each meal to establish your level, and 2 hours after a meal to see how much it has affected you blood glucose, you should see how things are going. Don't get bored with testing - it lets you know what's going on.

I eat eggs for breakfast, a fish or meat salad for lunch, and a hot protein meal with green veg for supper. Cheese, a few nuts, or maybe one piece of fruit (eg an apple - not a banana!) for snacks. Occasionally I'll have a couple of crispbreads or oatcakes for that 'crunch' mouthfeel. I can also manage a small portion of 85% dark chocolate without doing too much harm. If you're vegetarian it's more of a problem, but it can be done.

I'm on a very low carb diet, and you may not have to go that far - but my bgs haven't been outside the guidelines since Christmas. And I was only diagnosed in December.

It's awful cutting down on your carbs - I love bread, and potatoes, particularly exotic breads and chips and mashed potatoes. But I'd rather do without them than go blind or have my feet amputated, which can happen if we don't control our blood sugars.

Your choice!

Keep trying - you'll get lots of support and help on here.

Viv :)

gingercat

Thanks ladies! :D

A bit daunting :shock:

I am not bothered about eating bread, but I do like other carbs! Yes I am a vegetarian, typical :cry:

On the plus, I do eat cheese & eggs! :D

May as well enjoy it now before I enter.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Have I mentioned the Rose Elliott Low Carb Diet for Vegetarians book? I don't know the exact title, but I think it's on Amazon.

Hang on in there!

Viv :)

kareng236

A nurse at the hospital suggested a few nuts as a good snack. Unfortunately they are not good in the calorie and fat stakes, but at least they are not full of carbohydrates. I can appreciate how hard it is if you are vegetarian - as meat is one of the few carbohydrate-free foods. It is not every-one's cup of tea, but I have been enjoying the £1 pots of ready prepared salad from the supermarket. My favourite contains lettuce, a sprinkling of grated carrot, a few pieces of pepper and some kernels of sweetcorn. I was not very impressed initially, but with a coating of watered down dressing - it makes a welcome meal/snack if my readings are high and I am hungry. The doctor at the Diabetic clinic said that strawberries and raspberries are a good choice of fruit. I read somewhere on the Internet that blackberries actually lower sugar levels. No nurse, Doctor or dietitian has given it much credence, but I have eaten blackberries daily for weeks and seem to be enjoying good readings. However, it seems we all have different tolerances and reactions to food...........but it may be worth experimenting.

sparkles

Hi ginger cat.
I did read your thread in T2. One has a lot to cope with being a parent but being a parent of children who have disabilities means the work load is greater for you along with the stress etc. Well done with both the parenting and coming to terms with and coping with your diabetes.

I am not so new to diabetes but like you it has taken me a long time to get around to trying to deal with it. First I have to understand it. This means I’ve had to learn about it. I’m still learning. Its ongoing.

And I’ve only recently after two years reached the point of acknowledging to myself that I need to act.
Its only now that I’ve started to look at what I’m eating and relate that to my diabetes.

I don’t know that much about diets or about nutrition. (Never mind in realtion to diabeted)

But looking at what people seem to advise on this forum and looking at what you are saying about your results. Id say there could be a problem if you are eating too many carbs , especially at lunch time.
I am trying to low carb diet. I didn’t get the idea from this website but from a book. Though I think people here are largely in favour of low-carb diets as apposed to other types of diets.

don’t know and perhaps someone else will back me up there? (or shoot me down!)

It looks to me like perhaps you are just very sensitive to the amoun of carbs you are taking in.
But really I don’t know.

Just wanted to give you my 2 p worth of support and to say well done with coping with kids, disabilities and diagnosiseeeeeess . I think you are on the right track in that you are looking at what you eat in relation to your diabetes and you are not extravagant in what you are eating. But I think it might just be you are eating more carbs that your particular body can cope with.

All the best and keep on looking after yourself and your diabetes. If you do you will get it right in the end and you and your family will benefit.
Sparkles.

(Ha by the time I got this ready to post you had got answers…
Ha well hope we all agree in some way. )

Ogri

I too found it very difficult to accept my T2 diagnosis and for a few years I played fast and free with my diet, nights down the pub and kebabs on the way home. Now I am living with the consequences of my foolishness as I am about to start insulin because the tablets no longer work efficiently and I am experiencing the early signs of possible diabetes complications. My diabetes worsened literally over a few days and yes, I never thought it would happen to me (how many people on this forum have thought that)!

Now I stick to a low carb diet because if I have the slightest item of food that is not diabetes friendly, my bs go through the roof!

This is my experience-I hope it helps.