Newly diagnosed

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i am a 51 year old male newly diagnosed type 2
Pretty frightened as my gp said my reading was 92. Put me on 2 metformin and a statin for cholesterol. Dont know where to start
Anyone help
6ft tal 16 stone in weight

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Leemalcolm and welcome to the forum.

Many of us T2s have been able to achieve normal blood sugars levels after being diagnosed with an even higher HbA1c than yours by changing what we eat. Mine was 100 and I was back to 34 within 3 months.

Have a read around and ask any questions you may have. The people on the forum are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

Also tagging @daisy1 for some great information.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lee and welcome! First let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post.
You’ve definitely come to the right place for support and info. Did you get any advice about diet,? Diet is the key to control, Metformin is a very mild drug so only helps a tiny bit.
My tips that worked for me are to adopt a low carb diet, take your Metformin and invest in a blood glucose meter.
We can help you with all of this, just fire away with any questions you have.
Statins are a whole subject of their own, there’s a lot of misinformation about regarding them. You might like to do a search of this site as there’s a lot been written about them. Personally I’ve declined them.

KMcRae

Hi and welcome to the forum.You’ve definitely come to the right place for support and info. Did you get any advice about diet,? Diet is the key to control, Metformin is a very mild drug so only helps a tiny bit.
My tips that worked for me are to adopt a low carb diet, take your Metformin and invest in a blood glucose meter.There are so many helpful people and tips on here

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Pretty frightened as my gp said my reading was 92. Put me on 2 metformin and a statin for cholesterol. Dont know where to start
Anyone help
Hello and welcome :) Apart from reading Daisy1's fabulous post when it arrives, I also warmly recommend that you read Jo's blog on nutrition. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/. Also, please do hop over on Dietdoctor.com and give it a good read.

Reactions: Debandez

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone help

Any what your "cholesterol" level was and did you get a full lipid panel as part of the blood test to justify the statin?
Did your doctor even ty to justify it?
My HbA1c was 87 on diagnosis but it should be manageable by dietary changes.

Reactions: Debandez

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Anyone help

Welcome to the forum! Well you can see from my signature how high mine was at the start of this year and in just a short time I hit 41 (even with the recovery period of some 11's and so on). You're in the right place, don't worry about that.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Some excellent replies above. All I can add is you need to know what your cholesterol results were, including the full breakdown of HDL, LDL and triglycerides. This is essential knowledge before you agree to the statins. Gps tend to give out statins like sweeties with no real reason to do so. You can ask for a print out of your blood test results. These will show which tests you had and the results plus the normal standard reference ranges. You are entitled to these print outs. Also, if you are in England your blood test results may be on-line as most surgeries have this option. You can ask at your surgery how to register for this. When first diagnosed you need all this information so you know where you are starting from. Anything you don't understand you can ask on this forum.

Reactions: Caeseji and briped

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum, adding to the advice above, it is a good idea to get yourself a Blood Testing meter to keep track of your glucose levels. This will enable you to see what foods up your BGs, and so what foods to reduce.
Many people on here find pasta, bread, cakes etc (all including carbs) will push up their levels, and so reduce or cut them out. Good luck, with determination you can do it!

Reactions: Caeseji

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Thanks for the replies guys
My cholesterol reading was 7.5 so i think my gp was being overly cautios as he knew my family history and my mum died of type 2 related issues at only 60 years old with high cholesterol too but she was a smoker whereas i have never smoked so that will help. I havent got an appointment with my diabetic nurse for 3 weeks so i am looking online and in this forum for now but it does scare me when i think of my mum being diagnosed at the same age as myself. Its really the food side of things im more worried about getting right as there are so many conflicting things what you should and shouldnt eat and drink.
Thanks again for the advice
Lee

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like i have just read jos blog as suggested and im confused full fat things but i was advised to go low fat low carb foods which doesnt leave a lot
Confused

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just dropping the starchy foods like bread, pasta, rice potatoes and sugar stuff will make a big difference to your glucose levels. As to the fat that is up to you how much you want to eat some here go very high on the saturated fat and others are lower and that is a personal choice

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Leemalcolm and welcome to the forum.

Many of us T2s have been able to achieve normal blood sugars levels after being diagnosed with an even higher HbA1c than yours by changing what we eat. Mine was 100 and I was back to 34 within 3 months.

Have a read around and ask any questions you may have. The people on the forum are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

Also tagging @daisy1 for some great information.

Leemalcolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Thanks and really well done i hope i have the same outcome. I am confused though. Been shopping and got loads of fruit and veg but i have been reading on here people saying fruit is bad and i should be eating fats like bacon sausage etc. If you dont mind sharing what you started on food wise to achieve your brilliant results

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Thanks and really well done i hope i have the same outcome. I am confused though. Been shopping and got loads of fruit and veg but i have been reading on here people saying fruit is bad and i should be eating fats like bacon sausage etc. If you dont mind sharing what you started on food wise to achieve your brilliant results

Yes, fruit is not good for a T2 diabetic. It contains a lot of fructose which is dealt with entirely in the liver, and regarded by the liver as toxic rather like alcohol. It eventually gets stored round the liver as fat, and as a fatty liver is a precursor to insulin resistance, which leads to T2, it is not a good idea. Berries are the best fruits to eat (raspberries, strawberries) in small quantities, washed down with a full fat unsweetened yogurt or double cream. Tropical fruits such as bananas and grapes are the worst.

It is starchy carbs you need to avoid or seriously reduce - potato, pasta, rice, bread, pastry, batter and anything made with flour. This list also includes root vegetables such as carrots. Veg that grows above ground is normally OK. Because we reduce the amount of carbs we eat we have to find the lost energy from somewhere or we will get tired and fatigued, and the best source of that is fat. There are good fats and bad fats, and you will find differing opinions on which is what. You can also increase your protein, bearing in mind that most protein sources also contain fat. Also, all carbs will raise your blood sugar levels. No fats will do this, in fact, they help rather than hinder.

The NHS tell us all to eat low fat, especially if we have high cholesterol. This is old science. The NHS hasn't caught up with the latest science.

You say your cholesterol is 7.5. However, that on its own is meaningless. You need to know what this is made up of. Not all cholesterol is bad.

Reactions: ziggy_w

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Leemalcolm welcome! I am a lacto-ovo-pesca-vegetarian (45 yrs now) who really isn’t going to eat non-fowl or fish unless I manage to shoot a healthy deer one day.... Too old to change. My diet was fairly Mediterranean, beans, whole grains, huge servings of any veg I wanted, 3 fruits a day, eggs, a little cheese, lots of olive oil, nuts, and... too much stress eating of chocolate ice cream.
Now i’ve very reluctantly cut out all fruit as it raised my BGs too much. Ditto carrots and other root veggies, also reluctantly. I eat lots of spinach, celery, tomatoes, cucumber, sweet peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, some celeriac, a low carb tortilla that has lots of fiber in it, breads made with flax, almond, hemp, and other low carb flours. I eat more chicken than I used to, and WAY more cheese, butter, and cream than I ever have. The olive oil stayed - I love the stuff. This way of eating is quite satisfying to me.
Good luck on your journey! Hunt here for the “what have you eaten today?” thread for more food ideas than can be imagined :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Hi @Leemalcolm,

Thanks for your reply. There is probably a good chance that you can turn this around, many of us T2s have been able to do this eating a low-carb or ketogenic diet. It's probably worth giving it a try.

So, I agree with @Bluetit1802 -- strawberries, raspberries and blackberries as fruit are fine. They are about 5g of carbs per 100g -- so shouldn't raise your blood sugars much unless you eat a lot of them. Non-starchy veggies such as broccoli, cauliflour, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, okra, cabbage, eggplant, zucchini, different types of lettuce are great.

Eating protein is also important to maintain your muscle mass -- the amount is probably pretty much the same you would eat on any other way of eating too.

However, unless you up the amount of fat you eat, you will be hungry just eating low carb fruit and low-carb veggies and low-fat meat. So, good sources of fat are cheese, nuts, butter, cream, olive oil, full-fat plain Greek yoghurt, olives and avocados.

Also, high cocoa-content chocolate (80% plus) is fine for us.

In the beginning, this might need some getting used to this way of eating -- in the beginning I was often at a loss with food ideas, but you'll soon adjust to it. If you are curious as to what some us eat, you might head over to the https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1232 thread.

Make sure you use a salt liberally as this way of eating does deplete our salt reserves.

Re statins -- when first diagnosed, my lipid ratios were quite horrid (high trigs, low HDL), which is quite typical for T2s. Changing to low-carb high-fat eating also fixed this.

Hope this helps a bit -- don't want to overwhelm you with information. Please ask away if you have more questions.

Last edited:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Leemalcolm
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.