Don't think Keto is for me

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you did keto before how did you fare? If the sweetener checks don’t yield results I’d suggest a sudden increase in fats as the culprit. A slow gradual increase works better for many of us allowing our body to step up bile production to match.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you did keto before how did you fare? If the sweetener checks don’t yield results I’d suggest a sudden increase in fats as the culprit. A slow gradual increase works better for many of us allowing our body to step up bile production to match.
Same as now, I stopped keto while I was ill and the tummy troubles stopped, but I upped my carbs and went back to diet coke so still no telling if it's the sweeteners or fat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to avoid aspartame for that very reason - You could try using gelatine, made up double strength a little flavouring either from a bottle or blended berries, then whisk in yogurt - soy or quark seem fine, as that is far gentler.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi bulkbiker
I'm only prediabetic and am trying hard to avoid becoming t2 hence the keto. I'm not on any meds for it.
It's most things to be honest, I'm thinking it's the higher fat content as I've got colitis (not ulcerative). Today I've been on a fast and it still happens, all I've drunk is low sugar squash as I can't drink plain water. Yesterday all I had was scrambled eggs and it happened.

Fats will make you dash for sure, if you eat enough of them. They make a good laxative according to my partner who eats lots of meat fats (homemade lard) and sometimes has a bit too much olive oil on his salads. I've also found that my b movements were surprisingly not too bad even on low carb because I was eating generous amounts of fat. I don't count the amount but I think if you eat as much fat as you feel like (less on those days if it doesn't appeal), and eat more vegetables instead, you might find you can still stay fairly low carb. Or try having a small amount of carbs with each meal, which is the standard recommendation, but I think if you have impaired fasting glucose, it may not get the chance to correct itself if your body has a ready supply of carbs. Tricky having colitis to deal with on top of everything. How much do grains affect colitis? I haven't done much reading about colitis but a quick glance at one of the first webpages I could find, it seems to say that higher fibre may cause you more grief https://www.crohnsandcolitis.com.au.../living-with-inflammatory-bowel-disease/diet/

Let us know how you go with whatever you change in your eating!

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
And there was me planning a nice Ruby Murray tonight........LOL

Reactions: AngiH

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use sweetners to help counter being bunged up on my low carb diet arrangement. It seems to work. I seem to have found a working balance there.

Keto is not for me...at the moment. If I need to I will go for it. In the meantime reduced carb higher fat is working. I am gradually losing weight too, albeit slowly.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Have you ever tried almond milk. I drink a litre or so a day just to make a change from water. Very very low carb in some brands - the asda own brand at the mo is 75 p per litre and is 0.5 carb -

Re the sweeteners - I was a big fan of sugar free gum until I found it affected me in the way you describe

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Keto seems a bit drastic to me at this point in my journey although it is something I'd consider when my current regime of what I call 'trimfast' stops showing improvement......'trimfast' meaning basically cutting back on everything bit by bit I.e

a) smoking
b) alcohol
c) food intake.....simple things like smaller plates
d) more fresh/less processed
e) walk more, perhaps take up swimming when back home
f) minimum 10 hrs fasting block at night
g) replace sugar with Canderel sweetener

'Trimfast' also means trying to eat healthier stuff.....Brown breads instead of white, more veg less potatoes etc

Basically my lifestyle was s-o-o-o awful that other people's normality will probably enable improvements for at least a year!!!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
My wife tried the same diet as me and had the same effects as you, sudden and very urgent dashes. She (non d) now eats low carb. Purely sympathetic to me and she feels better for it. Probably under 100g a day sometimes a lot less. Depends.

Me? I did find keto got me going but it settled when I got the fats right.
I can literally regulate my 'movement' by the amount of fat I consume.
Now I have a regular pattern, certainly not constipated but no dash either, within an hour of my morning brew guaranteed.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi bulkbiker
I'm only prediabetic and am trying hard to avoid becoming t2 hence the keto. I'm not on any meds for it.
It's most things to be honest, I'm thinking it's the higher fat content as I've got colitis (not ulcerative). Today I've been on a fast and it still happens, all I've drunk is low sugar squash as I can't drink plain water. Yesterday all I had was scrambled eggs and it happened.

I can’t tolerate sweeteners. I don’t get the dash immediately but it seems to really play havoc with my IBS.

In Jan I thought I had stomach bug then it dawned on me I was drinking a lot of sugar free juice.

I had been feeling full down there and just generally uncomfortable.

Symptoms disappeared really quickly once I stopped drinking it. Not had any since

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to avoid aspartame for that very reason - You could try using gelatine, made up double strength a little flavouring either from a bottle or blended berries, then whisk in yogurt - soy or quark seem fine, as that is far gentler.
I've had plain water today and managed ok. It's only getting used to it just as I got used to the squash when I dropped the diet coke. I've skipped buying the jelly too so time will tell.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fats will make you dash for sure, if you eat enough of them. They make a good laxative according to my partner who eats lots of meat fats (homemade lard) and sometimes has a bit too much olive oil on his salads. I've also found that my b movements were surprisingly not too bad even on low carb because I was eating generous amounts of fat. I don't count the amount but I think if you eat as much fat as you feel like (less on those days if it doesn't appeal), and eat more vegetables instead, you might find you can still stay fairly low carb. Or try having a small amount of carbs with each meal, which is the standard recommendation, but I think if you have impaired fasting glucose, it may not get the chance to correct itself if your body has a ready supply of carbs. Tricky having colitis to deal with on top of everything. How much do grains affect colitis? I haven't done much reading about colitis but a quick glance at one of the first webpages I could find, it seems to say that higher fibre may cause you more grief https://www.crohnsandcolitis.com.au.../living-with-inflammatory-bowel-disease/diet/

Let us know how you go with whatever you change in your eating!
Thank you, I'm thinking it's probably a bit of both and will take time to find the right path for me...

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all. I've dropped the juice for plain water, and I've coped ok. I did a fast until 3pm from 8pm last night then had sausage, bacon, eggs and a few beans (I'm ok with them) and no dash to the loo. I'm thinking sweeteners is more likely...
Think I'm still edging towards ketosis at the mo as I've lost my hunger like I did before. Fingers crossed it stays this way and as long as I stay clear from sweeteners I'll be able to stick to keto or very low carb thank you all again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all. I've dropped the juice for plain water, and I've coped ok. I did a fast until 3pm from 8pm last night then had sausage, bacon, eggs and a few beans (I'm ok with them) and no dash to the loo. I'm thinking sweeteners is more likely...
Think I'm still edging towards ketosis at the mo as I've lost my hunger like I did before. Fingers crossed it stays this way and as long as I stay clear from sweeteners I'll be able to stick to keto or very low carb thank you all again.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.. fingers crossed the sweeteners were the problem.

West335

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low sugar usually contains artificial sweeteners, sweeteners are terrible for the stomach! As others have said though these diet/low sugar/zero sugar drinks still effect some peoples BG. I used to love pepsi max but when I actually saw how much it affected my results I stopped drinking it. Maybe invest in a BG meter so you can see what you're sensitive to?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hows it going today?