Don't think Keto is for me

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I've been on keto since January this year and at first I was doing so well, but had a set back in my health for a while and relaxed my eating. I've now got back on the keto diet since Monday but I'm not sure my body tolerates it. I can't handle the mad toilet dash...with absolutely no warning. Sorry for TMI! It happens even when I'm fasting and it's been like it since I started in Jan.
I'm thinking I need to step back and just do a low to moderate carb, but will this still work for my bg levels and weight loss. I need to find what works as it's a lifestyle change not a short term fad diet.
How low carb should I go for the continued weight loss. I'm currently at 30g a day.
I'm getting so frustrated with myself reading into things and getting confused on the right path. I've even considered weight watchers again, but deep down I enjoy the feeling on keto as I look leaner even though I weigh more if that makes sense.....so mixed up right now.
Sorry for the long post.
Thank you as always.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You taking any meds?
What are you eating when you get the "dash"?

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You taking any meds?
What are you eating when you get the "dash"?
Hi bulkbiker
I'm only prediabetic and am trying hard to avoid becoming t2 hence the keto. I'm not on any meds for it.
It's most things to be honest, I'm thinking it's the higher fat content as I've got colitis (not ulcerative). Today I've been on a fast and it still happens, all I've drunk is low sugar squash as I can't drink plain water. Yesterday all I had was scrambled eggs and it happened.

Reactions: pjayem1964

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with BB, some people are very sensitive when it comes to sweeteners. LCHF/Keto tends to have the opposite effects to sweeteners (temporarily, anyway).

Reactions: OrsonKartt

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I've been on keto since January this year and at first I was doing so well, but had a set back in my health for a while and relaxed my eating. I've now got back on the keto diet since Monday but I'm not sure my body tolerates it. I can't handle the mad toilet dash...with absolutely no warning. Sorry for TMI! It happens even when I'm fasting and it's been like it since I started in Jan.
I'm thinking I need to step back and just do a low to moderate carb, but will this still work for my bg levels and weight loss. I need to find what works as it's a lifestyle change not a short term fad diet.
How low carb should I go for the continued weight loss. I'm currently at 30g a day.
I'm getting so frustrated with myself reading into things and getting confused on the right path. I've even considered weight watchers again, but deep down I enjoy the feeling on keto as I look leaner even though I weigh more if that makes sense.....so mixed up right now.
Sorry for the long post.
Thank you as always.
Hi @AngiH really sorry to hear this. Why not do an experiment upping your carbs a bit at a time to see both what you can tolerate bg wise according to your meter and also see how your digestion goes. Remember though that if you up your carbs but want to carry on losing weight you’ll need to lower your fats at same time both would put weight on! We are all individual and you need to work out what works for you and moderate carbs maybe more you? I know that for example @Rachox stays below 50g of carb whereas I stick mainly below20g going up to maxof 30 at times but my body is happy with this so it works for me. Think higher carbers probably have less fat in their dietsthan I but I’m also working at maintaining whereas you want to lose more........hope this helps you - you need to experiment I think. Hugs M x

Reactions: trick60 and AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm guessing that could be the culprit? Any sweeteners other than "low sugar"?
Ah I didn't even think of that. It's the only thing I have with sweetner. I used to drink diet coke all day and stopped once I started keto.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with BB, some people are very sensitive when it comes to sweeteners. LCHF/Keto tends to have the opposite effects to sweeteners (temporarily, anyway).
It makes sense, as before I started this I only drank diet coke, no water, no squash or anything...so thought I was being good swapping the coke for squash. I'm drinking at least 1.5 litre these last few days too

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AngiH really sorry to hear this. Why not do an experiment upping your carbs a bit at a time to see both what you can tolerate bg wise according to your meter and also see how your digestion goes. Remember though that if you up your carbs but want to carry on losing weight you’ll need to lower your fats at same time both would put weight on! We are all individual and you need to work out what works for you and moderate carbs maybe more you? I know that for example @Rachox stays below 50g of carb whereas I stick mainly below20g going up to maxof 30 at times but my body is happy with this so it works for me. Think higher carbers probably have less fat in their dietsthan I but I’m also working at maintaining whereas you want to lose more........hope this helps you - you need to experiment I think. Hugs M x
Thank you Shelley, I think I'll start checking my bg levels more again before and after meals. I've only been doing 3 times a day as I've been pretty stable and also eating only what I know is ok. Think upping carbs very slightly and lowering fat is worth a try.

Reactions: jjraak

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try replacing the squash with lemon water. Bottle of cold water, still or sparkling, with the juice of half a fresh lemon.
I'll give this a try too Jim as I do love the way my body feels on keto...even with lots of weight still to loose. Thank you.

Reactions: jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It makes sense, as before I started this I only drank diet coke, no water, no squash or anything...so thought I was being good swapping the coke for squash. I'm drinking at least 1.5 litre these last few days too

Some people are ok with one type of sweetener but not another. This would be easy enough to solve, try having no sweetener for a time and see if things clear up and if you want to be really sure then reintroduce the same squash to see what happens. We live and learn (and experiment :)).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can’t face just water all day (I can’t either), then there are a few options that have minimal additives. Check the labels on everything, of course ;)

I find most sweeteners either taste foul or stop me sleeping, while other ppl find they cause gut problems. I do OK on herb teas, and the new cold herb tea ‘infusions’ that effectively make fruit flavoured water. The ones i buy are Twinings, and 0 carb/100ml. Only ‘natural’ ingredients, they say.

Alternatively, homemade lemonade is astonishingly easy, and you can make it with fizzy water if you like. Or cucumber water.

I confess, if i could tolerate the normal ‘low cal’ ‘no sugar’ squash options I would drink them all day. But I can’t. So needs must! Plain water is OK, but if I only have that available, I drink quite a bit less than I should. Flavoured drinks as well make me interested enough to drink enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak and AngiH

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AngiH - When you do the dash to the small room, are the outputs very acrid/bitter smelling?

(Sorry!)

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, I think the sweeteners could be the issue. I'm going to see what I can get, as I'm very aware fluid intake is important on keto. I'm going to try my hardest with just plain water for a few days and see what happens. Thanks for your suggestions

Reactions: Member496333

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AngiH - When you do the dash to the small room, are the outputs very acrid/bitter smelling?

(Sorry!)
Weirdly most times there is no real bad smell, although yesterday there was. all I can say is it's basically like a tap and yellow, no pain or cramping...again apologies people for TMI

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just realised I also eat no added sugar/sugar free jelly most evenings

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just realised I also eat no added sugar/sugar free jelly most evenings

It may be a different sweetener, check the ingredients labels on both suspects.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weirdly most times there is no real bad smell, although yesterday there was. all I can say is it's basically like a tap and yellow, no pain or cramping...again apologies people for TMI

Errm,........ does it make a slick on the loo water? Steatorrhea could be worth looking up.