Type 1 Can my boy get diabetes like me?

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type one diabetic have been for 19 years ( diagnosed at 3), since I've had my little boy I'm always worrying if he would get type one diabetes too. My doctors never spoke to me if he could get it too.
Thanks in advance

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Genetics can play a part, though how much in any one case is nigh on impossible to predict

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both of my parents and my grandparents don't have diabetes, so it was quite puzzling when I was diagnosed. Our GP at the time asked "do you know anyone in your family who has diabetes?" and both my parents said no. It could have skipped a few generations or they died early because back then they didn't have any medication. But according to papers that I have read, apparently risks are high if one or both parents have diabetes but it might not happen.
I had a similar discussion with my bf about our future little ones and we both said we are not afraid if one of our kids was diagnosed with diabetes or clubbed feet. (My bf has clubbed feet and I have diabetes) Because we would know sooner compared to when I was diagnosed and technology is improving. According to my bf, they don't operate on clubbed feet now, apparently it's more gentle now compared to how he had it.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They say the risk is higher if a parent has diabetes.

I was told that the risk is about 1 in 30 with a T1 mum. It's actually slightly worse with a T1 dad. (And worse again if you have multiple T1 relatives, though the genetic link is far far weaker than that for T2s). But there have been identical twins where only 1 has T1, so it's clear that there's a lot more than genetics going on.

There's also a genetic test you can do to see if you have one of the markers that may make you susceptible to T1. (I know this because my daughter had the test done because they were looking for relatives of T1s for a study to see if a nasal treatment would make people less likely to get T1. She didn't have the marker, so wasn't part of the study, and I don't know what its results were. (It was about eight years ago.)

My T1 mother had no diabetics in her family and was therefore nearly in DKA when diagnosed. As a result I only had to once wake in the night asking for water to get a urine test (this is pre glucometer) and a trip to the doctor to be diagnosed. At the time naive 8 year old me wanted the ensuing blood tests to come up positive, because I was told that if they didn't I would have to have more blood tests to make sure.:):):). Now obviously she was devastated (and felt guilty though it really wasn't her fault) about my diagnosis, and remember in those days diabetes was still regarded as a serious life shortener (though she made it to 78 in the end and would have lived longer if it weren't for the 50 years of nicotine addiction.) But as far as I was concerned, it made my T1 childhood carefree, as I was in a house where diabetes was normal and my mother could help me with all my T1 stuff. (She even splashed out and bought disposable syringes for me, she had been using the reusable NHS ones:)).

As a T1 mother, I've always been aware that there is a (small but higher than for other kids) chance that my kids would get T1. I've managed to restrain myself from doing blood tests when they got sick or thirsty, but I used urine testing strips to appease my paranoia. If they got T1 (not likely now as they are in their twenties) I would have picked it up very quickly because you excrete sugar as soon as your blood sugar goes over 10.

So yes, @Moosh97 , your son could get T1, as could any child with non diabetic parents. But it's not very likely, and if he does get it you will be able to give him the best T1 care. There's no point in worrying about it. (Though I won't blame you for worrying if he gets unusually thirsty, as that's what mothers do. :))

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But there have been identical twins where only 1 has T1, so it's clear that there's a lot more than genetics going on.

I'm one of them! At least, my brother doesn't have T1 - yet...

If they got T1 (not likely now as they are in their twenties)

Actually the odds are not massively lower, around 50% of T1's are diagnosed after 20.

Shiba.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend does not have T1 but her daughter does. My friend's brother also has it - so it's in the family genetics some how.

But I got diagnosed at 43 and no one in my family has it.