Simple eye scan could help detect undiagnosed type 2 diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

A pioneering eye scan has been developed which could help screen for undiagnosed type 2 diabetes in the future. The biomicroscope screening involves studying damaged proteins and lipids, known as advanced glycation end-products (AGEs), in the eye. These AGEs are formed as a result of reaction with sugars. Increased levels are associated with the development of many chronic diseases and are also associated with the complications of diabetes, such as retinopathy. The University of Exeter carried out a pilot study which involved 20 people with type 2 diabetes, 20 people with prediabetes and 20 healthy people of a similar age. The biomicroscope focuses a blue light beam onto the lens, which measures the level of AGEs. The screening was shown to be successful, as the results revealed there were significantly higher levels of AGEs in the eyes of people with type 2 diabetes. There were also increased levels seen in those with prediabetes, meaning this scan could potentially be used to test the risk of progression from prediabetes to type 2. Dr Mitra Tavakoli, Senior Lecturer in Medicine at University of Exeter Medical School, who led the study, said: "The results of this preliminary study showed the lens autofluorescence is significantly greater in patients with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes. The level [sic] of AGE products were correlated with the levels of blood sugar. "Lens autofluorescence could be a robust marker of long-term diabetes control, predicting future complication risks. This supports the feasibility of non-invasive lens autofluorescence to screen subjects for undiagnosed type 2 diabetes and prediabetes subjects. "Although this is a pilot study, is an exciting, emerging new tool for early detection and monitoring the treatment of patients. It could improve the lives of people with type 2 diabetes by reducing complications. However larger and long-term clinical studies are needed to confirm these findings."

Continue reading...

M

Member496333

Very interesting and no doubt potentially an extremely useful diagnostic tool, but while we wait for the clinical trials we could also just start testing for insulin dysfunction with a regular blood test and give ourselves a ten year headstart on the development of glucose problems before they even occur? Maybe doctors are too busy getting bent out of shape over cholesterol testing...

Reactions: Robbity

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Q..Why..?

So they can tell THEM EARLIER it's progressive, better get ready for Limb loss and intensive medication.
But on the bright side, bloke in bed 4 wants to buy your slippers...strewth...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

So we are looking to predict type 2 in the Future,..nice idea IF we wanted to help them

Yet they are unwilling to help those who ALREADY have it get better sooner by:
* Discouraging the use of Glucose Meters,
* Relying on outdated medical advice PROVEN to fail, that is more akin to the world of Catweazle
then this modern internet world, where up to date knowledge IS freely available yet seems to have passed the majority of HCP by, and left them sat on the hard shoulder if the Information highway,, medical wise...:rolleyes:

(I"m starting to feel like the main character in
"life on Mars"..forever stuck with the medical ,"Sweeney". )

Thank God they DON'T treat other diseases in such a lackadaisical cack handed manner

"Sorry you've got cancer Mr Smith..not much we can do about it, as we can't be bothered to keep up with the best treatments for YOU and THIS awful disease.
Best we can do is suggest:
# you cancel your yearly subscription to Amazon..
# don't start reading any big books,
# and maybe max out your credit cards, "

Thank god that is not the real world for others :)

but WHY is THAT, the reality for us..?

Answers in a E-Mail please to:
[email protected].

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm delighted more undiagnosed adults can be court. I'm hoping kids get priority but I bet not.
If only I had been diagnosed sooner. I was very very interested in foreign research then on PCOS. I pressed to be on London's blind studies after success in USA.