Anyone Diagnosed after gestational diabetes

Justme0811

Hi all, I have 3 children 11, 2 & 1 year old, i have had gestational diabetes with all. My doctors never followed up with the 8 weeks level checks. My question is has anyone ended up with diabetes of any type after?! Have an appointment today as I really believe I have. My fasting level this morning was 8.3 :( haven't checked it in ages!!!

Kind regards to all that answer

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I too had gestational with both my pregnancies...last one was 5 years ago. I had the yearly check ups afterwards and was in normal range but after my last pregnancy I was in the pre diabetes range, kept it there for 3 years and I felt it had gone right up! Went in dr to say I think they are running high (to be told the usual why do you think that) and sure enough hba1c in diabetic range, they re tested two weeks later and then confirmed type 2. I have since been asking for further tests to be done to check not LADA etc as don’t quite fit standard type 2. I’ve finally been referred to diabetes team with an appointment in 3 months time.
I think it’s great you are being on top of it and going in yourself, from having had gestational, I’d say you have a pretty good idea of your body and when sugars are low/high. ☺️
My diabetes nurse said that it’s a really high percentage of people that have gestational go on to get diabetes and I’d done well to last these years...my fasting sugars most days is around 9-13 and I’ve had evening readings up to 23 this last month, which is slightly alarming.
I really hope you get some help at the drs, and your latest hba1c is at a level you expect. Let us know how you go...

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I had my first child 28 years ago and had gestational diabetes and I was told it would probably return later in life but only about 5/6 years later it came back for good!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Justme0811

I had gestational diagnosed at 23 weeks, straight onto insulin, went after birth then came back 4 years as sudden onset after becoming very poorly on a weeks holiday, went straight to the GP on my return and was diagnosed t1, it's rare to get type 1 after gestational though, that was 7 years ago, now on a pump and use the Dexcom G6, fitter now than i've ever been :)

Reactions: Rose22

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first child 28 years ago and had gestational diabetes and I was told it would probably return later in life but only about 5/6 years later it came back for good!

Out of curiosity, how was your diet that whole time? Were you more careful to keep it at bay for longer do you think?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Justme0811

I had gestational diagnosed at 23 weeks, straight onto insulin, went after birth then came back 4 years as sudden onset after becoming very poorly on a weeks holiday, went straight to the GP on my return and was diagnosed t1, it's rare to get type 1 after gestational though, that was 7 years ago, now on a pump and use the Dexcom G6, fitter now than i've ever been :)

Do you know what causes T1 after gestational? Is diet a factor in the same way or does pregnancy do something to our bodies sometimes to trigger it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Do you know what causes T1 after gestational? Is diet a factor in the same way or does pregnancy do something to our bodies sometimes to trigger it?

It's not associated with diet, it's auto immune related, I have no family history of diabetes, what triggered the onset who knows it could of been stress as was working in a high pressured environment but that's just a guess, I gave up asking questions a long time ago as there were none. Type 1 diabetes onset after gestational however is rare, i've come the stat of 10% in regards to this.