T1 for 4 months, cracked wrist

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on insulin for 4 months. I was slowly going back to low carb to keep sugar down. I cracked my right wrist on Friday and have to use my left hand for everything. Very difficult, discouraging and stressful. Am typing with one finger of left hand. I can't make low carb meals or bake low carb treats for at least 6 wks. I will probably have to buy meals, which won't be low carb (I live alone). Would I just increase my mealtime insulin? Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Lynnzhealth Sorry to hear about your wrist, I hope this isn't too painful right now for you ?

What's your regime like in regards to insulin, so are you carb counting and taking insulin to match carbs eaten ?

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Lynnzhealth Sorry to hear about your wrist, I hope this isn't too painful right now for you ?

What's your regime like in regards to insulin, so are you carb counting and taking insulin to match carbs eaten ?

Thank you. It's not too painful, as long as I keep it elevated.

I take 2u of Tresiba in the a.m. with 4u of Humalog at breakfast, 1u of H for lunch and 1u for supper. I don't carb count. I find bread is bad, however I've always been a carboholic. I was originally diagnosed T2 and controlled it with LCHF. Then had a bad DKA episode in May, was hospitalized and as a result got off LCHF. It's been very difficult to get back on it. While I'm laid up I'm reading Dr. Bernstein's book for help and encouragement. Right now it's a bit of a roller coaster ride. I need to get leveled out. I'm thinking I need to either stop eating carbs or increase my mealtime insulin, until I have the use of both hands.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lynnzhealth I would say that your biggest issue is that you are taking specific amounts of bolus for 3 meals but then do not carb count to match. Which is why your levels are most likely higher than you would like. Going low carb is not a bad thing, it is a personal decision to the individual. However, it still requires carb counting to match it to the insulin you are taking. You could still be higher than you like or indeed go into hypo territory. Also the lower carb you go you will also need to take rises from protein into account. I feel you need to contact your DIabetes team for some advice.
Hoping the pain in your wrist dies down as the days go by.

Reactions: Lynnzhealth

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I second the "contact your team" advice.

You are on a basal/bolus regime, where the basal/Tresiba is meant to cover your background insulin needs while you're not eating and the Humalog/bolus is meant to balance out the food you eat (plus correction doses if your blood sugar goes high).

In the long run, you'll have a ratio of insulin to carbs (eg 1 unit to 10g) which will allow you to balance the amount you inject with the amount you eat, and a correction ratio (eg 1 unit of insulin reduces your blood sugar by 3mmol/l). Note those figures vary massively from person to person and I've just made them up as an example. Assuming you are T1/LADA, you are probably still producing quite a bit of insulin (honeymoon period) and your insulin needs are likely to gradually go up over the next few years or months. So your team should be keeping in touch with you to adjust your insulin amounts, teach you to carb count (or at least tell you how to teach yourself) and give you your insulin ratios.

Stress, illness and injury also tend to put your levels up: you really need to talk to your medical team.

Good luck, and get well soon.

Reactions: Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second the "contact your team" advice.

You are on a basal/bolus regime, where the basal/Tresiba is meant to cover your background insulin needs while you're not eating and the Humalog/bolus is meant to balance out the food you eat (plus correction doses if your blood sugar goes high).

In the long run, you'll have a ratio of insulin to carbs (eg 1 unit to 10g) which will allow you to balance the amount you inject with the amount you eat, and a correction ratio (eg 1 unit of insulin reduces your blood sugar by 3mmol/l). Note those figures vary massively from person to person and I've just made them up as an example. Assuming you are T1/LADA, you are probably still producing quite a bit of insulin (honeymoon period) and your insulin needs are likely to gradually go up over the next few years or months. So your team should be keeping in touch with you to adjust your insulin amounts, teach you to carb count (or at least tell you how to teach yourself) and give you your insulin ratios.

Stress, illness and injury also tend to put your levels up: you really need to talk to your medical team.

Good luck, and get well soon.

Thanks everyone for your help. My diabetic educator is out of the country until Oct. My luck. I called her office and a diabetic nurse is going to help. I emailed her my blood sugar numbers for the past week and she will get back to me. Thanks again. And thanks, Ellie M for explaining the B/B insulin. All this is new to me. I have been seeing my team more often since May when it was discovered I'm T1 and not T2 as diagnosed two years ago.

Reactions: EllieM

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor has raised my Tresiba by 1u and today raised my Humalog by 1u at breakfast. I check in with them again early next wk. Nurse said it's because of the extra stress I have with cracked wrist.