Forgot to inject night time levemir... what should I do?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Went to bed last night and made a correction dose with 1 unit of novo rapid at 9:30 (blood was 9.7) I think the high reading me off and I ended up forgetting to bolus my levemir!! I never usually forget :(.

This morning I woke up and it was 18.8!!! How should I proceed throughout the day? I've given myself the correction dose of novo rapid recommended by my Aviva expert.

I feel like I've got a hangover at the moment. Feeling fragile today. Any advice welcome.

T.i.a

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, we're not supposed to advise on dosage here, but in your position I'd probably wait the 12 hours till my next levemir injection was due. You could probably sneak it in a couple of hours early. But then you'll have to keep injecting extra novorapid to compensate for the missing levemir..... I'm guessing your aviva expert won't tell you the right amount because it assumes you've got basal on board, and you don't.

Keep testing, and remember to be careful about hypos from stacking insulin.

Alternatively, inject your levemir now, and have that as your new daily time of basal injection, move it 2 hours forward each day.

Do you have someone you can phone at your diabetes clinic to advise on this?

Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply.

I'm proceeding with caution and injected levemir and will take off two hours at a time. I'll set reminders in my phone from now on. It happens to the best of us. It was that pesky high reading last night that threw me off. I'm testing a lot now and will monitor throughout the day. It's coming down nicely so far.

Will be able to phone a nurse soon so will get more advice from her. Unfortunately I know the clinic is not open on Saturdays but there is a number to ring out of hours.

I'll see how the day progresses :)