Concerned

Reemap

Hello All,

Past there days I started with LCHF diet and I am getting good numbers after the food. It’s 6.1 to 7.2.. fasting BG is also come in control it’s 5.6 to 6.1... just wanted to know after a evening snacks the number after two hours are 8.6..is that ok ?

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried not having any food after dinner? What kind of snack are you having?

Everyone's situation is of course going to be slightly different, but fasting for 12-14 hours each day helped me lower the numbers. So no evening snacks for me. If the number was too high before bed, I would do a few exercises with weights to bring it down before going to sleep.

Reactions: DJC3

Reemap

Have you tried not having any food after dinner? What kind of snack are you having?

Everyone's situation is of course going to be slightly different, but fasting for 12-14 hours each day helped me lower the numbers. So no evening snacks for me. If the number was too high before bed, I would do a few exercises with weights to bring it down before going to sleep.
Evening snacks is after 4 hours of lunch and before 3 hours of dinner. I have dinner at 9.00pm and don’t eat anything after that ..

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Evening snacks is after 4 hours of lunch and before 3 hours of dinner. I have dinner at 9.00pm and don’t eat anything after that ..

What time to you go to bed/sleep?

9 pm is late for an evening meal in the UK.
Many don't eat after 4 pm to allow the meal to be fully digested before bed time between 10 pm and midnight.

Reemap

What time to you go to bed/sleep?

9 pm is late for an evening meal in the UK.
Many don't eat after 4 pm to allow the meal to be fully digested before bed time between 10 pm and midnight.

I sleep around 1am as I have a five month old baby to take care. In India usually people have dinner around 9.00pm.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s some Indian snacks item like a mixture of peanuts, sometimes nutri choice biscuits.
Sounding carb heavy to me

Also as this is a fairly late dinner and bed what time is rising and breakfast? The longer you can make this period of not eating the better really. If that’s not feasible can you increase lunch and maybe delay that, to you keep to just meals rather than need snacks too

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Reemap

many drop down to one meal a day
me i get 2 meals a day.

the thinking is just like us, our bodies (in this case our insides) don't really want to be working all the time,
so a time of rest is good for them.

If we aren't shoveling in food 24/7 they get to shut down the insulin production and sit and chill.
the longer that goes on ( aka fasting) the better for them and the sooner they get back to a normal level.

early days i think that's hard to do..because we are still hungry later on

I found for me, that if i ate a meal 7pm
where i wouldn't normally have anything because i could eat later on.

i then started having a pudding..Yoghurt and blueberries
i then moved onto low sugar jelly and double cream

that left me full at that one sitting, so my insulin production kicked in, but that was it for the night as i was sated.
next morning i try to eat later in day, 11am..so that fast is from 7/8pm until 11am next day
so insulin, liver etc all had a god rest overnight.

So the snacks might just hold you back a little.
but great progress so far.

Reemap

Sounding carb heavy to me

Also as this is a fairly late dinner and bed what time is rising and breakfast? The longer you can make this period of not eating the better really. If that’s not feasible can you increase lunch and maybe delay that, to you keep to just meals rather than need snacks too
I wake up at around 8am and breakfast would be around 10am.. my schedule is little changed because of the baby . I am still breastfeeding so need to have food..

Reemap

Hi @Reemap

many drop down to one meal a day
me i get 2 meals a day.

the thinking is just like us, our bodies (in this case our insides) don't really want to be working all the time,
so a time of rest is good for them.

If we aren't shoveling in food 24/7 they get to shut down the insulin production and sit and chill.
the longer that goes on ( aka fasting) the better for them and the sooner they get back to a normal level.

early days i think that's hard to do..because we are still hungry later on

I found for me, that if i ate a meal 7pm
where i wouldn't normally have anything because i could eat later on.

i then started having a pudding..Yoghurt and blueberries
i then moved onto low sugar jelly and double cream

that left me full at that one sitting, so my insulin production kicked in, but that was it for the night as i was sated.
next morning i try to eat later in day, 11am..so that fast is from 7/8pm until 11am next day
so insulin, liver etc all had a god rest overnight.

So the snacks might just hold you back a little.
but great progress so far.
I would try intermediate fasting as soon as I complete the six months of breastfeeding to the baby. As of now I am trying to go on low carb .. I have cauli rice for lunch and dinner ..

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would try intermediate fasting as soon as I complete the six months of breastfeeding to the baby. As of now I am trying to go on low carb .. I have cauli rice for lunch and dinner ..

ah, then of that i know nothing.

best wishes to you and baby.
Namaste

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wake up at around 8am and breakfast would be around 10am.. my schedule is little changed because of the baby . I am still breastfeeding so need to have food..
In which case I’d increase breakfast, delay lunch and have more there too and then have dinner. Don’t forget if dropping carbs you need to increase fats to keep you feeling full for longer. And don’t forget you’ll probably need to increase fluids when going lower carb, especially important when breastfeeding.

Reemap

In which case I’d increase breakfast, delay lunch and have more there too and then have dinner. Don’t forget if dropping carbs you need to increase fats to keep you feeling full for longer. And don’t forget you’ll probably need to increase fluids when going lower carb, especially important when breastfeeding.
Ok.. will try that .. thanks for the reply ..

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

One thing; breastfeeding is probably disrupting your normal metabolism a bit and you could well see different numbers once you have finished.

Getting back to your original question, the numbers after the snack are a little high but not sky high.
What is your BG immediately before the snack?
Testing is usually before eating then two hours after first bite.
One significant thing is the difference between the pre and post meal numbers.

Reactions: jjraak