Dexcom G6 sensor issues?

Petal85

Hi all. My OH was recently diagnosed T1 (LADA) and has been using Dexcom for about a month. The first sensor lasted the full 10 days but since then they’ve only been lasting 4-5 days. Dexcom has been good and sent a couple of replacements but it’s really worrying when it happens if you’re out and about. He got it to be free of pricking fingers and carrying the glucose monitor around but seems we need to carry it in case of failure. Anyone else had similar problems?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I cannot comment on Dexcom issues but technology has room to fail and it doesn’t stop us from finger pricking. So we cannot rely it on 100% of the time. It’s the same for other CGMs like medtronic guardian sensors - I think people have to calibrate it 3-4 times a day. Libre which isn’t a CGM can be inaccurate too. So if you are facing issues and Dexcom has sent replacements, then I don’t have much to add.
I think there are some videos online to show how they’ve made the sensors last longer.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Why is it not lasting? Falling off or going erratic?? I use a Dexcom and I even restart mine and the one I have on is over 30 days and still going strong. This one I tested yesterday and it was only 8 points off after 10 minutes, so I am not worried about relying on it. I use Skin Tac to keep them on when I first apply it and to touch up after it has been on and the edges start to come up.

Some people do complain they have issues with how long they last, if you are on the skinny side, especially a BMI of under 20 people seem to have more of an issue. They let them "soak" for a day before they start them and that has helped.

Reactions: Froggychops

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've been using the G6 since it was introduced and never had a failure of a sensor or transmitter. Occasionally I'll get a sensor error which usually sorts itself within half an hour or on a phone reboot. There are a lot less posts on any of the forum about sensor failure with the dexcom than other blood sensors. I've never had one fall off or cause skin problems as I did with the Libre.

With reference to accuracy and finger testing, I still test, usually first thing in the morning to check sensor accuracy and occasionally more often if my senses tell me the reading given by the sensor isn't right. Allowing for the interstitial lag I've had to calibrate possibly half a dozen times. Even though I believe the G6 to be both accurate and reliable, I do still carry my finger testing kit with me along with insulin & jelly babies which I rarely need outside the house. I've never needed to restart a sensor as I have the subscription and that means I don't have a need to extend sensor life.

Hope your experience improves.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Also wanted to add that if you calibrate it too many times too close together you will mess it up and it will freeze up. It's best to wait a couple of hours before a second calibration, and maybe only calibrate it at most 2-3 times a day. I did that with one of mine and it got confused and failed because I was trying to get it more accurate.

I restart the sensors because
1) Less hassle, I just press some buttons instead of putting on a new one.
2) They are more reliable immediately after restart and first calibration and seem to stay really close to my actual numbers. It allows me to keep the accurate ones on and switch out a funky one if I don't like it. New ones I have to calibrate more at first. The older they are the more they seem to stay consistent for me anyway, until they go.
3) In the case of some of the MRI's or tests I've had done, I pull them off and not care because they are already past 10 days.
4) What's really nice is I have a back up of 9 sensors in my cupboard. I have stopped having them sent to me because I have a good supply. I have now managed to have a back up transmitter too, that I will cycle to make sure the battery stays okay.

They are switching the transmitters on the new ones you get to try to prevent restarts. So restarts might be a thing of the past, I will miss the ease of a restarted sensor.

I don't think I pay for my sensors, and if I do it's only $25 per sensor, but my insurance only billed me the first time and the others they didn't so I'm not sure lol.

To keep them on for me, even past the first few days of a new sensor, I have to apply Skin Tac, I didn't with the Libre. But my Dexcom immediately started coming off within a day. Skin Tac works great and I can touch up under the edges if needed.