Angiogram anyone?

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, this is an odd question but I am due to have an angiogram in a couple of weeks and the thing I am most nervous about is after the op. I remember when my dad has been in hospital, they always offer a sandwich or biscuits after the procedure. This is a day case.
My blood sugar goes really high, for me, if I eat wholemeal let alone white bread. The other day it was 5.4 and shot up to over 11 two hours after eating.
Does anyone know if they offer something else or should I take my own food?
Thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Thecrazy_1, What type of angiogram is it? Leg arteries, ? heart ?.
You need to ask your doctor or DSN about diet and BSL management.

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry. Heart angiogram. My blood sugar is fairly stable just not with bread.

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do avoid bread. Hence my original question about what to do on the day of the procedure.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After my recent experience of hospital food, I’d advise you to take your own!

Reactions: Flora123

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if this is the case in all hospitals but when I went in as a day case last November (for a hernia repair) after the op they offered me a ham salad before I went home. Surprisingly it was delicious (and fresh!). Good luck for your procedure.

Reactions: Thecrazy_1

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are really worried then just take something from home to eat I think they are used to patients doing that in hospitals these days.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, this is an odd question but I am due to have an angiogram in a couple of weeks and the thing I am most nervous about is after the op. I remember when my dad has been in hospital, they always offer a sandwich or biscuits after the procedure. This is a day case.
My blood sugar goes really high, for me, if I eat wholemeal let alone white bread. The other day it was 5.4 and shot up to over 11 two hours after eating.
Does anyone know if they offer something else or should I take my own food?
Thanks

You could just say "no thank you" to whatever food they offer surely?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could just say "no thank you" to whatever food they offer surely?

I need my experience, a requirement for discharge, when I was last in as a day case, was that one had to have eaten and drunk, and passed urine.

Obviously one could simply discharge onself, but if one isn't feeling ones best, a negotiation or discussionprobably doesn't appeal.

Personally, I ate the (vile) sandwich, but if I had to repeat the process, I'd take a little easy picnic with me.

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should have also said, any suggestions of what to take that obviously is not fresh food that will sit for hours. Thanks

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Take in a couple of hard-boiled eggs, Gurkins, nuts baby bell cheese etc. You can buy a couple of Ice packs to go into a lunch bag which will keep the food fresh for hours.

Reactions: Thecrazy_1