Big toe pain

trand

Hi all, Have had a look around can not find the answer, yesterday my big toe right foot felt as if I hada splinter in it or been bitten by an insect, on close examanation there was nothing at all there, all day I was taking my shoe off and looking as the pain was quite bad,, still nothing there, was still painful at bedtime, this morning it still felt sore but not the stinging sensation, had another good look , nothing there, now it feels sort of bruised, would this have anything to do with blood flow,? or was it just a body pain, so to speak

Reactions: NoSugarBabe

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, could you describe the pain a bit more ??? As it could be a bit of neuropathy yes poorer blood flow to the extremieties your toe... Neuropathy pain can vary in a range of feelings. Some persons describe it as electric shocks, burning, strong pins n needle type pain,hot stabbing n shooting pain. Or it may be calcium build up in big toe known as 'gout'? If its no better after weekend or gets worse to walk/weight bear with etc.. I would "hobble" up to see your GP and get a professional diagnosis. Hope this helps ? Anna.x :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
It doesnt sound like gout to me but being diabetic you can not rule out neuropaphy as Anna suggests but what you describe sounds exactly like sciatica to me, I get the needle in the big toe quite often and it is one of the worst pains ever, I find a re usable Boots own brand hot gel pack applied to the lower back eases my pain. If it is a sciatic type pain it can come on at any time and affect any part of the leg. I have it today in my thigh and the pain almost made me physically sick before I took 2 x DF118 40mg Codeine tablets and applied a gel pack, that was an hour ago and the pain is now manageable but still there. I have suffered this for perhaps 6 or 7 years and it pre-dates my diabetes which is how I can be sure it is not neuropathy.

Have you ever suffered a back problem as sciatic pain usually follows some sort of trauma to the lower back that leads to nerve damage or a trapped nerve.

Best bet is to see your doctor asap and get yourself checked out for diabetic neuropathy and other possible causes.

Good luck

trand

Hi, yes the pain was like a needle in my toe, Sid sounds about right though, having a bit of back pain last couple of days find the computor chair really bad, so opt for straight back dinning chair, as I said not so painful today but feels sort of bruised,

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Could be gout my first attack was very light ,like just stubbed my toe and place th Toe down on top of a drawing pin went after a week did not think anything of it :(

The second attack three weeks later was a whole other deal started in big toe then moved to ankle
up my leg to the knee , i could not walk or bear anything even bed sheets to placed anywhere near the foot Very Pain full

You doctor can do a blood test for gout

Gout is caused by a build-up of uric acid in the blood. Uric acid form crystals that force joints apart
ether way pop and see your GP
Nhs gout page
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gout/Pages/Introduction.aspx

[youtube]qZy3FjkVaSQ[/youtube]

jopar

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet..

You checked your toe, but did you check your shoes to see if there was anything in the shoes that your toe could be pressing on! A stray stone, bit of lose shoe or lining coming away, worn out.! something else might even dropped into the shoe!

Its good practice to check your footware for objects wear and tear of linings etc every time you put them on..

In our house, you be surprised what gets into shoes, mind you we do have two dogs so often find remians of a chewed ball, rawhide treat etc lerking in shoes!

trand

The pain was more to the side of the nail. if you can imagine the top of the toe .... it was to the right were the next toe is , there is no redness, or anything

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
bowell said:
Could be gout my first attack was very light ,like just stubbed my toe and place th Toe down on top of a drawing pin went after a week did not think anything of it :(

I stand corrected Bob, I never realised it started like that.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I only had Redness in my 2nd gout attack and all thereafter
The Meds keep it from coming back now (Allopurinol) I am tested for uric acid same time BG is done

Its not something simple like ingrowing toenail ? :shock:

No problem Sid
Just starts off in different ways normally in the Big Toe first

Bob

Jgos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
being dependent
Hi - I am new to this site - I have been type 1 for 17 years - I cycle alot but not enough - i also work in the broking markets - I get the same in the right toe ! pain beyond belief - but told that it was to do with my back and the nerves !! not sure - it comes and goes with bad sugars although my HBA1c is 6.8 !! have you tried Milk Thistle ?? Gos

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest contacting the surgery - maybe look at their website to see if there are any instructions about getting in touch and explain that it has been however many days with symptoms - maybe emphasising no improvement and ask for advice.
I'd advise keeping it short rather than a huge length as sometimes things can get lost or go unrecognised when there is too much information. It might be nothing serious, but after so long and no change it really should be flagged up.
You might be able to get a phone consultation, send a photo by email or other web wonder thing just to be sure.