how much meat?

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nowadays, it seems that many are becoming more and more focused on eating a plant-based diet and leaving out animal products. But indulging in a daily burger or steak can’t be that bad for you, right? Especially since those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet can be at risk for missing out on these nutrients. Unfortunately for meat lovers, a new study has found a link between how much meat a person eats and an increased risk of premature death.

According to research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people who ate more red meat, processed meat, or simply got more animal protein than plant-based protein in their diet had a higher chance of dying from a chronic disease. The new research looked at data from the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study, an ongoing study that’s tracking risk factors for cardiovascular disease among middle-aged men from eastern Finland—a population that ranks among the highest rates of heart disease in Europe. The study population was made up of 2,641 Finnish men who were between the ages of 42 and 60 when the study began between 1984 and 1989.

Researchers followed up with the men after 20 years—1,225 of them had died. Those who ate seven ounces or more of red or processed meat daily—or got the majority of their protein from meat—had a 23 percent higher risk of premature death, reports ScienceDaily. However, not all animal protein was linked to the mortality risk: men who got their protein via eggs, fish, or dairy avoided the risk; of course, men who ate more plant protein than meat tended to outlive meat eaters. This isn’t the first strike against red or processed meat: Red or processed meat can increase your chances of getting this disease, too.

While this study can only reveal a link between meat consumption and early death, most research is pretty clear that eating more plant protein and cutting back on red and processed meat will be easier on your heart and your waistline. The Canadian Cancer Society recommends limiting yourself to no more than three servings (3 oz/serving) of red meat per week. You might want to try getting your protein from these healthy plant-based foods instead.

The post Eating This Much Meat a Day Could Seriously Shorten Your Lifespan appeared first on Best Health Magazine Canada.

D

Deleted member 308541

I eat about 750 grams of meat and bacon a day, I enjoy every bit of it.

I will take my chances with my heart when I see my cardiologist next Friday week. :D

Reactions: porl69 and kokhongw

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Red meat does not shorten the lifespan. Please use the search function as these studies have been discussed widely on the forum. Most of these studies are based on food questionaires and have some confounders.
The problem with plant protein is quantity and bioavailability.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Absolute tripe .... :banghead:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Red meat does not shorten the lifespan. Please use the search function as these studies have been discussed widely on the forum. Most of these studies are based on food questionaires and have some confounders.
The problem with plant protein is quantity and bioavailability.

Yep, lots of questionaire stuff... We all know how accurate that data is, and the same study being linked to about 3 times in those links that were posted.

Total focus on red meat consumption, bet they either didn't look at carbohydrate consumption or ignored it because it would get in the way of biased findings. Classic case of researchers knowing what the outcome would already be before starting and then applying methods they know will get that predetermined outcome. Which is why they can't "prove" anything.

Big difference between "linked to" and "causation."

Still, it makes for a good news headline, fear is a tactic that has a way of grabbing people's attention quickly.

Reactions: Mike d and Guzzler

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...the obsession with stopping the natural process of death is tiresome. The death of that terrible bit of ‘research’ would be very welcome.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
At last me and Mr_Pot agree on something ;)

Edit to add @Mr_Pot sorry I know we agree on many things I was just being flippant.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generalising wildly but it has been shown that some people who eat a lot of meat also may have lifestyles that are less conducive to better health. Eating a burger with a bun and fries will be counted towards meat consumption but ignore the bun and fries. Also quite a lot of smokers/drinkers eat red meat. This is where these skewed reports get their "red meat is bad" hysteria from. There are way too many confounders. Once you start to read the citations on meaty diets clearing up decades of mental health and general health problems you start to realise that foods that mankind has eaten for millennia are highly unlikely to be deleterious to our overall health. After that you have to start looking for the biases of the people who came up with the report in the first place.

Reactions: DianaMC and Freema
M

Member496333

Yeah sure, humans die of they eat what they’re made of. Makes complete evolutionary sense :shifty:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I can't stand tripe either. Disgusting rubbish, a can of dog food is more appealing

Reactions: JohnEGreen

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The new research looked at data from the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study, an ongoing study that’s tracking risk factors for cardiovascular disease among middle-aged men from eastern Finland—a population that ranks among the highest rates of heart disease in Europe.

Doesn't seem to take their drinking habits into account, or smoking. Does this study assume that eating is the only risk factor.

D

Deleted Account

Especially since those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet can be at risk for missing out on these nutrients.
I think the key word in this statement is "can". However, those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet can also consume these nutrients through other means.
I have no interest in a meat versus vegetable argument as I believe everyone is entitled to make their own choices based on their own research. And some have no choice - for some diet, whether it is carnivore, low carb, vegetarian, ... it something they have to adopt for medical, financial, availability reasons. But, as the popularity in vegetarian and vegan diets increase, as does the knowledge of how to avoid this risk.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't stand tripe either. Disgusting rubbish, a can of dog food is more appealing
But not this one....
PhotoPictureResizer_190515_095605246_crop_576x811.jpg

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Oh, thanks for that :) Makes me ill just looking at it @Mr_Pot

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tripe is delicious! I've only had it abroad, though, as it's difficult to prepare (not to mention find in this country!). French and Italian tripe dishes are yummy... :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father loved tripe but all I could taste was the vinegar that he put on it and I didn't like the texture .It was not long after the end of the war so I suppose meat was scarce and expensive
Carol

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sneaks in - sees they are still discussing tripe - legs it again..............