Hi from a new diabetic caused by necrotic pancreatitis

Twinkles

Hello everyone
I am so delighted to find this forum.. I had acute gall stone pancreatitis two years ago. I was in hospital for two months and had a massive cyst. I dont take creon but I am now diabetic. I think this illness traumatised me! So healthy then basically so ill i was tube fed for six weeks. It is still pretty much in my head. Diabetes was the last thing I wanted to have but...ahem....here I am. Blood sugar down from 25 plus to about ten with glyclicide twice a day. Lost three stone in weight and eating more healthily than I have in my life. Feel quite down about it though and need a few success stories to remind me I can regain a life. Also realising that I actually got off lightly compared to some....shockingly horrible thing to happen to anyone. Delighted to be part of this group folks, thanks for having me

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. You’ve certainly landed here by the hard route. It’s understandable to be traumatized by that.

I’m a classic T2 and went from am HbAc of 11.8% to 5.9% in 3 months, and lower since then, so “lifestyle” changes can certainly make a major impact.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Twinkles
Good to have you around even if that was a pretty rubbish reason for ending up here.
Things will fade and you’ll get used to the new normal.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Twinkles Welcome to the forum :)

I think most of us were traumatised by our diagnosis, it's quite a shock to go from healthy to living with a health condition, it's been associated with the Kubler-Ross model of stages of grief: 1. Denial, 2. Anger, 3. Bargaining, 4. Depression, 5. Acceptance

Being on a forum will help as you can speak to others with a similar experience and feel supported, needless to say your not alone here.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

You have had a rough journey up to this point. Hopefully things will settle for a bit, at least until you get a chance to adjust.

Douglasw

Good to hear from people with this diagnosis, I am classed as type 1 but went through the same as you with gallstones and pancreatitis, had my gallbladder removed and thought that was me, after some further tests I was told my pancreas was necrotic, never thought much of it as I had changed my diet, February this year and I had blood sugar levels of 30 plus and ended up back in hospital and now take insulin four times a day, it has been a struggle at times but I feel that I have got there now and this site has helped so much with the advice and support of the other members. Keep going and things do improve,

Reactions: Ledzeptt