Replacing infusion sets

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow - i am so glad I do not have a fear of blood!!!!

Put in my cannula earlier and first time ever it bled when inserting it!!! i'm pressuming this aint a problem as my sugars seem to be ok, but i will keep an eye on how...

however...

I'm sure i've been told / read this but is it normal to bleed when the cannula is taken out?!? I have taken out the cannula and there is blood everywhere now!!! again this is the first time ive seen blood when doing a cannula change :)

onlytwintip

Hi there,
I sometimes bleed as well when removing, never noticed any on insertion though. I bleed especially on the arm, did it the other day and it simply wouldn't stop! As you said, the "bleeding" never seems to effect the sugar levels so I just ignore it really...

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

It's perfectly normal to bleed when changing a cannula, theres lots of little blood vessels everywhere so it's likely to have a little.

Some people report what they call 'Gushers' which involve squirting blood when removing cannula's, i haven't experienced this, As you will know some people bleed easily than others, if you bleed well when glucose testing you'll probably bound to see more blood, especially in warmer weathers when your vessel's naturally move closer to the skin surface to maintain body temperature and to cool down.

Usually if i have one that bleeds alot more than usual i keep an eye on the site for a day or two. I recommend you do the same, if you notice it's red and sore and doesn't seem to be going down it's best to see your GP for some antibiotics to prevent any possible infection. I've also never had to do this either so i think it's quite rare.

Sometimes when inserting a cannula i will feel it's a sore spot and move somewhere else, in some cases i've already peirced the skin and it will bleed a little, sometimes it won't bleed at all. Make sure your not hesitating too much, going in at the right angle depending on your set too.

Sometimes if i pull the set out wrong i can sort of nick the skin which causes it to bleed a little.

Here i am nattering away again haha.

Best of luck :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:shock:

If you get one that bleeds a lot, what's the best way to stop it?

Due to do my first proper set change tomorrow morning...

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ended up with a disney princess plaster on my bum!!!

again something I think I may have read here but not sure... I have had low sugars since about 4 hours after putting in the new set... i think it's time to change my infusion site

iHs

LittleSue said:
:shock:

If you get one that bleeds a lot, what's the best way to stop it?

Due to do my first proper set change tomorrow morning...

I try to remember to have a piece of tissue paper handy when I take out a set. Very rarely I will bleed just a tiny bit but a piece of tissue over the hole for a few seconds usually stops it. I've not as yet had to use a plaster.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh OK. When I saw "gusher" and "squirting blood" I imagined having to scrub the walls... or the floor as I'm squeamish and would have to lie down :lol: Tissue or plasters I can cope with, I wondered if I'd be putting a pack of frozen peas on it or something.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Haha! sorry Sue! didn't mean to alarm you! you certainly won't have to redecorate afetr a set change! haha.

If it bleeds i use a bit of tissue or a cotton bud, just like a blood test, hold it there for a while until it stops bleeding, no problemo :)

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well after yesterday's fiasco with lots of blood (and YES i mean lots) and low blood sugars... I actually tried putting the cannula in my tummy again and so far it's not hurting me!!!!! plus my sugars have stabalised :)

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bah i was deluding myself :( first 18 hours fine no pain!!! since last night it's back to how it was before and killing me, so looks like it's back to my side :(