BS not falling!!

jay10

I have previously lowcarbed and easily whilst having around 150g carbs a day had bs below 7. I have recently been quite lax with my carbs and after receiving a letter stating my eyes possibly have been effected it scared me into low carbing. Day two today and are sticking to around 60g carbs but bs are not falling like before example
fasting bs 13.9
breakfast of 2eggs and cheese +tea - 2 hours later 13.2
brazil nuts as snack + orange
thats all i have had today so far and bs is still 9.0
Does it take a while for the carbs to get out of your system?
I feel well, when I'm ill bs go mad so dont understand????????????

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Jay10

If that's the total food you've eaten today, you've probably not eaten enough! Your liver will be pumping out glucose in an effort to give you some energy, and pushing your levels up. That's not a biologically correct description, but it's basically what happens :lol:

Have a good-sized serving of meat and low-carb veg (as long as you can eat meat) or some cheese, and your BS should start to go down. Yes, it may take a couple of days. Don't get stressed about it - that sends it up again :roll:

If you're really going to low-carb for a while, have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins DIet, which is a sticky thread at the top of the Low-carb Diabetes Diet Forum. It's very easy, and it works. To get your carbs up a bit from the 20g - 25g of the basic diet, all you need to do is use your carb counter book and add a few extra from low-carb and low GI foods. All berry fruits are okay, also plums and apricots.

Today I've eaten a 2-egg omelette, a large chicken salad (lettuce, pepper, radish, tomato, lots of cold chicken and about a tablespoon of mayonnaise), I'm just going to have some strawberries and cream, and then I shall have a pork stir-fry at about 19:30. Probably about 30g of carb at most for the whole day. Just tested my bg level, and it's 4.7. Sorry, I'm not smug, just so pleased :p . And I'm losing weight!

Don't panic, eat a bit more low-carb food, and it will start to come down. Promise!

Viv 8)

canuck1950

With type 2, or type 1 plus insulin resistance, it takes a while for the liver to respond to carb restriction. It is the insulin resistance of the liver cells that generates the glucose that results in a high fasting number. Going really low on the carbs (< 20 g/day) should turn that number around. If there are meds or insulin involved one has to be very careful to avoid hypos.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
When I was first diagnosed, it took me 12 days of low-carbing to get my levels down from 24.4 mmol/l to less than 7 mmol/l, and an additional 3 days before it stayed there for any period of time. (by low carb I mean <30g a day, although in the first week or so I was struggling to work out exactly what a carb was).

canuck1950 said:
With type 2, or type 1 plus insulin resistance, it takes a while for the liver to respond to carb restriction. It is the insulin resistance of the liver cells that generates the glucose that results in a high fasting number. Going really low on the carbs (< 20 g/day) should turn that number around. If there are meds or insulin involved one has to be very careful to avoid hypos.

This is very interesting. One of the most frustrating things about being an NHS diagnosed diabetic is that you don't get much indication of what kind of T2 that you are; an insulin resistant one, a burnt out pancreas one, or a combination of both.

I guess that this probably means that I am a insulin resistant one...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Borofergie said:

This is very interesting. One of the most frustrating things about being an NHS diagnosed diabetic is that you don't get much indication of what kind of T2 that you are; an insulant resistant one, a burnt out pancreas one, or a combination of both.

I couldn't agree more, Borofergie! When I was first diagnosed and had done a bit of reading round, I asked if I could have a fasting insulin test for just that reason, but the answer was 'Why? The symptoms are the same!'

Well, yes, the symptoms are the same, but I reckon that if my pancreas is not failing yet, my chances of keeping all the complications at bay must be just that little bit better. If I take care of my pancreas now, maybe its insulin production will see me out!

I like to know these things - knowledge is power.

Viv 8)