Thinking about going on the pump

A

Anonymous

Hi I am 21 and I have been diabetic since I was 5. I have always injected I take humalog with meals and lantus at night and my control isn't too bad I did kind of get out of control a few years back but everything is getting back to normal now. I did the DAFNE course a few years back and I have followed that ever since and that works great. I have been looking at the OmniPod insulin pump and I am considering it but I am not so sure. I don't really mind injections because to me the needle is in and out within a few seconds and to me that doesn't bother me but if I went on the pump I suppose I would have more freedom. I am just wondering can anyone go on the pump or do you have to have certain requirements? I am scared of going on it and not being able to get use to it

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There are criteria set down by NICE that PCT's follow.

Personally I like my pump, and there are a lot os comments on here from others that do as well. Hardwork initally, but worth it...I think there was somebody that posted on here that if you can use a mobile phone, then you can use a pump....I am dumbfounded by normal techno gadget's but can manage pump ok.

I think I would have found the last 25+ years easier if the pumps had been available back then....I wouldn't hand mine back.

josie38

Hi jodie,

I have my pump nearly a year and i wouldn't be without it. I use an Accu-chek spirit combo, like donnellysdogs. They are relatively easy to use.

Try asking your DSN what the guidlines are......I suggest you investigate really well and if you can see if your DSN can put you in touch with a pump user to talk to about it. There isn't a lot of downside to having a pump but you have to consider if you can be attached to a pump 24/7 or not.

Good luck if you decide to get one........keep updating and if you have any questions plese ask.

Josie

jopar

If you fit the NICE guidelines then the PCT have to fund your pump therapy, some clinics are more pump friendly than others.. You don't have to fit all the creteria and the PCT/clinic can pick or chose the aspects that depicts whether you entitled to funding either..

If you are interest in pump therapy, you can find all the information you need including the NICE guidelines here www.input.me.uk these can also help with many aspects of funding issues (they help make up the quango that reviews the guidelines)..

the_exile

Jodie, where about in the UK do you live? If England, you should be ok, as others have said it's against the law for a PCT to not provide you with one if you meet the NICE criteria, if Scotland, depending what area you live in you may not even be considered as there's no legal obligation to provide a pump for type 1 diabetics.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies :) I do live in England. I am just wondering if I did decide to go on it would my insulin stay the same? At the moment I put a prescription in at the doctors every month and then go to the local chemist to collect my blood strips, pen needles and insulin. Would I get the supplies for the pump on prescription too or does it work differently?

smaynard

My daughter has a Medtronic pump. Insulin, blood strips etc. still come on prescription but pump consumables (infusion sets etc.) I order via the hospital and they are delivered to me straight from the manufacturer.

jopar

If you went on the pump..

You have to fill up the pump cartridges from the old fashioned insulin vial (about 3 cartridges from one vial) this will be added to your prescription, you have to keep spare background and quick acting insulin cartridges + pens in case of emergency, such as pump failure.. This this part of your prescription will stay as normal, insulin and test strips via your gp..

The pump consumables, cartridges, service packs, infusion sets aren't available on normal prescription, this will be dependant on how your clinic arrangements but it either of two ways..

You clinic

Will set up an account with the pump company so you can order directly from the company, most clinics will ask you to order 3 months supply at a time (keeps delivery costs down)

or

Some clinic's arrange for their pumpers to order/pick up their supplies direct from the hospita clinic..

If you are suceesful with getting an insulin pump, your clinic will inform you about the arrangements they have concerning the consumables side of it..

Again if you are succesful most pump manufactors will supply one or two pump cases with the pump as part of the package, but carry a array of different case/pouches, strips for wearing the pump, you can order these direct from the manufacturer but you have to bare the cost of this..

josie38

Hi jodie,

You can still have humalog if you go on a pump...it will just be changed to 10ml vials which you can still collect the way you do now and all your test strips but as smaynard said infusion sets and batteries for pump are delivered to you. I live in west midlands and i have to phone up and order mine and they usually delivered in 48 hours.

Hope it helps.......

Are you any nearer to a decision?

Josie

A

Anonymous

I think I may give it a go even though it will take some getting use to but It does seem easier then injections. When I next go up to the hospital for my appointment I will mention it to them

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
hi jodie,

The guys who have already posted have given great advice already, just wanted to add when i was thinking about the pump i googled 'insulin pump blog' i read quite a few, as it gives you a really good insight on pumps, the pro's and con's.

If you ask at your next appointment they should be able to show you one as most hospitals have a fully working pump that they keep for demonstrations and training.

Some hospitals will let you trial a pump for a week or to before you commit yourself.

The pump does give you more freedom but is alot of hardwork especially at the beginning.

My nurse once told me that many of the pump patients at my hospital would have to be buried under the patio before they would give it back!

Come back and ask as many questions as you like as there is alot to think about before you go ahead :)

A

Anonymous

What happens when you shower do you have to disconnect it? I am really hoping I am successful in getting one now. The more I think about it the more I think that it's a brilliant idea :)

josie38

Hi jodie,

You are allowed to disconnect from the pump for an hour a day for showering etc. I disconnect when i get dressed as well but if you are successful they will explain all this to you. My DSN kept emphasises "Testing testing testing" bit....so if unsure about whether the bolus has gone through or if you've had it disconnected for some reason you just test bs and you can do an adjustment on the pump.

I recently went away for a few days and loved it because I know how long a cartridge will last and only had to remember blood monitor and didnt worry about my pump!!!!

Josie

jopar

Jodie said:
I think I may give it a go even though it will take some getting use to but It does seem easier then injections. When I next go up to the hospital for my appointment I will mention it to them

Be warned, pumps aren't click and go affairs nor a magic wand, they will only be as good as the user, the learning curve is pretty steep and to start a lot of testing involved to get basal rates etc settled..

Once you've set up yes the pumps do have their advantages, but there again they do come with disadavantages as well...

Such as when I had my car stolen last week when I was over an hour away from home, I had my insulin but my hubby insulin the twit had left in the car!

jopar

Sadly catherine that is more of a promotion video and too simplistic..

He say's he was up and running with his pump, but forgets to say yes it only take a couple hours (less than that) to set a basic basal rate, and attach the pump to you, but it can take several weeks of sleepless nights, hours of testing and faffing with settings to get the basal rate correct, some people can take months just getting this first part sorted!

Then you've got the process of working out adjustments to cover exercise, what bolus works best for what foods and situations it can take upto 6 months or more to sort out..

The spirit pump was my first pump when I started pumping..