EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Interesting, I actually had never heard this. I have always taken insulin on a carb based scale after doctors failed to ever get my sugars under control with whatever random dosages they were giving me. But I am only very recently going super low carb.

I've got to ask, given that 38% of adult diagnosed T1s in the UK were originally misdiagnosed as T2, how confident are you that you're actually T2 rather than T1? Did they test your insulin or antibody production when you were diagnosed or just assume T2?

dennisdengle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hit this problem shortly after I started using the Freestyle Libre and miaomiao transmitter and had the first chance to see in real time what was happening with my blood sugar. I got up in the morning and was rushed and did not have time to eat at all. I grabbed a bottle of Pure Black Unsweetened Tea. I started with reading around 80. After drinking must of the bottle I noticed my readings were riding quickly. Because they were riding I didn't eat anything until 3:00 in the afternoon and my reading finally finished at 160. I thought I was losing mind. I did some research on the internet for anything that causes the readings to rise withot eating and found one thing that could explain it. Some diabetics have a reaction to caffeine - an increase of insulin resistence that prevents glucose from being taken into the cells, that looks like a spike in blood sugar. Since that day I no longer use caffeine. That Black Unsweetened was 84 mg of caffeine. Check how much caffeine was in that Mountain Dew. Good luck

Reactions: Brunneria

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Protein raises my bgs too. So the nac is to get your carb and protein ratio right for your insulin.
Then reduce insulin (under medical guidance) and protein and carbs too.

Are you looking for weight loss from low carb eating?
It's more complicated if on insulin but not impossible.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
From what I have seen people say, some of the old, cheaper "inslins" have a responce curve that better muchs low carb high protein than moden super fast inslins.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
From what I have seen people say, some of the old, cheaper "inslins" have a responce curve that better muchs low carb high protein than moden super fast inslins.
That could be true as on mixed M3humulin insulin I had less bounce back from eating proteins.
If I still need both insulins still after surgery I will be asking for mixed one back as triple strength basal gives huge water retention just as much as high doses of mixed insulin. Obviously less body weight and food then less units to inject. I stormed weight loss on M3 insulin.