Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, Today I stumbled across a brilliant tiny carrying case for needles when out n about, my 2yr old granddaughter came today eating a kinder chocolate egg, the case the toy is inside it is perfect to pop 2,3,4, new/ used needles in and closes safely n can be put in ladies handbag or a gents pocket rather than lugging round a bigger item to store needles in , till you get back home n transfer to a sharps bin. Mine is in my handbag now ready for when I go on the move later. Hope this small gem [idea] helps ? Anna.x :)

ClaireG 06

Good idea Anna :D I'm using an empty test strip pot at the moment. Am going to the inlaws tomorrow so will be doing my evening injection away from home for the first time.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a neat idea.
One thing that many don't seem to be aware of is the BD Safe-Clip.
It is a little bigger than a gas lighter and you can clip the needles so they are completely safe.
I actually asked my Dr about it when I was diagnosed since I had a friend many years ago that was diabetic and I remember he had this matchbox type gadget. It was actually the DSN that found the details.

I do like the Kinder Egg idea though.

Nice one Anna!

Margi

Crumbs! I liked those old safeclips. They brought those out when they introduced the plastic syringes with fixed needles, so you could just clip off the needle and put the syringe in the ordinary waste bin. They seem to have gone out of fashion now we have pens. I guess the pen needles still have the sharp bit inside the screwy bit, and that can't be clipped off. Not so easy to get at it and stab yourself though.

I don't have a problem with needle disposal when out: I don't change the things until they go 'ouch!' Bad girl me. I do keep my pen in its box though and that has slots for needles, so you can just put the used one back in a slot and chuck it in the sharps bin at home. Now I have to be good and tell you that you really should change your needles every time, and I'm really naughty that I don't. Now that would make an interesting survey. I wonder how often most of us change our needles? I think I'll start a thread to find out. :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
When I've been away, I used a small juice bottle to store my used stuff in until I got home and then tipped it all into the sharps bin.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HLW said:
The clipped needle stub is still clinical waste, and must be disposed of in a sharps bin. See here: http://www.bd.com/uk/diabetes/page.aspx ... 3&id=31358
So I don't really see the purpose of this device!

Hi HLW, yes I agree with you but I have found that I sometimes get some needles where the cap doesn't stay on properly after use and have had them come out and my pocket and stick me in the leg again. This stops that and just makes it a little safer still.

Of course te legal side depends on the country you are in. Certain (significant) parts of southern africa you are told to simply bin your used tips. When I travel I prefer to take a sharps bin but the clips are still useful but sometimes space contraints prevent this.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More excuses to eat a Kinder Egg....love 'em!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Use something that we've all got lying around... An old strip pot! Snap's shut, and no chance of it opening...

I also use an old strip pot to hold my used strips before bining them.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
ClaireG 06 said:
Snap Patch!
Hiya, :lol: :lol: :lol: like it.... Anna.x :)