Carb hangover

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
As I’ve written before my appetite has dropped significantly since dropping the level of carbs again.

Yesterday met up with some friends and went for lunch. I always struggle because I’ve never managed to know what to eat because there is nothing without carbs.

So had burger and chips. Included as much fat as possible, and to be honest, struggled to eat it because I was full so quick, but at £16 that meal was nearing eaten.

Couple hours later, walking back to car, thought ooh I could get sweets. Promptly told myself off and continued walking. Sugars were 9 so not good but not horrendous.

Got home and still stuffed. All good.

Then got munchies, which was weird because I wasn’t really hungry.

Ended up having 2 chicken grills and beans and now, 2 hours later was a 12.1 very not good.

This morning woke up (forgot to do sugars) but my appetite is out of control. I think I’ve eaten more in three hours than I have all week.

I’m avoiding carbs but eating chicken grills (low carb) sausages etc. Not hungry but just want to eat eat eat.
I’m assuming my body actually just wants carbs which is why it’s not having it.

Think this is the first time I’ve noticed just how different things are.

I’ve gone seemingly overnight, from not really wanting to eat even when starving to being full and just not wanting to stop!!

Think I need someone to knock me out with a hammer and let me wake up tomorrow!!

Luckily I don’t have much carby stuff here but dear lord today is going to be tough.

I have more grills in the oven.

Bring on tomorrow when hopefully things return to not wanting to eat. It was quite nice.

I guess it’s good that I’m noticing the differences.

But I just can’t stop eating!!

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a day like that a couple of weeks ago.
I figured my body was telling me something so did what you are doing and stayed low carb and ate. The following day I wasn't hungry and suspect that it all balanced out in the end and I had probably not eaten enough in the previous few days so my body made me eat.

Reactions: Shas3

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I had a day like that a couple of weeks ago.
I figured my body was telling me something so did what you are doing and stayed low carb and ate. The following day I wasn't hungry and suspect that it all balanced out in the end and I had probably not eaten enough in the previous few days so my body made me eat.

That’s what I’m hoping.
Did just have a sachet of hot choc and things have settled so need to be careful not to have too many of those today.

Fingers crossed it goes back tomorrow. Actually today. Or I’ll have eaten all my food for the week in one day

Reactions: Shas3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday met up with some friends and went for lunch. I always struggle because I’ve never managed to know what to eat because there is nothing without carbs.

So had burger and chips. Included as much fat as possible, and to be honest, struggled to eat it because I was full so quick, but at £16 that meal was nearing eaten.
Next time you could order 2 burgers with all the sauces, bacon, cheese and stuff but without the bun and the chips. That way you'll have the good of going out for lunch with friends but without the hangover!

Hope things will settle again quickly for you!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Next time you could order 2 burgers with all the sauces, bacon, cheese and stuff but without the bun and the chips. That way you'll have the good of going out for lunch with friends but without the hangover!

Hope things will settle again quickly for you!

Not sure they would have worked that out.
I said salad but no lettuce on burger and got nothing. So not sure complicating it would have have given me anything

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
As I’ve written before my appetite has dropped significantly since dropping the level of carbs again.

Couple hours later, walking back to car, thought ooh I could get sweets. Promptly told myself off and continued walking. Sugars were 9 so not good but not horrendous.

Got home and still stuffed. All good.

Then got munchies, which was weird because I wasn’t really hungry.

Ended up having 2 chicken grills and beans and now, 2 hours later was a 12.1 very not good.

This morning woke up (forgot to do sugars) but my appetite is out of control. I think I’ve eaten more in three hours than I have all week.

I’m avoiding carbs but eating chicken grills (low carb) sausages etc. Not hungry but just want to eat eat eat.
I’m assuming my body actually just wants carbs which is why it’s not having it.

Think this is the first time I’ve noticed just how different things are.

I’ve gone seemingly overnight, from not really wanting to eat even when starving to being full and just not wanting to stop!!

Think I need someone to knock me out with a hammer and let me wake up tomorrow!!

Luckily I don’t have much carby stuff here but dear lord today is going to be tough.

I have more grills in the oven.

Bring on tomorrow when hopefully things return to not wanting to eat. It was quite nice.

I guess it’s good that I’m noticing the differences.

But I just can’t stop eating!!
Sodium level OK? My body normally screams for savoury if sodium is low

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sodium level OK? My body normally screams for savoury if sodium is low

Think so. Will all the chipolatas and chicken grills I’ve had today I’d say they were fine

But I’ll add some to dinner just in case

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana - I don't know where you ate, or what offerings there were on the menu, but these days quite a few places rcognise the term "naked burger" to mean the burger, but hold the bun. That generally results in additional salad and garnishes on the plate, probably so that the burger doesn't look lonely. :)

It's worth trying, and if the person taking the order hasn't hearrd of the hrrase, they'll probabpy wonder if it's you or them who has to take their clothes off!

But, I would speculate you're right that the increrased carb levels you ate have led to the cravings.

Tomorrow's a whole new day.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have thought of carbs as being Pringles, 'Once you pop you can't stop!'

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find burgers the easiest to "restructure" - "can I have the burger no bun no fries - extra salad and sauce on the side - thank you"

If It comes in the bun just ditch it - just because it's on your plate doesn't mean you have to eat it :) I had a lovely fruits de mere lunch in a bistro yesterday, salmon 3 different ways, prawns, trout, mackerel, crisp salad with crusty bread on the side - hubby forgot to say no bread so when it came I just put the bread in a napkin and gave it back to the waiter

*edited to correct auto correct :banghead:

Reactions: Guzzler

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I find burgers the easiest to "restructure" - "can I have the burger no bun no fries - extra salad and sauce on the side - thank you"

If It comes in the bun just ditch it - just because it's on your plate doesn't mean you have to eat it :) I had a lovely fruits de mere lunch in a bistro yesterday, salmon 3 different ways, prawns, trout, mackerel, crisp salad with crusty bread on the side - hubby forgot to say no bread so when it came I just put the bread in a napkin and gave it back to the waiter

*edited to correct auto correct :banghead:

Yea I can do that but I find they still charge you the same but you don’t get anything to replace the bread. So I get stuck with a burger on a plate with but of tomato.

Looks woefully miserable and makes me feel that.

I just tend to eat but am careful rest of the day etc.(usually)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yea I can do that but I find they still charge you the same but you don’t get anything to replace the bread. So I get stuck with a burger on a plate with but of tomato.

Think of it in terms of the cost to your health not the cost to your pocket. What is the nutritional value of that bun? Just about nowt.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Think of it in terms of the cost to your health not the cost to your pocket. What is the nutritional value of that bun? Just about nowt.

I know.

It’s just so depressing and unenjoyable. Not not having the bread but just everyone around you is having lovely meals and you get a slab of meat.

I’ve started not wanting to go out because food is a nightmare when out.
People always comment and to be honest it annoys me that I can’t enjoy myself once in a while.

I guess you get used to it but food is just so stressful when out.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Apologies but I can't help but get a fit of the giggles when I read the thread name......I keep seeing CRAB hangover and have now got this image of a poor old hermit crab nursing his head with his massive claw after too many sea shanties LOL

Reactions: zauberflote

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Frustrating I agree and I hate it cost wise too but in reality the bun is a cheap item. I usually ask for them to “replace” the missing bun with extra (also cheap) lettuce/salad instead. Only once was I charged more for the extra salad. Occasionally the extra salad is miserly I admit. The same with wraps etc

Generally I’ll find a meal I like and ask them to swap out the carb element for extra of the veg or salad and to keep sauces on the side. It’s no big hassle as all the items I want are already there either on the plate already or certainly on the menu somewhere typically in the “sides” section. They never seem to object and mostly are very helpful.

I’d feel woefully miserable if I went ahead and ate the bun, got the spike and contributed a tiny bit more to complications but that’s just me.

Last edited:

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar day yesterday, but didn't have the excuse of meeting with friends - I just went to the supermarket, bought all my food and then... KFC is right next to it. So I had a zinger chicken sandwich, because... well, actuallly I don't know why. And three hours later... 12.7. It's like I know this happens...but occasionally wnat to test just to make sure :banghead:

And I was starving afterwards. So I had a a massive steak and cheesy cauliflower mash, and two hours after that was 7.4. And there's leftovers of steak and mash in anticipation of the munchies. I hate it when this happens. But I'm glad I made plans ahead this time....

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know.

It’s just so depressing and unenjoyable. Not not having the bread but just everyone around you is having lovely meals and you get a slab of meat.

People always comment and to be honest it annoys me that I can’t enjoy myself once in a while.

That feeling of missing out fades in time. The thing is, having gone ahead and eaten "normally" the other day, you were then faced with at least one seemingly miserable day workjing through the carb cravings.

Of course, it's totally up to you what you do and how you eat, but in my experience folks stop commenting when the new normal is established.

I told very few people I had been diagnosed; not because of any shame or guilt, but because I hate labels and didn't want to offer them one up. When I was asked why I wasn't having the bread/ or whatever, I just explained I'd had some blood tests and some of the things I'd been eating and drinking didn't seem to be doing me any favours, so I was giving them a miss for the time being. That "for the time being" has gone on for 5 years now, is just not even on the agenda.

People are more interested in their own meals and enjoying their own food. If ever asked why I don't have bread/rice/pasta, these days I just say they're the carriers for the deliciousness, and I choose to stick with the deliciousness (curry, ragu, burger, or whatever) instead.

As I say, more and more places are recognising people avoiding the likes of bread, and I'd say the burger option is usually one of the easier ones. Just go nekkid!

When diagnosed, I made a pact with my OH that my diagnoosis of T2 would never be a reason or excuse for not doing something. I feel I need to fit in with the wider world, rather than have expectations of anyone making big steps to accommodate me and my sometimes unusual approaches to things.

These days I'm also gluten-free, which adds in another veneer, but again I've mainly got used to that too.

M

Member496333

I know.

I used to feel this way also but, for me, it faded when I totally gave up sugars and grains as opposed to counting them. Now it doesn’t enter my head. I enjoy my food immensely, but if there isn’t anything I can eat when out socially, then I’ll go without and not feel in the least bit deprived. Couldn’t care less what other folk think. It’s my body and I only get the one.

Just my experience.

Reactions: lovinglife

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a refreshing experience when asking for my meal to be tailored last night. I asked if the halloumi fries were battered, then asked for no bun and no potato fries. The waiter then offered up some info about a few items in the burger that were battered/otherwise carby (didn't mention that on the menu) and offered me different choices about how the chef could cook them.

I was really pleasantly surprised. My plate ended up looking way better than everyone else's plate. Which doesn't happen often. I'm often left the classic wilted salad next to a meat slab, looking enviously at the bread and chips. So totally feel your pain about that. It can be depressing and difficult.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Yay!! So proud of myself. Met a friend in pub,

Tempted to have burger and chips (will I ever stop these temptations) but ended up having smothered chicken and chips with couple onion rings.

Ok so not good on the chips but wasn’t strong enough to say no (dam dam dam) oh and 2 pints of Diet Coke.

So very proud by the fact I didn’t have burger and chips so git rid of some badness!!

Only problem is now I’m buzzing as high as a kite due to Diet Coke

Don’t usually have caffeine and think this is first lot of Coke drink since xmas!!