Going to A&E - Reasons?

Knightrider

Just completed the survey. There was a question about number of visits to A&E in last 6 months. Which I wondered about. I have been diagnosed since 2000 and have never been to an A&E, never needed to. So wondered why, under what circumstances, for what reasons, people would do this?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a type 2 so much less likely to go to A&E but I was in a pub where a bloke seemed to go hypo and he passed out and there have been many people on this board who have been hyper or even suffering from ketoacidosis so it certainly happens

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just completed the survey. There was a question about number of visits to A&E in last 6 months. Which I wondered about. I have been diagnosed since 2000 and have never been to an A&E, never needed to. So wondered why, under what circumstances, for what reasons, people would do this?
Not sure which survey you are referring to but I would imagine that many T1's get to go to A&E due to excess insulin causing their blood sugars to go too low.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
It sounds so simple when you put it like that. The reality is that the amount of insulin I take today for a given amount of a particular food, if I do the exact same amount for the exact same amount of the same food tomorrow could have a completely different effect. It really is that random sometimes......

Most of the time it's fine, but if the weather is warm, or I am stressed etc etc - then the insulin may well react differently

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not sure which survey you are referring to but I would imagine that many T1's get to go to A&E due to excess insulin causing their blood sugars to go too low.

Don't forget too high too......DKA

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been to A&E twice for diabetes in my two decades of living with it - both times for DKA.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hypo's, hypers with ketoacidosis, they'll put a T1 in hospital right quick. T2's who don't use insulin don't usually have hypo's, and ketoacidosis is a T1 thing for the most part as well. So yeah... That could mean going to A&E on a regular basis. It just all depends on what type of diabetes you have, brittle or not, etc...

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Thankfully I've never been, except on diagnosis. I've been down at 1.2 but somehow my husband sorted it out and I got through it OK without needing an ambulance. Highs I can tell because I fall asleep when my blood gets up to about 13 - in the middle of a conversation, anywhere really. As soon as that happens I know why and can do the needful

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankfully I've never been, except on diagnosis. I've been down at 1.2 but somehow my husband sorted it out and I got through it OK without needing an ambulance. Highs I can tell because I fall asleep when my blood gets up to about 13 - in the middle of a conversation, anywhere really. As soon as that happens I know why and can do the needful
I do that falling asleep thing too! It's a rapid rise that gets me.

Only been to A&E on diagnosis for diabetes stuff.

Reactions: WuTwo
D

Deleted Account

I have had type 1 for 15 years. Had highs and lows but I have always been able to treat myself and never been to A&E for diabetes.
I would be interested to know how many people end up at A&E due to diabetes. My expectation based on people I have met with diabetes is the percentage would not be high enough to describe the number as "high"

Knightrider

Thanks folks - so no ambulances then. I'm lucky in that I have super awareness of low blood sugar. I can feel 3.4 and at 2.6 I know I'm hypo. Without testing I can pretty accurately say whether I'm 3.4, 3.0 or 2.6. At 2.6 still functioning but shaky, can't concentrate, vision a bit weird. If I get to 2.6, my 'magic number' it even wakes me up at night!! So I just chuck the requisites down my neck. I am very thankful it affects me in this way. I realise it isn't the same for many.

Reactions: Serena51 and porl69