Can a Type 1 run a marathon at 50?

Tummy

Hi,
I'm 48 and have been a Type 1 for 42 years now. No complications, healthy, good levels, no overweight, using pump and CGM.
A year ago I started running. I lost 18kg in one year and have recently finished my first 10K run. Never during these 4 decades of diabetes I had thought this to be possible for me. No wonder I was proud AF.
Now I got this crazy idea. What if I ran a marathon in 2020, when I turn 50? How high does that rank on the craziness scale? Can a type 1 think of running a marathon at the age of 50?
Does anybody have experience or realistic advice for someone like me?
Thank you!
Tummy

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I rowed full marathons (non-stop) on Concept II indoor rowing machines up to when I was about 54 and blew both my ankle tendons. Loved it! It was the ultra-marathon that did the real damage (100km). Shoulda stuck to the 26 milers.

No drawbacks as far as the diabetes was concerned. Just make sure you have glucotabs on hand.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,
I'm 48 and have been a Type 1 for 42 years now. No complications, healthy, good levels, no overweight, using pump and CGM.
A year ago I started running. I lost 18kg in one year and have recently finished my first 10K run. Never during these 4 decades of diabetes I had thought this to be possible for me. No wonder I was proud AF.
Now I got this crazy idea. What if I ran a marathon in 2020, when I turn 50? How high does that rank on the craziness scale? Can a type 1 think of running a marathon at the age of 50?
Thank you!
Tummy

Is that age 50 or 50 miles per hour ;):)
If you would like to do it, then go for it, as long as you have had adequate training for a marathon and have on hand provisions for the run.
Good luck :)

D

Deleted Account

I agree with the others. If you want to run a marathon, don’t let type 1 put you off. It is just another box on the preparation checklist.
If I want to run a marathon, my DSN would encourage me and put me in touch with people who can help. So I would encourage you to get your diabetes team onboard. You might as well take advantage of extra push.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tummy . Welcome to the forum.
Simple answer. Go for it.
You seem sensible enough to understand what’s involved with doing a marathon, obviously being T1 will mean more planning. After 42 yrs I guess you’ve got more than enough knowledge on how your body deals with stress and exercise. Cover and prepare for all eventualities and there’s no reason why you won’t achieve it.
Personally I’m no runner, just can’t get the right mental focus for it. A couple of miles was my limit and then my mind wandered.
Get training:):):). There’s a fitness and exercise sub forum, maybe chart your progress on there alongside others who are doing their own challenges.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Absolutely go for it !!!

Tagging @Type1Bri who's now run 2 marathons and has kept a blog on it, he has lots of training and tips for running distances for type 1's also look at runsweet.com.

I run also, I do 3x 5kms a week which includes the park run, I use a pump and Dexcom G6 and did my 1st 10k last year but want to do more this year, not sure about a marathon though ! Try doing the Swansea half marathon in June, loads of type 1's do that, about 69 ran it last year and Diabetes UK want to break that record this year.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well, I'm nearly 44 and do half marathons. The reason I haven't done a full marathon yet is nothing to do with my type 1, it's because of the time it takes to train for it. Go for it; if you're motivated, you won't regret it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Before you do. Ask. What is it you are really trying to prove?
Did you gain medical clearance before you started running?
And if you choose to do a marathon will you be getting medical clearance before you start training, things like having complete eye, kidney, circulation and heart check?
The decision is yours!

D

Deleted Account

Why does a marathon have to be to prove anything.
What’s wrong with “because I want to”?

I get the advice for health checks but as the op is already running, many would assume he is healthy.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why does a marathon have to be to prove anything.
What’s wrong with “because I want to”?

I get the advice for health checks but as the op is already running, many would assume he is healthy.

I think the poster is making the point that the OP is really looking for a confidence boost rather than official medical opinion. You can do it OP! :)

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Asking why, what is he trying to prove is a legitimate question.
Long distance runners with long-term TID are at greater risk of certain health conditions as well as the usually
recognised risks for any runner.
Extreme events carry higher risks, so a medical check makes sense.
And thinking not only of themselves but family etc.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think the poster is making the point that the OP is really looking for a confidence boost rather than official medical opinion. You can do it OP! :)
i do not presume to read the op's mind and we are each entitled to an opinion and answer.

Reactions: Notorious

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I decided to do something and somebody asked me 'What I was trying to prove' because I had diabetes I would be livid. I am sure we all know that we have to take extra precautions before doing anything whether it be driving to the shops, walking to the train station or running a marathon. I have done several half marathons before and after getting type 1 and am 58. In answer to the Poster's question, YES YOU CAN but like any other person doing it for the first time, there is lots of training and preparation to be done. You are not ill (presuming your management is ok) , you have a condition. Like anybody starting exercise (extreme or not) for the first time, it may well be a good idea to discuss any underlying health issues with a Dr, as would someone with dodgy knees or high BP or whatever. Go for it. x

Reactions: kitedoc

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Thank you!
Tummy
You can absolutely run a marathon at 50 - everyone running a marathon will have to practice nutrition - you will need to do this and see how blood sugar behaves. You've plenty time to find out as well. Are you thinking a specific one?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If I decided to do something and somebody asked me 'What I was trying to prove' because I had diabetes I would be livid. I am sure we all know that we have to take extra precautions before doing anything whether it be driving to the shops, walking to the train station or running a marathon. I have done several half marathons before and after getting type 1 and am 58. In answer to the Poster's question, YES YOU CAN but like any other person doing it for the first time, there is lots of training and preparation to be done. You are not ill (presuming your management is ok) , you have a condition. Like anybody starting exercise (extreme or not) for the first time, it may well be a good idea to discuss any underlying health issues with a Dr, as would someone with dodgy knees or high BP or whatever. Go for it. x

My left knee has always been a bit of a problem, bending fine, getting back up again a little difficult at times. I am in awe of people who run a marathon whether they have diabetes or not.
I really wish I had ran a marathon years ago, just a small one to start with, I would like to prove to myself that I could do it, not to mention raising money for a charity.
ps I was hit by a Ice hockey puck in the middle part of 1980's, I was in the crowd with family as it was husband's ( then Ex) birthday. The pain was quite bad, but I played it down as lights were on me and the Canadian players kept asking if I was okay, did I need help ? I was embarrassed too and just wanted to hide away, not one for the spotlight, so knee suffered. .

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I got my endo consultant on board and she gave me very useful advice and encouragement. She also said that if I wanted her to, she'd recommend that I get a sports focussed DSN as my point of contact with the department, so that I had quick help with any problems.

I have to say, they were fantastic!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you gain medical clearance before you started running?
And if you choose to do a marathon will you be getting medical clearance before you start training, things like having complete eye, kidney, circulation and heart check?
The decision is yours!
Probably prove quite a lot- to yourself mainly. Exercise is wonderful and THE best medicine. My favourite kids film quote - if you always do what you can, you will never be more than you are. Don't hurt yourself or make yourself in happy, but challenge your limits - doesn't have to be much. If you fail - there's always next time.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't remember which twitter feed I read it on, but a careful observer noticed that the only runner to stop and help the bloke having trouble with his Big Ben costume in this year's London Marathon was wearing a JDRF tee-shirt!

a6f207535cc55003c1a497ab957c7a73.png