LCHF without ketosis - Beneficial?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no intention of speaking for @Robbity , but it is sometimes said we regulate our carbs to please the blood glucose meter, and our fats to please the bathroom scales. That's makes a fair bit of sense as a simple explanation.

LOL !!! And when the machines are pleased, we are pleased! Any resulting celebration could displease man pr machine!!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no intention of speaking for @Robbity , but it is sometimes said we regulate our carbs to please the blood glucose meter, and our fats to please the bathroom scales. That's makes a fair bit of sense as a simple explanation.
Okay. I am trying to lose weight too. So that’s useful to know.

Reactions: Shas3

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I
So @Robbity you are saying that you can regulate your weight with your levels of fat intake?

And puts it very nicely and neatly!

But for a long winded explanation, I'm essentially saying that, as I understand it, that's how our bodies work.

Out of carbs, protein and fats, we use protein for body maintenance and repair, and the other two for fuel.
So. with low carbing you're keeping your carbohydrate intake low and steady to regulate your glucose levels, and the rest of your fuel for energy comes from either dietary or body fats: if you eat less fat than you need, you'll burn off stored/body fat to make up the deficit, if you have the balance about right you're using just the dietary fat and your weight will be more or less stable, and if you eat more fat than you need then it gets saved for later and you'll (eventually!) put on weight.

Robbity

Reactions: Shas3 and Listlad

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So. with low carbing you're keeping your carbohydrate intake low and steady to regulate your glucose levels, and the rest of your fuel for energy comes from either dietary or body fats: if you eat less fat than you need, you'll burn off stored/body fat to make up the deficit
True to an extent but if your insulin levels are still being elevated by the carb intake then its more difficult to access the body fat..
I think that's why cutting carbs to an absolute minimum is the best therapy as you start to access fat stores sooner rather than continually restocking glucose stores by over-carbing..Fasting and ultra low carb is the optimum way to start to access those fat stores and is the main reason why people who do that seem to get the best results and fastest weight loss.
Well that's my theory which seems fairly well backed up by anecdote..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
True to an extent but if your insulin levels are still being elevated by the carb intake then its more difficult to access the body fat..
I think that's why cutting carbs to an absolute minimum is the best therapy as you start to access fat stores sooner rather than continually restocking glucose stores by over-carbing..Fasting and ultra low carb is the optimum way to start to access those fat stores and is the main reason why people who do that seem to get the best results and fastest weight loss.
Well that's my theory which seems fairly well backed up by anecdote..
And for those that seek a more gradual drop in weight?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any of the other less effective therapies I guess... but who wants to prolong the agony and possible damage?
We don’t need to go into any reasons. It might just suit any one of us to take a more gradual tack. Less haste more speed. LCHF isn’t a race (or is it?).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost the majority of my weight fairly quickly and without actually realising it was dropping, and much of this loss would have been after I'd simply cut right down on all high carb foods; I did reduce my carbs right down to 20-25g a day for a couple of weeks as per Atkins recommendations to ensure I was actually in ketosis but at that point I was eating 3 meals a day, and not particularly high fat.

I believe that since I'd never stopped eating full fat foods i possibly didn't have much issue in returning to accessing stored fats again.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not that terrible to eat possibly but even the "sustainable" tag can be quite misleading.. I simply try to avoid things that aren't in their natural state i.e. I'd make my own peanut butter if I wanted it (although to be truthful I've always hated it anyway).
Absolutely no palm oil, for those that might be concerned about palm oil and sustainability issues. It does exactly what it says on the tin, er I mean the jar.
B1BF92AE-5F9A-40EF-934B-BCA8D21BA196.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And how many carbs?.. Aldi website has no nutritional info whatsoever..
Almond butter 4.4g per 100. I only eat in small amounts. I wouldn’t attempt 100grams in one go. :D
Peanut butter 9.6g per 100. Again I wouldn’t attempt to eat 100 grams in one go.

So realistically a low carb, tasty addition to a meal, and strong where palm oil sustainability is a big concern. :D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almond butter 4.4g per 100. I only eat in small amounts. I wouldn’t attempt 100grams in one go. :D
Peanut butter 9.6g per 100. Again I wouldn’t attempt to eat 100 grams in one go.

So realistically a low carb, tasty addition to a meal, and strong where palm oil sustainability is a big concern. :D
Personally wouldn't eat either but knock yourself out..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We don’t need to go into any reasons. It might just suit any one of us to take a more gradual tack. Less haste more speed. LCHF isn’t a race (or is it?).

Some of us don't /didn't have the luxury of time at diagnosis. When bg levels are in the mid and high teens then the choice to go very low carb in an effort to bring things back from the brink is of the utmost urgency to avoid damage or possibly to avoid DKA. Members report A1c's of well over 100, we are not all lucky enough to be diagnosed at Pre D or low T2 levels.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

No it shouldn't be - not every one has the same stating point or the same degree of diabetes. But it may well be a race against time for those with severe diabetes, but not necessarily for those with pre-diabetes.- and certainly not a race against each other .

IMO the most important thing is to set yourself dietary, glucose, weight, and whatever other targets that are achievable for you and that you're going to be able to maintain long term.

It's sometimes hard not to be challenged by what other peope achieve, but they're not us and their targets and abilities and certainly their diabetes will differ. I originally set achievable and moveable glucose level targets on my meter, to give myself something to aim for without feeling pressured.

Robbity

Reactions: Fit725 and Shas3

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No it shouldn't be - not every one has the same stating point or the same degree of diabetes. But it may well be a race against time for those with severe diabetes, but not necessarily for those with pre-diabetes.- and certainly not a race against each other .

IMO the most important thing is to set yourself dietary, glucose, weight, and whatever other targets that are achievable for you and that you're going to be able to maintain long term.

It's sometimes hard not to be challenged by what other peope achieve, but they're not us and their targets and abilities and certainly their diabetes will differ. I originally set achievable and moveable glucose level targets on my meter, to give myself something to aim for without feeling pressured.

Robbity
Totally agree.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing lchf keto since last November , i have no idea if i am in ketosis but i too have lost weight although i feel it has stopped now. I have never counted fat protein or carbs, i just eat green veg meat of all types and strawberries blueberries eggs etc daily and the numbers are low on the meter. If i am hungry i crave double cream which i don't mind at all lol