What is the size of the needle in an artificial pancreas or continuous glucose monitors?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the size of the needle in an artificial pancreas or continuous glucose monitors?

Thanks!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you google specifically what your looking for you may be better off, I don't think a CGM uses needles I think like the Libre it is only a filament you are actually left with and the Libre filament sits 5mm under the skin xx

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
For my DIY artificial pancreas system, the filament of the Libre that I use for the CGM element is like a thin toothbrush bristle, around 4mm long and maybe 0.3mm in width. I’m Looping with Omnipod, the soft cannula is around 7mm long and 0.7mm in width.

I imagine other CGM sensors and pump cannulas (there are metal and different angles ones available for tubed pumps) have similar dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For my DIY artificial pancreas system, the filament of the Libre that I use for the CGM element is like a thin toothbrush bristle, around 4mm long and maybe 0.3mm in width. I’m Looping with Omnipod, the soft cannula is around 7mm long and 0.7mm in width.

I imagine other CGM sensors and pump cannulas (there are metal and different angles ones available for tubed pumps) have similar dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks you are super helpful.

Where can I buy such filaments?

How many days can they stay in the skin?
Do they clog or anything?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks you are super helpful.

Where can I buy such filaments?

How many days can they stay in the skin?
Do they clog or anything?
The filament is an integral part of a CGM sensor so isn’t bought separately. A Libre sensor lasts a fortnight before needing to be replaced, I’m not so sure about other brands like Dexcom.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The filament is an integral part of a CGM sensor so isn’t bought separately. A Libre sensor lasts a fortnight before needing to be replaced, I’m not so sure about other brands like Dexcom.

Can I buy one sensor like that?

I don't need the whole device, only the filament.

Where can I buy cheaply?

Also, can I buy a cannula separately?

Thanks!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Rabdos - now I am curious as your profile says diet only?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have been proposed to go into insulin

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sensors only last two weeks because they use the same enzyme (glucose oxidase) as test strips do - and after a while the stuff just wears out. Otherwise we’d have sensors that last much longer. A sensor consists of not just the very fragile filament (plus a device to implant it into your body) but a printed circuit board, battery and an NFC element that provides data when scanned by an NFC enabled device programmed with the correct algorithm to read the electrical signal. It also needs to be sterile. You can’t just buy “a filament”.

Many of us have, however, linked these sensors with a pump via a Bluetooth transmitter, self-built app, radio link and hackable pump to form a DIY artificial pancreas system that works well, so why try to reinvent the wheel when all the components are relatively simply to acquire? I built mine for less than three hundred quid using an old MacBook and the sensor and pump I am prescribed by the NHS.

However, if your team are proposing you start insulin, you need to learn how to use the drug properly before automating it’s delivery - otherwise if your system were to go wrong, you’ll be in a world of trouble and not know why. First learn injections, then become familiar with a pump before even thinking about building a DIY APS. There isn’t any official support for that sort of system and you need to know the nuts and bolts of it inside out.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The leap from diet only to insulin seems like a large one to me. There are other pharmaceutical options between the two that could be tried first.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

Several posts have just been deleted from this thread, because of a suggestion to send clinical waste through the post

This is a link to show how complicated and regulation bound the disposal of clinical waste is, in the UK
https://www.cannonhygiene.com/suppo...-–-where-does-your-clinical-waste-actually-go
Therefore such a request would place the receiver and any courier or post office workers, at risk.

In addition, I need to remind everyone that requesting personal details (including the names and addresses of other members (including to send something to them through the post) is against our forum rules. This particular rule is intended to protect our member’s safety. Anyone ‘soliciting’ another member’s personal details will be subject to moderation.

Please can any member asked for their personal details Report such requests immediately, whether the request is on the open forum, or via PM, for the moderation team to deal with the situation.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I need to get hold of a sensor, do they send trials?

I cannot spend £300 on it.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But I need to get hold of a sensor, do they send trials?

I cannot spend £300 on it.
No, you can purchase freestyle libre sensors from a pharmacy since Abbott aren't accepting new customers to purchase online. If you call around it varies from £46-52 per sensor. Dexcom G6 which is a CGM is more expensive.

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks!

I’ve had a cgm for about a month now and it’s a lot less painful then betting shot in the chest with a pump plus it’s so much more convenient checking your glucose level via your phone then making your fingers sore with all the lancets I totally recommend a cgm it’s made keeping my bloods the right level so much easier

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I want to record my glucose real-time
In that case, you just need to buy a Freestyle Libre sensor from a pharmacy, which you can scan if your phone is compatible - if not, then you can buy a scanner to do it.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, can I ask please, does the microneedle suck body fluid up to the device and the glucose is measured there or the tip of the microneedle senses glucose under the skin?

Thanks!