Diabetes and Pancreatitis

JJ282

In 2014 I was admitted to hospital with Pancreatitis which resulted in me being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, this was managed with Metformin and Gliclazide which worked well. In 2016 my medication was changed to a different Metformin, Gliclazide and Linagliptin with no real explanation. In 2017/2018 I managed to get things under control with diet and my Gliclazide was stopped and Metformin reduced. In March this year I had the all too familiar symptoms of Pancreatitis and was taken into hospital again to ICU as I had Pancreatitis and Ketoacidosis and spent a week being very ill .... The cause was a mystery to them till the last day when the diabetic consultant came to see me and asked why was I on Linagliptin?! Turns out this was the cause of the Pancreatitis and I shouldn't of been on it despite taking it for 3years with no one picking up on it. I now have to manage my diabetes with insulin as my pancreas doesn't seem to be producing any anymore and Metformin. Has anyone had anything like this? People keep telling me I should raise a concern about this but I'm unsure any advice? Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this in drugs.com for Linagliptin

During clinical trials, pancreatitis was reported in 15.2 cases per 10,000 patient year exposure in patients receiving linagliptin compared with 3.7 cases per 10,000 patient year exposure in those receiving active comparator (sulfonylurea). Following completion of clinical trials, 3 additional cases of pancreatitis were reported among those receiving linagliptin. Postmarketing reports of acute pancreatitis, including fatalities, have been received.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/linagliptin-side-effects.html

It doesn't sound like a very nice drug to me.